Kimbrel Spring Training

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I've said repeatedly that I don't think the 2023 team was as good as their record I'll be disappointed if the 2024 team doesn't even manage a WC.

This team should be good enough that the FO should be thinking about what to do in October in March.

I have no doubt the FO is thinking about October in March. They probably also think about -March ‘25, October ‘25 and even further.   I’d say it’s more than a little likely they think about it often. 

• Upvote 1

Not worried about this outing at all. 

He isn’t what he used to be. That said he allowed only a .181 BA last year. Noticed runners were 12-12 in steals last year. I know steals were up but for his career it’s an outlier. BABIP was only .239 which is lower than normal for him. Career is .266. 

Just feels like to me there are some games where when he is off he is way off. Guy has pitched in a ton of postseason games in his career. 

• 3 weeks later...

Kimbrel was absolutely unhittable tonight.  Struck out the side and got a ton of whiffs.   First K was on a curve, second on a fastball, third on a changeup.   Forget about those early outings, he’s ready for the season now.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kimbrel was absolutely unhittable tonight.  Struck out the side and got a ton of whiffs.   First K was on a curve, second on a fastball, third on a changeup.   Forget about those early outings, he’s ready for the season now.  

Did you catch the last batter mouth "what the f was that" after striking out on that change up? That's not in his known repertoire, so that's intriguing. It was a good one too.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Did you catch the last batter mouth "what the f was that" after striking out on that change up? That's not in his known repertoire, so that's intriguing. It was a good one too.

A.J., on Foul Territory , was busting Kimbrel's chops about working on the changeup one spring and if he's still working on it.  Kimbrel said "I've been working on a changeup since I was 12.   Maybe I'll master it one day".

• Upvote 1