Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

Holliday probably won't play today or Saturday, but should be in there on Friday. Decent matchup for him against Stripling. Sunday will be a lot tougher with the way Blackburn has been throwing the ball this year. Hopefully he can get another knock or two this weekend and we go from there.

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Just trying to keep it real here.  The line drive off Moore was 75 mph and the SS would have easily fielded it if it had hit Moore.  Holliday opening up, reaching for the ball on the outside corner and catches it off the end of the bat.

He took baby steps last night.  The single he hit was a nice shot up the middle, 104.4 off the bat.   The liner that hit the pitcher also was hit squarely and up the middle.  I know Statcast says 75 mph but I’m not sure I believe that.  In any event, hit on the button.  His final strikeout was aided by two called strikes that were outside the zone.  He made a nice DP by snaring a liner and immediately firing to first to catch the runner off base; the runner would have been safe if Holliday had hesitated at all, but he showed excellent awareness there.   I’ve been pretty hard on Holliday, but if he has a few more games like that one, the case for letting him stay in the majors improves. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He took baby steps last night.  The single he hit was a nice shot up the middle, 104.4 off the bat.   The liner that hit the pitcher also was hit squarely and up the middle.  I know Statcast says 75 mph but I’m not sure I believe that.  In any event, hit on the button.  His final strikeout was aided by two called strikes that were outside the zone.  He made a nice DP by snaring a liner and immediately firing to first to catch the runner off base; the runner would have been safe if Holliday had hesitated at all, but he showed excellent awareness there.   I’ve been pretty hard on Holliday, but if he has a few more games like that one, the case for letting him stay in the majors improves. 

Yeah, I don't know if I buy that 75 MPH off the pitcher, either.  IMO, 75 MPH gets fielded.

12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why start him against the lefty? Mateo and Urias need to play some to stay sharp.

Because Mateo should start in CF and Urias belongs on the bench as much as possible, and just started on Monday.

Jackson had some better AB's last night and should be given the chance to build on them, if he is being given the opportunity to work his way out of this.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Because Mateo should start in CF and Urias belongs on the bench as much as possible, and just started on Monday.

Jackson had some better AB's last night and should be given the chance to build on them, if he is being given the opportunity to work his way out of this.

I love Holliday's talent and believe that he will eventually settle down and acclimate. However, I disagree with throwing him out there against a LH SP. I would rather Cedric Mullins take those ABs right now. 

I think that it is best to put Holliday in positions to succeed and continue to build confidence at this level.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree.  Last night was a step in the right direction but if I want to take the negative approach, he almost misplayed that line drive.  He and Henderson were laughing about it because I think the ball hooked on him.   As far as the 75mph, I believe it.  He was reaching for it and it went off the bat.  If your a pitcher, 75 mph, initially, still looks fast coming back at you but that ball would have lost steam pretty quickly.   How fast do you think the liner Suarez caught the other night was?   Don’t cheat.  I’m going to look it up now.  I’m guessing more than 75 but less than 90 but I think it was struck harder than Hollidays.

Just checked.  Taylor Ward hit his 95, so pretty hard but it basically found Suarez glove.

Edited by RZNJ

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He reached out and flicked that ball.  The 75 mph for sure was accurate.  Him flicking the ball with 2 strikes though was definitely a positive development that showed good bat control.  

Edited by baltfan

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree.  Last night was a step in the right direction but if I want to take the negative approach, he almost misplayed that line drive.  He and Henderson were laughing about it because I think the ball hooked on him.   As far as the 75mph, I believe it.  He was reaching for it and it went off the bat.  If your a pitcher, 75 mph, initially, still looks fast coming back at you but that ball would have lost steam pretty quickly.   How fast do you think the liner Suarez caught the other night was?   Don’t cheat.  I’m going to look it up now.  I’m guessing more than 75 but less than 90 but I think it was struck harder than Hollidays.

I’ll guess around 90-95.  You’re right that it’s hard to judge them.   

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I don't know if I buy that 75 MPH off the pitcher, either.  IMO, 75 MPH gets fielded.

When you’re off balance and turned sideways, 75 mph looks pretty fast.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I love Holliday's talent and believe that he will eventually settle down and acclimate. However, I disagree with throwing him out there against a LH SP. I would rather Cedric Mullins take those ABs right now. 

I think that it is best to put Holliday in positions to succeed and continue to build confidence at this level.

I don't think playing him in 1 game over the course of 4 days is putting him in a position to succeed