2024 Red Sox

Moose Milligan

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39658830/red-sox-rhp-lucas-giolito-elbow-miss-season

Initial imaging showed damage in the right elbow of Boston Red Sox starter Lucas Giolito that could cause him to miss the 2024 season, league sources told ESPN.

Giolito, who was expected to be the Red Sox's Opening Day starter, has a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament and flexor strain that could require surgery that would likely keep him out for the entirety of 2024, according to sources.

Giolito, 29, was one of just three free agent signings by the Red Sox over the winter, alongside reliever Liam Hendriks -- who is expected to miss most, if not all, of 2024 after undergoing Tommy John surgery -- and right-hander Cooper Criswell. While Red Sox chairman Tom Werner had suggested at the outset of the winter that the team would take a "full throttle" approach to free agency, Giolito's two-year, $38.5 million contract represented more than three-quarters of their $49.5 million outlay, which ranks 13th in Major League Baseball.

On 3/7/2024 at 6:59 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I heard it said that Latin American players are more open to signing these early contract extensions.  I have no stats to back this up.  Just something I saw written before.  

Red Sox hometown announcers calling the MLB Network feed of their game in the Dominican Republic with the Rays this afternoon just had the tidbit Fenway Park will be the LAST park to have its Opening Day this season when the Orioles visit on the 2nd weekend.

They have their big West Coast SEA-OAK-LAA swing right out of the gate.

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Trevor Story to IL with a dislocated shoulder so they'll be down the SS depth chart against us when they open Fenway Tuesday against one of Irvin or Burnes.

Trevor Story can't stay healthy. He played in a 137 games total the last two seasons and is already headed to the IL this year.

And his contract runs through 2027.

21 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Those first couple million may be life changing money here.

I stumbled into his debut at Fenway last year.  He's an athlete for sure.  A little uptick offensively and he'll add a ton of value.  Kudos to him!

7 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I stumbled into his debut at Fenway last year.  He's an athlete for sure.  A little uptick offensively and he'll add a ton of value.  Kudos to him!

You gotta be careful at those bars outside Fenway.  They can't get ya! 

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

You gotta be careful at those bars outside Fenway.  They can't get ya! 

:) Poor wording on my part.  Just happened to be there...

Last time I was there was 20 years ago.  They have a ton of Marijuana places around there now mixed with the bars.  Mixing suds and buds is a dangerous combo.  

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

:) Poor wording on my part.  Just happened to be there...

Last time I was there was 20 years ago.  They have a ton of Marijuana places around there now mixed with the bars.  Mixing suds and buds is a dangerous combo.  

Just joking.  I haven't been there in ages.  Neat place to see a game.  Not super comfortable, but pretty cool venue.