Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sometimes you have to give up something to get something and while I like Holliday a lot, Skubel solidifies a rotation that needs help now and in the next few years at a cost that the Orioles will be willing to spend. 

I'm on record as saying I'll live with Mayo's defense at 3B and Westburg should improve if he plays more at 2B. 

If you trade a Holliday, Mayo or Basallo, you need an ace pitcher back with at least two and half years of control. Out of those three, I'd prefer to give up Holliday, but it's not because I don't like him. 

This team is on a 100 win+ pace without Holliday but has lost Bradish, Means, and Wells for the season. I'd feel very good going into a playoff series with Burnes, Skubal, and Rodriguez as the top 3 starters.

From everything I read/listened to, I think Skubel can be had without giving up the #1 prospect in baseball. In fact, I'd be shocked if Tigers think that we'd even give Jackson up. One of Mayo and Basallo will have to be involved, maybe even both but Jackson isn't on the table.

2 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

From everything I read/listened to, I think Skubel can be had without giving up the #1 prospect in baseball. In fact, I'd be shocked if Tigers think that we'd even give Jackson up. One of Mayo and Basallo will have to be involved, maybe even both but Jackson isn't on the table.

I think people here think Holliday is behind Basallo and Mayo and would rather trade him.

1 minute ago, MDK02 said:

I don't know what sources you read/listen to, but if you think the Orioles would move Mayo and Basallo for Skubel, I think you better adjust your sources. Whether Holliday is available or not is up for debate and I've made my feelings know which one of the big 3 I'd trade for him, but at the end of the day, the Tigers are going to want a haul for him. 

I'd be elated if the Orioles could get him without one of the big 3, but I don't see that happening.

• Upvote 1

I guess Holliday and Mayo are near co-favorites for 2024 International League MVP, and the one that gets more playing time there rest of season may have an edge.

TBD if one of them can repeat the Ryan Mountcastle trick of still having some stuff to work on after that achievement.

If Holliday's small injury stopping him fielding but not hitting lasts to fall, that does take a big bite out of him earning his way into the top nine.     Holliday who can run circles around Coby Mayo defensively just has to beat out Mateo or Urias overall.     Holliday limited to DH is in direct competition with O'Hearn and Mayo type guys.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I think people here think Holliday is behind Basallo and Mayo and would rather trade him.

I think SOME people, including me would, but not all. I also think SOMe people on this board think we don't like Holliday when we say we're willing to trade him. 

I know I'm looking at what we need this year and the next few years and Holliday is the piece we can least do without in my opinion. That doesn't mean I don't think he's going to be at the top of someone's lineup for a long time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Malike said:

34ABs.

I don't think it's that.. at least not for me. I've been pretty vocal about my feelings on Holliday as a player. Of the top three, yes, I do view JH as the most expendable but that has as much to do with the other players and what his headlining a deal means as far as preserving as much of the farm as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I guess Holliday and Mayo are near co-favorites for 2024 International League MVP, and the one that gets more playing time there rest of season may have an edge.

TBD if one of them can repeat the Ryan Mountcastle trick of still having some stuff to work on after that achievement.

If Holliday's small injury stopping him fielding but not hitting lasts to fall, that does take a big bite out of him earning his way into the top nine.     Holliday who can run circles around Coby Mayo defensively just has to beat out Mateo or Urias overall.     Holliday limited to DH is in direct competition with O'Hearn and Mayo type guys.

I hear Norby is up for a lifetime achievement award.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

34 ABs.

We gotta stop with this. Just because people lightly criticize Holliday doesn't mean we're all idiots who looked at his 34 ABs and instantly wrote him off. That's just false, unproductive, and disingenuous. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms, all of which are pretty minor, but valid nonetheless. 

Edited by interloper

Just now, interloper said:

We gotta stop with this. Just because people lightly criticize Holliday doesn't mean we're all idiots who looked at his 34 ABs and instantly wrote him off. That's just false, unproductive, and disingenuous. 

Even his .900 OPS at AAA isn't good enough. Last year not a single person on the board would have traded him straight up for anyone, now he's the guy to go. Okay.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, interloper said:

We gotta stop with this. Just because people lightly criticize Holliday doesn't mean we're all idiots who looked at his 34 ABs and instantly wrote him off. That's just false, unproductive, and disingenuous. 

Right... typical OH shit starting. 

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

Even his .900 OPS at AAA isn't good enough. Last year not a single person on the board would have traded him straight up for anyone, now he's the guy to go. Okay.

I've commented that his OPS is too OBP-based for my particular liking, but I'm not against him getting another look this year. I just think he's going to really pop next year when he's older and slugging more. 

I think the shine is off him a bit based on his AAA season this year, where there are a few yellow flags about his bat (ground ball rate, etc) and his defense. That doesn't mean everyone is giving up on him or eager to dump him in any trade. But it does mean he's falling more in line with Mayo and Basallo in terms of prospect status for some. 

I'm sure there are some fans out there who gave up on him after 34 ABs, but I don't see anyone around here like that. 

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think SOME people, including me would, but not all. I also think SOMe people on this board think we don't like Holliday when we say we're willing to trade him. 

I know I'm looking at what we need this year and the next few years and Holliday is the piece we can least do without in my opinion. That doesn't mean I don't think he's going to be at the top of someone's lineup for a long time.

If you would asked the question in April , would you trade Holliday, it would have been one of the most lopsided polls in OH history.

Now, a lot more people would do it. We have seen several people say that the 34 at bats has caused them to re-think things.

Ill go on record that within a few years, we will look back on these discussions and be like, people were nuts for even remotely considering trading Holliday.

• Upvote 2