Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I know, I'm talking about as a prophylactic measure. As in, just give every pitcher a PRP injection in the hopes it lowers the risk of a UCL tear.

I thought about this too.  I'm not a doctor (but I do have a degree in Exercise Science), I have doubts that PRP would have much of an impact if there is not an existing injury.  PRP injections stimulate the healing process, but if there is no injury or no inflammation then perhaps there is nothing to trigger any response?

Now, UCL injuries can start off very small and gradually turn into a major tear over time, and when it first starts can go unnoticed.  If pitchers had imaging done on their arm on a recurring basis as a precautionary measure, then I guess they could catch those cases where the damage to the ligament is so minor the pitcher doesn't even feel any pain, and try PRP therapy to see if the ligament can heal.

Edited by yark14

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

I thought about this too.  I'm not a doctor (but I do have a degree in Exercise Science), I have doubts that PRP would have much of an impact if there is not an existing injury.  PRP injections stimulate the healing process, but if there is no injury or no inflammation then perhaps there is nothing to trigger any response?

Now, UCL injuries can start off very small and gradually turn into a major tear over time, and when it first starts can go unnoticed.  If pitchers had imaging done on their arm on a recurring basis as a precautionary measure, then I guess they could catch those cases where the damage to the ligament is so minor the pitcher doesn't even feel any pain, and try PRP therapy to see if the ligament can heal.

Install an MRI machine right next to the whirlpool.

26 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

Install an MRI machine right next to the whirlpool.

Perhaps instead of umpires checking their hands and gloves after each inning, they should get an MRI after each inning the second they get to the dugout.  Just have the machine right next to the player's cubbies.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Almost couldn’t have been better.  Could not have hoped for a better first rehab outing.  Time to dream on what this rotation could look like with Bradish back.   (Crossing fingers.)

I refuse to dream on anything until he's in Baltimore for a few starts and all signs point to him being able to complete the rest of the season without any hiccups.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, yark14 said:

You could argue every pitcher has some inflammation after a start

9 hours ago, yark14 said:

if you really wanted to get wacky  you could intentionally damage the weak parts of the UCL (but not enough to qualify as a full tear) and apply the PRP, but that seems awfully risky.  I really don't think the risk is worth it unless there's some discomfort that needs to be healed.

Edited by Hallas

Bowie manager Roberto Mercado said after the game that Bradish came away from the outing feeling like he was ready to continue his rehab progression. And beyond the way he commanded his entire arsenal, the strongest indicator of where Bradish is might have come from the obscenities he occasionally shouted.

While the fear was Bradish’s post-pitch four-letter words were related to his elbow, it was instead in frustration after he didn’t execute a pitch. Bradish had high expectations for himself, and that’s usually the territory of healthy pitchers, not injured ones.

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I refuse to dream on anything until he's in Baltimore for a few starts and all signs point to him being able to complete the rest of the season without any hiccups.  

Well, you’re no fun at all.   

Actually, with Wells out and Means looking just so-so, I’m now wondering if the O’s might accelerate Bradish’s return if he progresses well the next two times out.   Let’s say next time he goes 4 IP/60ish pitches, and then 5 IP/75ish.   At that point, does he really need any more rehab, or is he just wasting bullets throwing pitches in the minors that he may as well throw in the majors?   Admittedly, I wouldn’t be talking this way if he hadn’t been so dominant yesterday.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well, you’re no fun at all.   

Actually, with Wells out and Means looking just so-so, I’m now wondering if the O’s might accelerate Bradish’s return if he progresses well the next two times out.   Let’s say next time he goes 4 IP/60ish pitches, and then 5 IP/75ish.   At that point, does he really need any more rehab, or is he just wasting bullets throwing pitches in the minors that he may as well throw in the majors?   Admittedly, I wouldn’t be talking this way if he hadn’t been so dominant yesterday.  

I am no fun.

But I agree with your point about wasting bullets.  If he looks good the next two times out and he's approaching 80 pitches, what's the hold up?  

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

It'll be interesting to see if he goes Sunday or Tuesday from here.

Sunday might crack the door on a return during the Yankees series if he then went on Friday 4.26 and Thursday 5.2.

I think they'll wait until next Tuesday though.

I’ll bet on Sunday.   Otherwise, they’re just back in that same position after next Tuesday.  And, yesterday wasn’t a very stressful outing.  

34 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Rill's phrasing is a little indefinite, but sounds like Sunday it is.     If he covers 60 here and 80 next Friday or Saturday....they wouldn't bring him back against the Yankees a week from Thursday, would they?

I feel like there's a good argument for both. On the one hand you could say that it's a lot to throw him in there against a division rival with a tough lineup and the adrenaline spike making him throw a little too hard/wild right off the bat. 

On the other hand you could say who knows how long he'll last this year and shoot your shot while he's healthy.