Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

The interview was quite good. I had pictured the doctor as some grizzled old octogenarian, but he looks like one of those models who is constantly popping up on my YouTube channel telling me how to lose weight and get fit.

I wonder if the solution is just to throw less complicated pitches?

What interview? Link?

On 4/9/2024 at 8:30 PM, Roy Firestone said:

I dont mean to be a negative Nellie...but I have YET to see a pitcher pitch effectively with an even slightly injured UCL..and that plasma thing has rarely if ever worked...its true we dont know the extent of his injury and Im guessing the Orioles wouldn't risk a more serious injury...but I'd be shocked if he came back and pitched well this season...and yes, I hope I'm wrong...im hoping Means CAN come back and pitch effectively...that would be huge..

There’s that world famous Firestone Reverse Lock!!!

Dont make me cry Roy!!!

On 4/9/2024 at 8:34 PM, yark14 said:

This interview is priceless.  I was surprised that he suggested allowing tack could be helpful, but makes sense.  Really hadn't thought of it that way.

Great interview. Couple takeaways for me:

• Allow limited tack - even the batters feel safer knowing the pitchers have better control
    • If this gives pitchers too much of an advantage, maybe it would be offset by the assumed benefits to hitters from the introduction of the automated strike zone?
  • Can MLB build in allowable time-outs for pitchers that don't count against the three step-offs with baserunners?
  • Thanks 1

I posted in another thread a few days ago, but I definitely don't think the game is going to get rid of the max effort velo/spin pitches. The only way to mitigate the associated risk this is to let these guys throw less, both in individual games and in accumulated outings/year.

It would be nice if we actually got some decent science on the risk windows. It feels very much to me like the ramp up part of the season is high-risk (see Bradish). If I were running a team, I'd be figuring out how to really ease my guys into the season through light offseason throwing programs and very controlled environments (e.g., 2 curves per session, 2 changes, etc.). Then, if they make it through the ramp up well, I wonder if there's a safer window of 2-3 months, during which guys are thriving but accumulating stress on their ligaments. Then as the season goes on, the injuries come again (see Bautista). 

But that's my theory. As a father of a pitcher and fan of many more, I would love some actual science on this.

Doesn't this timeline seem really fast? It makes me think the injury was either very mild to start (relatively), or they want to hurry up and sink or swim so they can get the surgery if it still hurts. 

Just now, capyy said:

Doesn't this timeline seem really fast? It makes me think the injury was either very mild to start (relatively), or they want to hurry up and sink or swim so they can get the surgery if it still hurts. 

He was hurt in the offseason (January).

It isn't as if this started in Spring Training.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was hurt in the offseason (January).

It isn't as if this started in Spring Training.

hmm. i had thought it was right at the start of spring training.

so he's been on recovery plan since January? 

3 hours ago, capyy said:

hmm. i had thought it was right at the start of spring training.

so he's been on recovery plan since January? 

He was shut down from throwing between the injury (sometime in January) and the beginning of spring training, when they began to have him work in gradual throwing over increasing flat ground distances for the majority of camp. He wasn't pitching off a mound until late in ST, and we haven't gotten much of an update since then with him reporting back to Sarasota.

All of us I'm sure are interested to see how he looks and what he's throwing in that first rehab start, and then unfortunately we'll probably be watching every pitch with bated breath for the rest of his season, however long that ends up being.

On 4/11/2024 at 12:19 PM, ThisIsBirdland said:

Great interview. Couple takeaways for me:

• Allow limited tack - even the batters feel safer knowing the pitchers have better control
    • If this gives pitchers too much of an advantage, maybe it would be offset by the assumed benefits to hitters from the introduction of the automated strike zone?
  • Can MLB build in allowable time-outs for pitchers that don't count against the three step-offs with baserunners?

Watched this at 3am this morning.  Mesmerizing.  Thanks so much for sharing it, the guy covers all of the concerns in detail and it really does paint a much fuller picture of how much it's on the players (and coaches?) to rein in the velocity and pitch repertoire, while desperate for any bump they can get to either start or prolong their careers.  

I also thought the time-outs for pitchers was a fascinating idea, as long as it's limited.  I mean, really limited.  Batters have already made it almost automatic that they claim a time-out after 2 strikes, just about every batter.  If pitchers are taking time-outs in every at bat, seems like all the gains in pace of play will be erased. 

Perhaps they can get a time-out after an AB that goes longer than, say, 10 pitches, but only after the AB is over, so the batter still has the advantage of having worked him in a good, long at bat?

4 minutes ago, justD said:

Watched this at 3am this morning.  Mesmerizing.  Thanks so much for sharing it, the guy covers all of the concerns in detail and it really does paint a much fuller picture of how much it's on the players (and coaches?) to rein in the velocity and pitch repertoire, while desperate for any bump they can get to either start or prolong their careers.  

I also thought the time-outs for pitchers was a fascinating idea, as long as it's limited.  I mean, really limited.  Batters have already made it almost automatic that they claim a time-out after 2 strikes, just about every batter.  If pitchers are taking time-outs in every at bat, seems like all the gains in pace of play will be erased. 

Perhaps they can get a time-out after an AB that goes longer than, say, 10 pitches, but only after the AB is over, so the batter still has the advantage of having worked him in a good, long at bat?

But if they do that they will, as a whole, be less effective.  That will lead to more scoring, longer innings, more pitches, more walks.

Guys aren't going to go back to trying to slap oppo singles just because the pitchers aren't throwing as hard.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if they do that they will, as a whole, be less effective.  That will lead to more scoring, longer innings, more pitches, more walks.

Guys aren't going to go back to trying to slap oppo singles just because the pitchers aren't throwing as hard.

I couldn't agree more that it has almost zero chance of occurring.  

It's possible, then, that doing something about being able to grip the baseball better and/or taking those time-outs will be looked at as more likely "solutions."