10 days left in ST. Here are the battles:

wildcard

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think anyone is afraid of losing Wong or Webb or perhaps even Mateo or McKenna to waivers. 

Urias, he's a much more valuable player than all those guys and should not be in the same conversation. It needs to be a trade. We won't just put him on waivers when there's no real need right now to do that. 

Don't think anyone is afraid to lose any of them. We have young guys that can repalce them all.

Edit-Well, except for Webb, but still not afraid.

Edited by spleen1015

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

Christian Walker was waived by the O's picked up by the Braves, waived by the Braves picked up by the Reds, waived by the Reds picked up by the D-Backs.

When a full time player for them, he's been an .800 OPS guy.

I think Jose Bautista was a waiver claim back in the day, too.

Yep, Walker is probably the toughest one in recent memory. 

Just now, spleen1015 said:

Don't think anyone is afraid to lose any of them. We have young guys that can repalce them all.

Edit-Well, except for Webb, but still not afraid.

I mean I agree that I'm not afraid to lose Urias. I just think it would be silly to do that when a trade for if not a player than at least cash is certainly out there somewhere. But there's just no rush to send him packing. All it means is Mayo is optioned, which most of us figured would be the case anyway. 

The Orioles find themselves in the unusual position, for them at least, of having so much talent ready or nearly so, that I  would hate to see them not make the most of such a situation.  So IMO this situation seems to be begging for a trade  to at least gain something from.  How much,  we may not know for maybe 2 or 3 years, but this is a good example of where a  GM either earns his pay or does not.  I would just hate to blow this situation and not utilize the talent we presently have and see it wasted.  

3 hours ago, BobP said:

I believe there is more competition between Holliday and Mayo than you are presenting. I believe only one is making the team, as they will only want one rookie infielder to start the season. If they choose Mayo, Westburg would play 2nd (he's the interchangable part). I do expect Holliday will make the team and Mayo's fate will be decided in June (depends on team standings and trade market / needs).

I  agree.   Elias is trying to win as many games as possible this year.   He has watched Adley, Gunnar and Westburg go through rookies adjustment periods to start their MLB careers.   He does not want Holliday at 2B and Mayo at 3B going through their rookies adjustment periods at the same time.    He wants to win.   JMO

He is already going to have Cowser continuing his rookie adjustment period as the 4th  outfielder.  Hyde can probably manage that because Cowser can play vs selected pitchers backing up LF/CF/RF.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I  agree.   Elias is trying to win as many games as possible this year.   He has watched Adley, Gunnar and Westburg go through rookies adjustment periods to start their MLB careers.   He does not want Holliday at 2B and Mayo at 3B going through their rookies adjustment periods at the same time.    He wants to win.   JMO

He is already going to have Cowser continuing his rookie adjustment period as the 4th  outfielder.  Hyde can probably manage that because Cowser can play vs selected pitchers backing up LF/CF/RF.

How soon does Mayo get to the majors? Will it be early enough so that he is through that initial rookie period going into the end of the season and the playoffs?

Using Gunnar as a barometer, I think I want Holliday/Cower/Mayo to get through that period ASAP. The more they're in the majors, the better they are when playoffs roll around. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Andrew Suarez has no chance.

Albert Suarez, has no chance for the rotation.

Coby Mayo has no chance to make the team.

It's Kjerstad or Cowser and, as Frobby said, that gets decided over the next 10 days, not over the previous 2 weeks.  

I do think there is a competition between Irvin and Albert Suárez for the 5th starter spot.  Irvin just went 3 2/3 IP in his last game.  Suarez went 4 IP.   Suarez pitched 173 innings in 2022 and 162 IP in 2023 in the KBO.    He is capable of starting.  We just don't know whether  he is capable of starting in the MLB.  The next 10 days will be important to both pitchers.

Means probably takes this spot in the rotation when he returns in May.

Edited by wildcard

(At the caution of reading too much into the last several spring games observed in person)

I would not be surprised if Stowers makes the opening roster instead of Cowser/Kjerstad.  Stowers played both RF and CF.  

Akin’s stuff appears a notch better and was pounding the zone.  Same with Irvin whose fastball is better as well. Irvin as 5th starter, Akin as 3rd lefty in bullpen.

Mayo was playing more end of game against fellow minor league players.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

The way I see it:

The games get more competitive for the rest of ST with major leaguers playing more and MLB starters stretching  out.

Holliday vs Mayo:    I don't see Elias putting two rookies in the infield to begin the season.   It would almost be a disappointment if Holliday was not of the opening day roster but Mayo is proving his point that he can hit and play a decent 3B.   Westburg can play 2B or 3B and Urias is on the team along with Mateo.   

Both players are probably on the team by June if not sooner and a trade or injuries will have to happen to make room.

Irvin vs Albert Suarez for the 5th starter in April:    Burnes, GRod, Kremer and Wells are in.   The last spot in up for grabs.   Irvin will make the team in the rotation or as the long man in the pen. (Means returns in May)

Last spots in the pen:   Kimbrel, Cano, Tate, Coulombe, Baumann, Perez, and Irvin if he is not in the rotation are in.

The battle:   Webb, Akin, Albert Suarez and Andrew Suarez .  Webb  has a 1M contract but he will be claimed if DFA'd so the O's are really not of the hook for his salary.  

There is not room for Stowers and Norby though they are deserving.

Cowser is in;  Kjerstad needs a big surge to push someone out.

There are 39 on the 40 man roster and Nevin, Maton and McKenna most likely will be DFA'd because they are out of options.  That is 4 spots open.  Plenty of room for Holliday or Mayo,  Albert and/or Andrew Suarez.

We will know by opening day.

What do you think?

The more I think about it, the more likely I think it is Holliday and Mayo start in AAA. Infield is probably Mountcastle/O'Hearn at 1B, Westburg at 2B, Gunnar at SS, and Urias at 3B to start the year. Holliday's stat line looks good, but he's also striking out a ton especially against lefties. Personally, I'd start him at 2B and send him down if he struggles, but I don't think the O's are planning to do that. I think Mayo could be up quick if we trade Urias, or if Urias/Mountcastle/O'Hearn struggles.

I would be shocked if the Orioles make Suarez the 5th starter over Irvin out of the gate. If Irvin struggles to start the year and Suarez looks good, maybe they make the switch.

I think Webb and Akin are both in the pen to start the year and Tate isn't. Tate didn't pitch at all last year and hasn't looked especially great in spring training. I think he's first man up but starts in AAA. Both Webb and Akin are out of options, and Akin has looked pretty good so far.

I agree that Cowser is more likely to make the team than Kjerstad, but who gets their playing time cut out of Hays, Santander, Mullins, Mountcastle and O'Hearn? Wouldn't shock me if they keep both players in AAA until someone gets hurt or is ineffective.

I agree that Nevin, Maton, and McKenna are likely DFA.

Edited by ChosenOne21

20 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

The more I think about it, the more likely I think it is Holliday and Mayo start in AAA. Infield is probably Mountcastle/O'Hearn at 1B, Westburg at 2B, Gunnar at SS, and Urias at 3B to start the year. Holliday's stat line looks good, but he's also striking out a ton especially against lefties. Personally, I'd start him at 2B and send him down if he struggles, but I don't think the O's are planning to do that. I think Mayo could be up quick if we trade Urias, or if Urias/Mountcastle/O'Hearn struggles.

I would be shocked if the Orioles make Suarez the 5th starter over Irvin out of the gate. If Irvin struggles to start the year and Suarez looks good, maybe they make the switch.

I think Webb and Akin are both in the pen to start the year and Tate isn't. Tate didn't pitch at all last year and hasn't looked especially great in spring training. I think he's first man up but starts in AAA. Both Webb and Akin are out of options, and Akin has looked pretty good so far.

I agree that Cowser is more likely to make the team than Kjerstad, but who gets their playing time cut out of Hays, Santander, Mullins, Mountcastle and O'Hearn? Wouldn't shock me if they keep both players in AAA until someone gets hurt or is ineffective.

I agree that Nevin, Maton, and McKenna are likely DFA.

Akin has an option.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I do think there is a competition between Irvin and Albert Suárez for the 5th starter spot.  Irvin just went 3 2/3 IP in his last game.  Suarez went 4 IP.   Suarez pitched 173 innings in 2022 and 162 IP in 2023 in the KBO.    He is capable of starting.  We just don't know whether  he is capable of starting in the MLB.  The next 10 days will be important to both pitchers.

Means probably takes this spot in the rotation when he returns in May.

Irvin has been pitching well at the MLB level for three years now. I don't see how we're going to learn anything in the next 10 days we don't already know about Irvin.

There is nothing in Suarez's track record to indicate that what he did in his first four innings is going to be repeatable over the course of a season in meaningful games. I don't see how Irvin loses the job without an injury. 

• Upvote 2

Sorry, but I won’t believe Holliday will be up until I see it.  No Cowser either, unless Mullins starts the year on the IL.  Don’t be surprised if we pick up a reliever ala Coloumbe at the end of ST last year.

5 SP - Burnes, GR, Kremer, Irvin, Wells

8 BP - Kimbrel, Cano, Coloumbe, Perez, Webb, Baumann, Tate, Akin

9 LU 

1. Mullins CF L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santa RF S

5. Mounty 1B R

6. O’Hearn DH L

7. Hays LF R

8. Westburg 2B R

9. Urias 3B R

4 - Bench 

McCann, Mateo, McKenna, Wong

Moves

- DFA’d Nevin, and Maton

- Wong added to 40 man

- Terehan gets extra money, and a May 1st opt out, to start in AAA

- Holliday to AAA for 10 service clock days at least. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Irvin has been pitching well at the MLB level for three years now. I don't see how we're going to learn anything in the next 10 days we don't already know about Irvin.

There is nothing in Suarez's track record to indicate that what he did in his first four innings is going to be repeatable over the course of a season in meaningful games. I don't see how Irvin loses the job without an injury. 

Irvin changed three of his pitches this off season.  The question if was it for the better.   And the O's have a new pitching coach.

Albert Suárez just had a bad outing and its go time for him. Last 10 games of ST.  He did not help himself.  I was watching.

If Wong is on the OD roster, it'll be a worse move than Frazier was last year. Had Westburg played the whole year in the majors, he'd be futher along.

Now we have Holliday and Mayo who deserve a spot long before Wong even gets a sniff. Not to mention Norby. 

• Upvote 1