Orioles 2024 Spring Training Tracker

Tony-OH

Updated through yesterday's game against Pirates.

- Gunnar with a big day at the plate
- Mateo gets start at 2B and still hasn't played the OF
- Hays started in CF with Mullins out
- Bad day for Zimmerman
- Teheran tosses two more scoreless innings.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

This part baffles me a bit.  If Mateo is a 'only' a backup MI/PR type that limits his utility to the team because it cuts into Westburg/Urias time.  If he can play CF, then it kinda adds a roster spot.

Following the money, there's definitely a speed/defense valuation at play (a knowm measurable floor).  But the only way to unlock that value is to utilize it with playing time.

If Mateo is primarily utilized as the RHH MI, then Urias and/or Westburg have a utility issue... and that's without Mayo!

Elias has to be betting on some type of MI injury to open up the trade market.

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

This part baffles me a bit.  If Mateo is a 'only' a backup MI/PR type that limits his utility to the team because it cuts into Westburg/Urias time.  If he can play CF, then it kinda adds a roster spot.

Following the money, there's definitely a speed/defense valuation at play (a knowm measurable floor).  But the only way to unlock that value is to utilize it with playing time.

If Mateo is primarily utilized as the RHH MI, then Urias and/or Westburg have a utility issue... and that's without Mayo!

Elias has to be betting on some type of MI injury to open up the trade market.

It really is strange because with Urias on the team, assuming no trade and Holliday making the team, he's going to be the backup 3B/2B with Holliday being the backup SS. That mean if Mateo is kept on the roster, he needs to be able to show he can back up CF and maybe even play some Camden Yards LF. 

Maybe they are trying to showcase Mateo as an infielder for trade? I'm sure there is a method to the madness but for now, its surprising Mateo is not getting outfield time.

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It really is strange because with Urias on the team, assuming no trade and Holliday making the team, he's going to be the backup 3B/2B with Holliday being the backup SS. That mean if Mateo is kept on the roster, he needs to be able to show he can back up CF and maybe even play some Camden Yards LF. 

Maybe they are trying to showcase Mateo as an infielder for trade? I'm sure there is a method to the madness but for now, its surprising Mateo is not getting outfield time.

If showcasing, he regretfully made an error at 2B last night. His usual lack-of-focus type of error.

BTW, Dillon Tate looked strong again last night. Healthy and in command. Wish I hadn’t been socializing or I would’ve paid better attention to his velocity. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, justD said:

If showcasing, he regretfully made an error at 2B last night. His usual lack-of-focus type of error.

BTW, Dillon Tate looked strong again last night. Healthy and in command. Wish I hadn’t been socializing or I would’ve paid better attention to his velocity. 

Priorities!! :D

Thanks for the report. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Updated through yesterday's game against Pirates.

- Gunnar with a big day at the plate
- Hays started in CF with Mullins out
- Bad day for Zimmerman
- Teheran tosses two more scoreless innings.

Actually Mateo did start in CF Sunday against Pittsburgh

Just read this tidbit on perhaps signature significance of Albert Suarez letting the 4-seam eat one time through the order.    Valdez of course helped the other day by putting something new on film for the other Sigbots to analyze.

By needing only 17 swings to induce his 10 misses, that works out to a whiff rate of 58.8%. Only five pitchers across the entire Majors last season registered at least 10 whiffs and a 58.8% whiff rate in a single game with their four-seamer: Max Scherzer, Aaron Nola, Freddy Peralta, Yusei Kikuchi and Bryce Miller.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, justD said:

Kinda rough for Nathan Webb and Ronald Guzmán not getting any game time, but exposure to major league camp is good I guess?

Nathan Webb is coming back from TJ surgery and was not ready to pitch and Guzman reported late due to Visa issues according to Roch. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Are there going to be a lot of O's players that are out of options being designated and hope to clear waivers?  We have a lot of players out of options.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/orioles

The bullpen is where a lot of guys are out of options. Webb, Baumann, and Perez all are out of options and should make the team.

McKenna is really the only position player in jeopardy although Urias and Mateo are out of options too. 

Nevin and Maton are most likely getting cut so they are at risk as well, but they were always depth guys anyways. Maton had a real chance to win a job but has been pretty bad all spring at the plate so far.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/orioles

The bullpen is where a lot of guys are out of options. Webb, Baumann, and Perez all are out of options and should make the team.

McKenna is really the only position player in jeopardy although Urias and Mateo are out of options too. 

Nevin and Maton are most likely getting cut so they are at risk as well, but they were always depth guys anyways. Maton had a real chance to win a job but has been pretty bad all spring at the plate so far.

McKenna's HR today went 409 ft, exit velo 106.8.  Doing what he can to keep a spot!

Chayce McDermott looked pretty good today, hovering around 95 on his FB and getting quite a few swings-and-misses, albeit mostly against minor leaguers late in the game. Also made a nice play to cover 1B in the 9th while holding a runner at 3rd. 

McDermott3-10.png.299def1ca1173f35aa50eddaa8ca5d1d.png

McDermottStatCast3-10.thumb.png.68a865b37c94bf8174f92475591e6100.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1