Roch: Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Al Suarez optioned

interloper

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Lot of overreacting in here. We're barely going to remember this in two weeks when he's up.

Sure.  Too bad it's going to be a lot longer than 2 weeks I believe.  He'll be down long enough to miss Super 2 AND to not have a chance to finish top 2 ROY.  

If you send down Holliday just for a few weeks, it doesn’t make that much sense.

70% of those who voted were fine with Holliday being sent down as of a few weeks ago.

I still am fine with it. What I’m not fine with is their instance on acting as if Mateo is a good player and they feel the need to find reasons and ways to keep him.  

• Upvote 3

Not shocking, but that's a buzzkill.

Lots can shift in the final week of ST though as all 30 teams figure out their go-North groups. Not sure it'd affect Holliday specifically, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see a position player move before next Thursday, and see someone not currently thought to be "in" jog down the orange carpet. 

6 minutes ago, TheWall said:

That doesn't really answer my question, but I will say that I 100% do not want Elias making decisions based on what the fans / customer base wants. 

I'm not sure if you live in the market place or how many games you attend or if you have considered how the Orioles success (or lack of it) impacts the business community downtown. But I absolutely want the Orioles to operate in a way that considers their customers.

That does not mean that they should/could do EVERYTHING that the fans want. But they should be operating in a way that is fan friendly and is with the mindset of growing the fanbase. Baseball as a sport has an aging fanbase. I hope they are trying to figure out how to gain the attention/interest of people who are under the age of 40 (which I am not).

The other sports franchise in the market definitely makes decision (not all and maybe not most) with it's fans/customers in mind. And it has certainly benefited them in terms of fan interest, attendance, etc.

53 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

That's the thing that makes this so weird. If he comes up in a few weeks and ends up top-2 for ROY they don't get the extra year anyway...nor do they get a pick if he wins it now. 

I hate this decision. That said, I suspect Sig's sexy models say an extra year of Holliday and Mayo in 2030 (or whatever year it is) is more valuable than the #34 draft pick in the 2025 draft. 

Unless this really is just a gaming of the roster for the first series of the year versus LHPs. I doubt that though.

I do wonder if this is also an indication that the O's have approached either of these two in particular about extensions and not finding common ground.

I'm not surprised by the move, but I'm definitely not happy with it. I think he's certainly proven to be better than some of the guys that are staying on the ml roster. I'm hoping that there will be a last minute move to bring him back up on opening day. I think Jackson has a great opportunity to win Rookie of the Year and bring the organization an additional high draft pick. I think we have a couple of guys who could actually do that. I'm at least happy that we probably won't have Wong on the team. 

Just now, oriolediehard said:

It may still be JA / PA the cause of this.  I read that when Rubinstein has officially own the team that an agreement was that PA will remain controlling partner until he dies, is this true?

Angelos would own 30% of his shares, while Rubenstein would own 40%.  Rubenstein would have control.

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

It may still be JA / PA the cause of this.  I read that when Rubinstein has officially own the team that an agreement was that PA will remain controlling partner until he dies, is this true?

No