Roch: Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Al Suarez optioned

interloper

Just now, eddie83 said:

If only he'd mentioned the high strike out numbers too, then many of us could have completed our bingo board of 'the silly reasons Elias will use when demoting Holliday'.  

• Haha 1

Just now, now said:

Fine. But you (ME) knew all that from the get-go. So why dangle the likelihood of making the OD roster all winter/spring until now?

Well @Frobbyand I had a little back and forth earlier where he took umbrage about what I expected Elias to say.  And I would have expected Elias to say all along that Holliday has a shot to make the team out of ST when anyone who has an understanding of gaming a service clock would say otherwise.  

But again, that's what I expect Elias to say.

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

I don't disagree at all.  He overhyped the possibilities that Holliday would make the roster, got everyone excited and now popped our enthusiasm balloons, so to speak.   He would have been better off to have downplayed the chances for sure.  

This is all valid but obviously not on Elias's list of concerns (fan sentiment). The more grievous disappointment is to lead Holliday on as if he could make the team when it was never the plan.

Just now, now said:

Fine. But you (ME) knew all that from the get-go. So why dangle the likelihood of making the OD roster all winter/spring until now?

I agree 100% that the worst thing is not sending him down but almost promoting the odds of him making the team.

I am a huge fan of Elias but I don’t think this was his best moment. 

Just now, now said:

Because this was ALWAYS the plan.  He just said what he knew folks wanted/expected to hear.  It was PR/management speak all along.  The hype wasn't real.  He'd have had to hit like 1927 Babe Ruth to have made the team (1.258 OPS).  

1 hour ago, EdwinRip said:

I don’t understand why anyone thought Holliday was making the team after yesterday’s game.  You don’t play a starter in a reserve roll at the end of spring training…..and they would have given him more reps at 2nd with Gunnar.

BINGO! Three days ago Gunnar said he had only had a few games played with Jackson this summer and honestly I don't remember them.

Just now, forphase1 said:

Because this was ALWAYS the plan.  He just said what he knew folks wanted/expected to hear.  It was PR/management speak all along.  The hype wasn't real.  He'd have had to hit like 1927 Babe Ruth to have made the team (1.258 OPS).  

I disagree. 

It was bad PR to hype the possibility of him making the team and then he doesn’t. The kid is the number 1 prospect in the sport. Everybody knows who he is. 

Orioles fans don’t need to be hyped about an elite prospect. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Of course he said no when asked if service time was a factor.  Would anyone *ahem* EXPECT different? 

Exactly.  If service time is a factor (and I'm 100% sure that it was) he isn't going to come out and say that.  It was always going to be be 'he needs work' or 'more seasoning' or something.  It was NEVER going to be 'we want to game the system, keep Holliday for as long and as cheaply as possible'.  Come on.  I know reporters have to ask the question, but everyone knows a lie is coming as the answer.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I disagree. 

It was bad PR to hype the possibility of him making the team and then he doesn’t. The kid is the number 1 prospect in the sport. Everybody knows who he is. 

Orioles fans don’t need to be hyped about an elite prospect. 

So you think the plan was to play him, but he didn't perform well enough?  

Of course it was BAD PR, but it was still PR.  Elias should have never hyped up his chance like he did.  Should have been much more tempered about the possibility.  But he didn't, he lead folks to believe Holliday had a legitimate shot.  He never really did IMO.