Roch: Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Al Suarez optioned

interloper

The O's have a couple weeks after opening day to qualify for PPI benefits with Holliday.  Maybe they're waiting for something else to shake out and they'll add him in a few days?

Edited by Hallas

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

It may still be JA / PA the cause of this.  I read that when Rubinstein has officially own the team that an agreement was that PA will remain controlling partner until he dies, is this true?

From what I have read Rubenstein will be the controlling partner once the deal is approved.

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm not sure if you live in the market place or how many games you attend or if you have considered how the Orioles success (or lack of it) impacts the business community downtown. But I absolutely want the Orioles to operate in a way that considers their customers.

That does not mean that they should/could do EVERYTHING that the fans want. But they should be operating in a way that is fan friendly and is with the mindset of growing the fanbase. Baseball as a sport has an aging fanbase. I hope they are trying to figure out how to gain the attention/interest of people who are under the age of 40 (which I am not).

The other sports franchise in the market definitely makes decision (not all and maybe not most) with it's fans/customers in mind. And it has certainly benefited them in terms of fan interest, attendance, etc.

I live in the city. I went to 15+ home games last year. I've been at every home playoff game since 2012. 

I know Holliday has been hyped, but I can promise you right now that all of the people freaking out about him not being on the Opening Day roster are not people the Os are at risk of losing as fans. Holding him down for a few weeks for a shot at additional service time will have an absolutely negligible impact on attendance this year or overall fan support. 

I also disagree with the idea that the Ravens make personnel decisions based on what fans want. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

I'm hoping that there will be a last minute move to bring him back up on opening day. 

Now that he has been reassigned, does that mean he has to stay down for at least 10 days unless someone gets injured? Or could they bring him up sooner as the "replacement"for Bradish or Means who will be going on the IL?

Just now, rm5678 said:

Now that he has been reassigned, does that mean he has to stay down for at least 10 days unless someone gets injured? Or could they bring him up sooner as the "replacement"for Bradish or Means who will be going on the IL?

He needs to be traded. 

3 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

I believe if he's an injury replacement he can come up before the 10 days.

He also is still eligible for PPI as long as they recall him within 15 days and he spends the remainder of the season on the active roster.

Very disappointing overall. I can sort of understand the logic in letting Holliday get some more at bats in the minors but I’m having a hard time understanding Hyde’s obsession with Mckenna.

There are players all throughout the MLB and AAA with the same skill set of Mckenna. Very easy to find. 

Deatroying Stowers confidence and momentum to keep a borderline journeyman makes absolutely zero sense.

A big time downer …

• Upvote 3

Couple of thoughts 

- Elias had all winter to downplay or at least temper expectations. He didn’t do that and then they keep him until 6 days before OD. This comes after a great spring. It’s a bad look. 

-that said the impact of sending him down and some of the reaction is overblown 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, interloper said:

So...

C - Adley
1B - Mounty
2B - Westburg
SS - Gunnar
3B - Urias
LF - Hays
CF - Mullins
RF - Santander
DH - O'Hearn

Bench - Cowser, Mateo, McCann

Final spot: McKenna, Wong, or Nevin

This looks right to me.    I think Nevin won the DH job vs lefties.  I don't see Wong or McKenna making it to OD.

Vs lefties Mateo  in Center,  Nevin  DHing instead of O'Hearn.

If you think Elias is done trading, I think he is just beginning.    This gives him time to trade Urias and O'Hearn for  pitching.   Kind of like Mancini and Lopez for Johnson , McDermott and Povich.

Instead of DFAing guys and getting nothing for them,  I think Elias trades them for value and then promotes Holliday and Mayo.

I will not be surprised to see Teheran make the team as the long man instead of letting him opt out.   Akin to AAA in spite of his hot spring just because he has an option that allows Elias to keep arms in the organization.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheWall said:

I live in the city. I went to 15+ home games last year. I've been at every home playoff game since 2012. 

I know Holliday has been hyped, but I can promise you right now that all of the people freaking out about him not being on the Opening Day roster are not people the Os are at risk of losing as fans. Holding him down for a few weeks for a shot at additional service time will have an absolutely negligible impact on attendance this year or overall fan support. 

I also disagree with the idea that the Ravens make personnel decisions based on what fans want. 

I don’t want to get heavy into the Ravens because this is an O’s board. But DeCosta talked about it to Mike Florio last offseason when discussing the decision to bring in Odell Beckham. 

Now back to the O’s. IMO this Holiday decision will have an negative impact on the part of the fanbase who is on the fence (b/c of the horrible previous ownership) and will say “same old O’s.

These decisions are not made in isolation or a vacuum. But they are within the context of the org behaving terribly for the last 30+ years.

IMO part of the org becoming more appealing to attract more fans is showing some fans that things are/will be different now. There is work to be done in terms of repairing the relationship with the org and the community that it resides. And decisions like this do not help to change that IMO.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t want to get heavy into the Ravens because this is an O’s board. But DeCosta talked about it to Mike Florio last offseason when discussing the decision to bring in Odell Beckham. 

Now back to the O’s. IMO this Holiday decision will have an negative impact on the part of the fanbase who is on the fence (b/c of the horrible previous ownership) and will say “same old O’s.

These decisions are not made in isolation or a vacuum. But they are within the context of the org behaving terribly for the last 30+ years.

IMO part of the org becoming more appealing to attract more fans is showing some fans that things are/will be different now. There is work to be done in terms of repairing the relationship with the org and the community that it resides. And decisions like this do not help to change that IMO.

This team won 101 games last year.  If any "fans" are on the fence, well, that's their problem.

These are probably the fans that still think Adam Jones is playing CF.  I'm really not interested in what they have to think.

• Upvote 3

So here is what we know from Elias sending both Mayo and Holliday back to AAA. He's going to always play the long game with control as long as gaining an extra year of control only costs him a few weeks or a month.

The players really screwed the pooch when they didn't really fight this aspect out very far.

From a fan standpoint, it's obviously disappointing right now, but when Mayo and Holliday are playing for the Orioles in 2030 i think the fans will be happy he sacrificed a few weeks or maybe a month. 

Both showed they were ready for the major league this spring so we now know barring injury, they were never going to make the team.

I suspect with Westburg and Urias at 2B and 3B, Wong or Maton will get the last spot in the infield since they bat let-handed. Let's hope the Orioles can do well early on with lesser players playing and with 2 or their original five starting pitchers out. 

• Upvote 2