Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea it’s foolish.

It’s foolish to draw major conclusions and greatly change your thoughts because of 34 at bats.

This entire exchange is foolish. Bringing up bad players as a comp is foolish. Acting as if he’s still not performing is foolish. Acting like we should ignore all of his accomplishments and his age because he’s in the midst of tweaking some things and learning is foolish.

The only prospect who may be better is Skenes and he won’t even be a prospect for too much longer. 

Yeah, because prospect rankings are always perfect.

Just now, baltfan said:

Yeah, because prospect rankings are always perfect.

lol.  You are the one who is asking about ranking prospects but now they aren’t perfect?  Why?  Because they don’t fit your absurd narrative?  Because the people in and around the game aren’t dumb enough to change their thoughts over 34 at bats?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Really, foolish.? Foolish to think that two guys both routinely ranked among the top 10 overall prospects might be better than the guy that is #1 or #2? It's not like I was putting him behind Kjerstad.

Nah, not necessarily foolish. You stated a few reasons.  I think @Flash- bdadded more context that weakens your points to a degree.

BA bumped Basallo a good bit in their rankings based on a SSS after an injury.  No one peeped at that.  Doesn't mean either side is foolish  Maybe imperfect and/or wrong, but not foolish.

9 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Nah, not necessarily foolish. You stated a few reasons.  I think @Flash- bdadded more context that weakens your points to a degree.

BA bumped Basallo a good bit in their rankings based on a SSS after an injury.  No one peeped at that.  Doesn't mean either side is foolish  Maybe imperfect and/or wrong, but not foolish.

No it’s foolish.  You don’t have to put lipstick on a pig because people get easily offended.

And it’s not one aspect that is foolish, it’s the entirety of this argument that is foolish. 

I think if you took away the fact that JH was 1 and 1, and just judged him based on his athleticism, baseball smarts, and his play with the Os and his play at AAA this year, nobody would be calling him the best prospect in baseball.  In fact many might be saying he has no real future other than just a guy.

Of course we can't do that as he has played well his entire life, including last year in the minors, so he has a track record.

And let me be clear again...I think he will be a really good player for a long time.  I just don't see superstar. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, baltfan said:

His defensive metrics were excellent in the MLB.

Yeah I know that and it was talked about on here.  Kind of goes to show how sometimes those metrics don't tell the entire story.

To me he was very shaky playing D.  From the fielding to being in the right position to just throwing to first base.  Nothing seemed fluid or natural.  He made most of the plays that he should have, but I didn't see anything that made me go wow like it did when Manny first came up.   I remember JH's first tough play in his first game was chasing down a pop up into shallow center and he looked......bad. 

8 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

A lot of what goes into his "ranking" is the age/level combo'd with his command of the strike zone.

Somehow people forget, he's only 20.

Yep.  It’s one of the many things “fans” forget.

I'm going to reserve judgement and see how he looks at age 21, but I don't see how you can look at what he's doing in AAA and think he's going to be better than Henderson, which SG has stated before. 

Better than an MVP-candidate SS on pace to hit like 40 bombs? 

Yeah, no. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm going to reserve judgement and see how he looks at age 21, but I don't see how you can look at what he's doing in AAA and think he's going to be better than Henderson, which SG has stated before. 

Better than an MVP-candidate SS on pace to hit like 40 bombs? 

Yeah, no. 

Whether or not he ends up better than Gunnar remains to be seen and a lot of that is in his hands..ie, will he put in the work?

That said, he’s further along and more advanced at 20 than Gunnar was a year older.

His age 19 season was better than what Gunnar was at age 20, in the same leagues (in fact Holliday got there later)

You people are hilarious. Any excuse to worry, any reason at all to predict the worst possible outcomes, and you'll argue that it'll happen vehemently during a season that is on pace to out-do last year's 101 wins. The result of years of baseball-inflicted abuse, no doubt. He's 20 years old and outplaying the majority of players in the minors. Maybe focus on that and hope for the best? Or does it feel good to over analyze every single negative that may or may not exist up to this point? Following decades of ineptitude is a hell of a drug, I guess.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

lol.  You are the one who is asking about ranking prospects but now they aren’t perfect?  Why?  Because they don’t fit your absurd narrative?  Because the people in and around the game aren’t dumb enough to change their thoughts over 34 at bats?

No, I would acknowledge that I could be wrong on this.  You are the one saying it would be foolish that I am right, and you are wrong.  

• Confused 1