Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

17 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t think anyone’s said this. But I also don’t think anyone should be super confident about his chances of getting through the season without further issue. 

What I keep trying to find out is, does having a mild UCL sprain increase the chances of a full-on TJS-level UCL injury later on? 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

What I keep trying to find out is, does having a mild UCL sprain increase the chances of a full-on TJS-level UCL injury later on? 

Without the PCP injection? I have to believe it would, but again, IANAD. With the PCP? Who knows. 

18 hours ago, dystopia said:

The fact is, none of us are doctors (or at least most of us) and we don’t know the extent of the injury. We can be fairly confident it’s minor since he’s pitching, or at least minor as far a UCL is concerned. 

I am a doctor and I don’t know. Somebody asked though if a partial tear (sprain) made it more likely to have a complete tear.  Yes, if a partial tear is there and not completely healed then sure the extreme forces of a ML pitching role can make it recur. 
But medicine is about percentages.. individuals heal outside expectations all the time 

• Thanks 1

Stating the obvious, but it's not a question of whether he can pitch. It's a question as to whether he can pitch like Kyle Bradish. If not, we will regret not shutting him down and having him ready for 2025.

• Upvote 1

I am hoping for the best but it's hard not to look around the league and see all these pitchers going down and just kind of being resigned to the fact that Bradish is probably that guy for us this year. Our contribution to the rash of pitcher injuries. Maybe he makes it back for a couple starts, but something just tells me he's gonna go down again. 

That's my defense mechanism anyway, but of course hoping I'm wrong. 

I imagine he will start one of their home games from 4/11 - 4/14.   Aberdeen goes on the road after that till the 21st. 

If I had to predict I’d say this,

1. Aberdeen Th 4/11

2. Bowie W 4/17

3. Norfolk W 4/23

4. Norfolk Sun 4/28

These are just days when the affiliates happen to be home. I wouldn’t imagine we’d send him on the road. Maybe we give him one more start while he’s still in the 30 day period. 

Just pray he holds up. 

The interview was quite good. I had pictured the doctor as some grizzled old octogenarian, but he looks like one of those models who is constantly popping up on my YouTube channel telling me how to lose weight and get fit.

I wonder if the solution is just to throw less complicated pitches?

Edited by Philip