Means behind schedule and won't be ready by opening day

Tony-OH

I have a little extra hope as Means was so durable almost all of 2015-2021.

He's told the story he was sitting on his couch in September 2018 when Dan and Buck gave him those first 7 service days, and I remember that hitting me odd but over time it has grown more understandable - he was 2nd MLB-wide in Minors innings at all levels 2015-2018.

I believe it was that run that was basic to him being able to grow the skills to become MLB competitive from the 11th round.

But this moment, he's in the land of Pitchers who get Hurt tend to stay Hurt.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

I disagree on Wright. I have spoken to him and his sister a few times. He was having some personal issues with his mom that might have affected him emotionally at times. 

Our Story | Wright State of Mind
https://wrightstateofmind.org/our-story

This serves as a good reminder that there’s a lot more to a player than what you see on the field.   I won’t say that it changes my opinion of the on-field player, but it sheds some light on Wright as a person.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

My hope is that it’s a contract year for Means so he has extra motivation to try and get back and pitch asap. He seems like a dude that puts in a lot of time in the gym, so I don’t think this is from a lack of busting his butt rehabbing. Just a tricky injury. 

I think the whole “contract year” concept is highly overrated.  I don’t think there’s any evidence that players on average do better in their final year before free agency.  You hear about the ones who do because they become hot commodities that winter.  But just as many have bad years.  And these guys have plenty of incentive the whole time leading up to their contract year.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the whole “contract year” concept is highly overrated.  I don’t think there’s any evidence that players on average do better in their final year before free agency.  You hear about the ones who do because they become hot commodities that winter.  But just as many have bad years.  And these guys have plenty of incentive the whole time leading up to their contract year.  

I think the contract year was a much bigger deal when PEDs were a much bigger deal. You can also see why players used the “coming back from injury” excuse to use. Means situation would be the poster child for that. 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if there is any evidence to suggest one way or the other as well.  I do think there is more incentive to be the 'best you can be' in the contract year.  That doesn't mean you can snap your fingers and make it happen, but the incentive is definitely there to make that last bold statement before teams start bidding for your services.

I also think that's why Elias prefers pitchers on one-year deals.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Blake Snell wants a word ;)

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Looks like Means at the earliest will be back around May 1st or so.

John Means making progress but not likely to pitch in any spring games - Blog
https://www.masnsports.com/orioles-rss/john-means-making-progress-but-not-likely-to-pitch-in-any-spring-games

Pretty much what we all assumed I think. Thanks for posting this.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a couple days out from an AL only league where resource allocation I need to take a position whether Means is still bothered by whatever it was in October, or if Elias is just load managing him knowing the 2024 pitch budget given how 2023 played out.

Will John Means ace his April minor league outings and enter the Orioles rotation May 1 at full strength?

Any wobbles and arguably he couldn't outperform Tyler Wells, Cole Irvin or Chayce McDermott if they are in good form.