Roch: Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Al Suarez optioned

interloper

The question is, why was service time a factor? Still a good chance we could lose that year anyway, unless he’s left down until July, in which case you only get 2 months extra service time down the road. 

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Exactly.  If service time is a factor (and I'm 100% sure that it was) he isn't going to come out and say that.  It was always going to be be 'he needs work' or 'more seasoning' or something.  It was NEVER going to be 'we want to game the system, keep Holliday for as long and as cheaply as possible'.  Come on.  I know reporters have to ask the question, but everyone knows a lie is coming as the answer.  

And that's why I could never be a politician or GM. Couldn't wake up knowing I am going to lie.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wong might be the starter at second with Westburg being the utility glove.

Haha, no way that happens unless it's for a particular matchup. Westburg and Urias will be the starters on the vast majority or games.

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

If feel like Mike Elias promised us a puppy if we were good and did our homework.  Well we did all our homework and did chores around the house and everything.....but instead of getting us that beautiful German Shepard puppy he went and got a damn chihahua mutt mix instead.  And to top it off Elias punched the German Shepard puppy right in the face.  

This may be your best post since your Ambien classic post! :D

• Upvote 2

Honestly I am fine with this decision because I don't think Holliday is quite there yet vs LHP, and you don't lose a year of service time for a few weeks of someone who might not be your best option every day. I also do think Elias wasn't entirely lying, and if Holliday was mashing lefties then he could've made the team. He was fighting Urias for the starting job and because of the service time situation, he had a high bar to clear and had to show he's not just better than Urias, but significantly better. And right now on a day vs a lefty, I don't think Holliday has proven himself that much better than Urias yet.

13 minutes ago, now said:

Fine. But you (ME) knew all that from the get-go. So why dangle the likelihood of making the OD roster all winter/spring until now?

GM/coaching staff had not previously seen or limited opportunities to see Holliday at 2B or face MLb quality LHPs.  We (public) are evaluating from spring training stats and handful of games. Os brass has undoubtedly gotten more observations and data points from backfields — both defensively and in the batting cage. So while Elias comments today are certainly some GM speak and reason for getting additional service time, I do find it plausible that Holliday does indeed require more development at 2B (particularly double play pivots) and also against LHPs.

2 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

So you think the plan was to play him, but he didn't perform well enough?  

Of course it was BAD PR, but it was still PR.  Elias should have never hyped up his chance like he did.  Should have been much more tempered about the possibility.  But he didn't, he lead folks to believe Holliday had a legitimate shot.  He never really did IMO.  

I think for a guy that is usually reserved with his words, Mike was not that way about Holliday during the off-season. I don’t think his stat line played any role. My guess is in retrospect that Elias was open to him making the team but it wasn’t likely. I would argue the way Mike talked about him it sounded likely he would. 

I don’t get your last point where you basically agree and say it was bad PR but still PR. This kid doesn’t need PR. You aren’t hyping Jerry Hairston to the fans and saying he is the savior of the franchise here. The Orioles won 101 games and are loaded with top talent. It’s an entertaining team. A huge portion of the frustration today is due directly to how the Orioles talked about Holliday all winter. 

• Upvote 1

I expected Elias to use the LHP as an excuse.  In 15 PA against LHP this spring Holliday has 2 hits (2B and GS) 1 walk, and 9 strikeouts.   That's a concern but they could have protected him while he adjusted.   I suspect if he had better numbers against LHP they would have just went with the 2B defense angle.   

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Of course he said no when asked if service time was a factor.  Would anyone *ahem* EXPECT different? 

No. A GM should be fired if they were dumb enough to say that. 😀

• Haha 1