Which minor league players who won’t reach the majors in 2024 most interest you?

Frobby

Houston Roth. He was starting in Delmarva and Aberdeen, where he was one of the top pitchers. He then piggybacked in Bowie before getting to Norfolk for the last week of the season last year.

He does throw a lot of balls, but is always near the plate. Not "overpowering," but gets a good amount of "swing and miss" and double play contact. Could be a shuttle bullpen late in the year with a good showing, or make a push for next year.

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2024 at 3:00 AM, Ridgway22 said:

This is a great question. I'm very interested in who spends the bulk of the time at Bowie this year (succeeds /  struggles), and who leaves early (Basallo?) Bradfield's range of outcomes between a Mateo/McKenna type and Pierre / Lofton dream is one of the most intriguing storylines I'll be following. I'm flummoxed about our starting pitching prospects, no GRod predigree, but Bradish didn't have that expectation. As much fun as Jax, Mayo, Norby feathering into the Major League team will be, I'm going to be training a keen eye on the next wave. Ain't the beer cold.

Pierre and Lofton aren’t even in the same universe.  Kenny Lofton should be in the HOF

6 hours ago, PeteCanes said:

Pierre and Lofton aren’t even in the same universe.  Kenny Lofton should be in the HOF

It’s true that they’re not close, but it’s also true that Pierre (17.3 rWAR career) would be a very good outcome for Bradfield.  I think @Ridgway22was using Pierre/Lofton as bookends on a range of good outcomes, not as players who are equivalent.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm interested in following Mac Horvath.  Great OBP and some pop.   

Looks like they’re trying to make him a 3B, which he was as a sophomore.   He also looks thicker, particularly in the legs.  Hopefully, he got stronger without losing any speed.   He think he winds up in RF but I guess they think 3B has a chance.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

Keagan Gillies. 97 mph, 6'8 255, solid AA debut last year. Future bullpen stud if he puts it together. 

I just read that he sits 93-94 coming into this season.   I hope you’re right.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I just read that he sits 93-94 coming into this season.   I hope you’re right.

Hmm I guess we'll see. Maybe he only touches 97 at times? Not sure. Hopefully he continues to add velo and improve. The size is super intriguing. 

There's a couple videos:

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Hmm I guess we'll see. Maybe he only touches 97 at times? Not sure. Hopefully he continues to add velo and improve. The size is super intriguing. 

There's a couple videos:

From Melewski.

now around 270 at spring camp.

“Just was getting after it in the weight room,” Gillies said. “Getting after it, upper-body wise. My upper body has been a little skinny as someone could see in pictures over the years. Hopefully, this up ticks the velo a little bit more and keeps me healthy.”

Gillies was pitching at around 93, 94 mph with his fastball last season and adds a cutter, slider and that splitter to his repertoire.

Just now, RZNJ said:

From Melewski.

now around 270 at spring camp.

“Just was getting after it in the weight room,” Gillies said. “Getting after it, upper-body wise. My upper body has been a little skinny as someone could see in pictures over the years. Hopefully, this up ticks the velo a little bit more and keeps me healthy.”

Gillies was pitching at around 93, 94 mph with his fastball last season and adds a cutter, slider and that splitter to his repertoire.

Gotcha, yeah. Hopefully that continues to tick up. That's about what Wells sits at in relief - another big guy you figure would have bigger velo than he does. Still think he's intriguing because of his size and that he was able to add velo at all is promising. 

Just now, interloper said:

Gotcha, yeah. Hopefully that continues to tick up. That's about what Wells sits at in relief - another big guy you figure would have bigger velo than he does. Still think he's intriguing because of his size and that he was able to add velo at all is promising. 

Yeah, I didn’t say he wasn’t good.  He’s got a chance.

Lots of the Intl guys (basically the guys in Tony’s top 25 or so) headlined by DeLeon.

Bradfield is way up the list. Same with the other draft picks last year, especially those we didn’t see or saw very little of.

Fabian is a sneaky guy to watch imo.

Not putting Povich, McDermott or Basallo on the list as they will or are very likely to reach the majors this year imo.

I'll go with Fabian. The K's in 45% of his AA PA's is a bit concerning, but if he can cut that down, the tools are there to stay in CF. Kind of a consolation if Bradfield doesn't develop. Bradfields my #2.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Lots of the Intl guys (basically the guys in Tony’s top 25 or so) headlined by DeLeon.

Bradfield is way up the list. Same with the other draft picks last year, especially those we didn’t see or saw very little of.

Fabian is a sneaky guy to watch imo.

Not putting Povich, McDermott or Basallo on the list as they will or are very likely to reach the majors this year imo.

I’d be absolutely floored if Basallo made it to the majors this year.   I’d put the odds well under 1%.