Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

20 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

This guy Vavra must be a star, where can I get his MLB debut t-shirt?

If he could stay healthy and had a little pop he’d be a heck of a player.  No thump in the bat and can’t stay on the field.  His OBP skills don’t translate to the MLB. 

54 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Urias is up to .715 OPS now. Mateo we know is having a decent season. There doesn't seem to be much of a rush with Holliday.

Santander is also quietly up to .757 OPS and returning to his usual levels. Hays' revival we know about. Bigger predicament seems to be finding ABs for Mayo and Kjerstad, IMO, with perhaps O'Hearn being phased out...but that still only leaves room for one of those two. And Kjerstad really doesn't have much to do at AAA anymore, feels like pretty useless ABs at this point for him. Mayo is getting to that point too and is our biggest potential bat...how would you all sort it all out? 

This year, not much different than now.   Mullins is probably going to hit too.  He got robbed twice by Rafaela against the Red Sox and has been hitting the ball better.   

They have to decide where all of the pieces fit next year.  There’s too many variables to say I would do it one way.  Best guess for next year.

1B Mountcastle 

2B Holliday

SS Henderson

3B Westburg

C Rutschman 

LF Cowser

CF Mullins

RF Mayo

DH O’Hearn?  Kjerstad?

If Ced doesn’t bounce back you have to consider Cowser for CF and something like Stowers and/or Norby in LF.  You might go that way anyway.  I would think the main trade candidate is Kjerstad but who knows.

Norby and Stowers could factor in as starters or bench.  

• Upvote 1

Other than Gunnar and Adley, what Oriole bat do you guess is most capable vs. baseball's top talents this October?

I know Roy's got Coby Mayo!

We have seen Steve Pearce be an Oriole and World Series MVP separately, so we all know it can be anyone, but just from a pure SIGBOT odds maximization process-oriented viewpoint.

I suppose it is kind of a juicy moral hazard to not mind as terribly if the Yankees seize the division in the next 2 weeks.    Give them their 10-game lead in late June.    We will be past Super 2, we've got our 6.5 years on JH/CM/HK through 2030.    We can most days play:

2B Holliday, SS Gunnar, C Adley, 1B Mountcastle, 3B Westburg, CF Cowser, RF Santander, DH Mayo, LF Kjerstad

Not even goofing around with Samuel Basallo even though I have hope he'll demonstrate himself to be the world's most powerful Age 20 bat by this October and sometimes that's something that's helpful in these competitions.    His is the Evan Carter timeline if he earns it and/or the injury gods call for him.

Bonus moral hazard: save money waiving prominent MLB veterans.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This year, not much different than now.   Mullins is probably going to hit too.  He got robbed twice by Rafaela against the Red Sox and has been hitting the ball better.   

They have to decide where all of the pieces fit next year.  There’s too many variables to say I would do it one way.  Best guess for next year.

1B Mountcastle 

2B Holliday

SS Henderson

3B Westburg

C Rutschman 

LF Cowser

CF Mullins

RF Mayo

DH O’Hearn?  Kjerstad?

If Ced doesn’t bounce back you have to consider Cowser for CF and something like Stowers and/or Norby in LF.  You might go that way anyway.  I would think the main trade candidate is Kjerstad but who knows.

Yeah, I agree. It's just weird to imagine Mayo and Kjerstad spending the rest of the season down at AAA basically biding time. 

5 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Yeah, I agree. It's just weird to imagine Mayo and Kjerstad spending the rest of the season down at AAA basically biding time. 

Apparently, they were close to calling Mayo up.  Who knows?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see either or up here within the next 30 days but it’s hard to see regular time for either one without an injury.  In fact, when Mateo comes back it’s probably either Norby or Stowers that go.  They are both on tryouts right now.  Norby basically has a chance to win the 2B job, I think, but he’ll probably need to do something like Cowser did in Boston.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Apparently, they were close to calling Mayo up.  Who knows?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see either or up here within the next 30 days but it’s hard to see regular time for either one without an injury.  In fact, when Mateo comes back it’s probably either Norby or Stowers that go.  They are both on tryouts right now.  Norby basically has a chance to win the 2B job, I think, but he’ll probably need to do something like Cowser did in Boston.

I think this sums it up nicely.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if they are pitching him extra carefully down there with so many of the other bats up in Baltimore (or injured in Mayo’s case) vs when the season started and the top 5 batters were all arguably deserving of a call up. 

22 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I wonder if they are pitching him extra carefully down there with so many of the other bats up in Baltimore (or injured in Mayo’s case) vs when the season started and the top 5 batters were all arguably deserving of a call up. 

And the AAA pitching is really bad

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 10:23 AM, RZNJ said:

1B Mountcastle 

2B Holliday

SS Henderson

3B Westburg

C Rutschman 

LF Cowser

CF Mullins

RF Mayo

DH O’Hearn?  Kjerstad?

Regarding Mayo in RF; I 'd think that if the O's had any inkling that RF would be worth exploring, Mayo would be getting time there in Norfolk.  But he isn't.  I'd like to see it, but apparently the brass disagrees and are playing him (as always) mostly at 3B and some at 1B.  Mayo hasn't had a single rep in the outfield in his minors career.

But back to Holliday... :P

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

And the AAA pitching is really bad

Sure, but if so it’s bad for everybody and Holliday is clearly outpacing them all in this category. So that doesn’t really explain it. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/6/2024 at 10:35 AM, Flash- bd said:

I can't sse them in Norfolk the rest of the season because they will either be in Baltimore or in another organization after the deadline.  I expect the 40-man will look very different in August.

33 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Regarding Mayo in RF; I 'd think that if the O's had any inkling that RF would be worth exploring, Mayo would be getting time there in Norfolk.  But he isn't.  I'd like to see it, but apparently the brass disagrees and are playing him (as always) mostly at 3B and some at 1B.  Mayo hasn't had a single rep in the outfield in his minors career.

But back to Holliday... :P

People like to ignore this fact about Mayo. 🙃

• Upvote 1

To me, Holliday was the superstar, once in a generation prospect blazing through the minors in 2023. He had a decent spring, was good in AAA, then crapped the bed in the majors. I think he's dropped down a rung or two and now he's not the superstar prospect anymore. That means he's going to get the same level of seasoning in AAA that a lot of the other prospects have gotten. I don't think Elias & Co. want to see him come up again and need to be sent back down.

5 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

To me, Holliday was the superstar, once in a generation prospect blazing through the minors in 2023. He had a decent spring, was good in AAA, then crapped the bed in the majors. I think he's dropped down a rung or two and now he's not the superstar prospect anymore. That means he's going to get the same level of seasoning in AAA that a lot of the other prospects have gotten. I don't think Elias & Co. want to see him come up again and need to be sent back down.

No offense but this is laughable.