What would you do?

baltfan

What would you do?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Elias and thought Holliday wasn’t going to win ROTY to get the pick, what would you do?

• Let him start Opening Day with the Orioles
    • Keep him down until the service time deadline passes
    • Keep him down until Late July like they did Gunnar and keep his ROTY eligibility for 2025

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

2B was/is pretty clear.   Henderson figured things out when he was 20/21.   Holliday had it figured out at 19.   Why do we ding this kid because he’s done what very few have done at his age?   I would argue that Holliday is more ready to succeed offensively than Henderson was last April.

Elias apparently disagrees.   

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Elias apparently disagrees.   

Not necessarily.  This team won 101 and made the playoffs.  I think there’s a bit of confidence on Elias part that he can slow play Holliday, let him bake a little more, gain the extra service year, and not hurt the teams playoff chances.  That doesn’t mean he disagrees with any of the points I made.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Not necessarily.  This team won 101 and made the playoffs.  I think there’s a bit of confidence on Elias part that he can slow play Holliday, let him bake a little more, gain the extra service year, and not hurt the teams playoff chances.  That doesn’t mean he disagrees with any of the points I made.

He’d be foolish to assume he has a margin of error for making the playoffs.  I doubt he’s assuming that.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’d be foolish to assume he has a margin of error for making the playoffs.  I doubt he’s assuming that.  

You honestly think that they take the best 26 players regardless of service time, player options, etc.?

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You honestly think that they take the best 26 players regardless of service time, player options, etc.?

I think we are in a different position now than at any other time in the Elias era.  We’re a playoff favorite for the first time.  And I think Elias’ roster choices are designed to win us the most games possible in a long 162 game season.  Considering how to preserve depth for later in the season, and how to prepare the younger players to best contribute once they are in the majors, are part of that calculus.  I think service time might have weight in a very close call, but it’s not an overriding factor.  That’s my opinion of how it should be, and how it is.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think we are in a different position now than at any other time in the Elias era.  We’re a playoff favorite for the first time.  And I think Elias’ roster choices are designed to win us the most games possible in a long 162 game season.  Considering how to preserve depth for later in the season, and how to prepare the younger players to best contribute once they are in the majors, are part of that calculus.  I think service time might have weight in a very close call, but it’s not an overriding factor.  That’s my opinion of how it should be, and how it is.

Well said, as usual.  I do agree that he’s got his eye on the long haul and maintaining his depth.  I think in order to do that whether it be this season or two years down the road he’s conservative on the short term.

His plan seems to be,” lets try this and I’ve got all my pieces to make changes later”, rather than “I think these are the best 26 and I’m willing to have fewer moves available to me later on”.

I can’t believe this team isn’t better even if Jackson Holliday is playing 2B against RHP only.  I think Elias and Hyde believe that too.   Whether it’s service time or development they are willing to sacrifice short term for long term in his case.

The Os brought up Gunnar at the end of August, not July. Bringing him up at the end of July will likely result in him playing too much and taking ROY from him next year.

Im going option 4..extend him today and start him on OD.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os brought up Gunnar at the end of August, not July. Bringing him up at the end of July will likely result in him playing too much and taking ROY from him next year.

Im going option 4..extend him today and start him on OD.

And if Holliday won’t agree to an extension?

It is not out of the question that the ownership deal closes and an extension is offered. I am not expecting it, but it’s clear that we were not really offering that with Angelos and we have no idea what new ownership thinks. 

It’s worth noting that John Angelos has his organization in as strong a position as any team being sold ever has had before. 

Low payroll, deep talent on both major and minor league rosters. Talent bubbling up from international signings. 

There is so much available right now and so much uncertainty about the future…bright as it appears to be. I have no problem with Elias keeping all options open. But I expect him to be an AL East contender. Now and in the future. 

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And if Holliday won’t agree to an extension?

He will if the right deal is there…but if he doesn’t, I leave him down until early June..at that point, you almost assuredly avoid super 2 and he probably loses a chance of finishing top 2 in ROY although it’s still possible.

This is the same plan I have had all offseason. Nothing has changed for me.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He will if the right deal is there…but if he doesn’t, I leave him down until early June..at that point, you almost assuredly avoid super 2 and he probably loses a chance of finishing top 2 in ROY although it’s still possible.

This is the same plan I have had all offseason. Nothing has changed for me.

What number do you believe would make him sign? 10/$150 or more?

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

In another thread, you are essentially arguing that there isn’t a need to worry about the pen because we had a low save % last year.

Now you are saying we shouldn’t assume a margin for error.

Which is it?

21 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

What number do you believe would make him sign? 10/$150 or more?

Something in the 8/110-9/135 range. 

If they want to go the Witt route and add in player opt out years after that, so be it.

Edited by Sports Guy