Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Statcast also said Adley's exit velocity on a ball he ripped to left field last night in Game 2 was only 70 something MPH. Even @Frobby called BS on that.

It’s a known that teams don’t completely trust other teams systems.  There is no regulation.  

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

There’s a big difference between launch angle and attack angle. 

Launch angle is ball coming off bat (results of contact). Attack angle is angle of bat through zone.  

4.4 attack angle is good but slightly high.  4.4 launch angle is terrible result.  

My point was an overly uppercut swing isn't going to result in that low a launch angle.  Not unless he is somehow consistently topping the pitches, which seems pretty unlikely.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My point was an overly uppercut swing isn't going to result in that low a launch angle.  Not unless he is somehow consistently topping the pitches, which seems pretty unlikely.

Actually it will.  As you noted.  MLB pitch plane is like 2-3 degrees.  The more your attack angle increased the more you’re hitting a top spin tennis return.  

Edited by emmett16

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Actually it will.  As you noted.  MLB pitch plane is like 2-3 degrees.  The more your attack angle increased the more you’re hitting a top spin tennis return.  

I'll bow to your expertise even if it seems unlikely to my laymen understanding. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll bow to your expertise even if it seems unlikely to my laymen understanding. 

I think you have a good understanding and I assume you’ve read Ted Williams Science of Hitting.  It’s all about lining up planes of pitch and bat.  Historically with sinkers and low strikes a higher attack angle played and was more in alignment with pitch plane.  In today’s game of spin and high zone fastball an uppercut swing gives you minimal chance and results in top spin grounders and swing & miss. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

emmett16 is right. Uppercut swings produce a lot of groundouts because the bat is not on the same plane as the ball for very long. The best swing stays on the same plane as the ball for a longer time. This will produce contact that creates backspin on the ball which makes it carry. That Ted Williams book is one of the best hitting books ever written.

• Upvote 2

In all candor, I’m not sure what this means — and the answer is probably “not much” — but I found it interesting. 

Since April 10, the day Jackson Holliday debuted, the top 4 most valuable position players in all of MLB (per fWAR) have been:

1. Gunnar Henderson (1.5 WAR)

2. Daulton Varsho (1.4 WAR)

3. Jordan Westburg (1.2 WAR)

4. Colton Cowser (1.1 WAR)

On 4/24/2024 at 7:48 AM, RZNJ said:

Sure, let’s sit back and see how much patience Elias and Hyde have.   I don’t think they have as much as you seem to think.

I think we have the answer.

McKenna up.  Sounds like either Mateo gets the 2B job or is the short side of the platoon with Urias.  Who starts against Stripling (I guess Urias) should give us the answer.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

McKenna up.  Sounds like either Mateo gets the 2B job or is the short side of the platoon with Urias.  Who starts against Stripling (I guess Urias) should give us the answer.

Westburg at 2B vs RHP with Urias at 3B
Mateo at 2B vs LHP with Westburg at 3B

My guess, anyway. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, interloper said:

My guess, anyway. 

This will be the case, but I really don't understand moving Westburg off 3B. Urias can play 2B.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

My guess, anyway. 

Maybe but I would play Westburg exclusively at 3B.