What would you do?

baltfan

What would you do?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Elias and thought Holliday wasn’t going to win ROTY to get the pick, what would you do?

• Let him start Opening Day with the Orioles
    • Keep him down until the service time deadline passes
    • Keep him down until Late July like they did Gunnar and keep his ROTY eligibility for 2025

24 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Can’t assume that, that changes the equation completely. 

Yes you can.  Elias I am sure has projections that give him a good idea of whether he thinks Holliday will be ROTY.  It would be irresponsible of him not to consider them.  

I know this is a wild idea…lol And who knows the O’s may have tried (though I doubt it). But if I was Elias and the O’s, I would lock young superstar talent like Holliday up, so that you don’t have to play there silly little games with trying to game the system.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Yes you can.  Elias I am sure has projections that give him a good idea of whether he thinks Holliday will be ROTY.  It would be irresponsible of him not to consider them.  

He has a very good chance of being top 2. 

Under the old rules I’d say keep him down, but I fail to see much benefit by playing service time games in this instance. It has a high chance of doing nothing expect cost us a draft pick. 

It’s interesting that most of the people on this site treat this as a business just like many are alleging Elias is doing.  If you don’t think he is ready enough to get you the pick, send him down and get the extra year.  Of note, some of what Elias said is legit.  Holliday struck out 9 of 15 times versus lefties in the majors.  If you want him to be an everyday player, you can’t afford that level of incompetence.  Maybe he would pick it up in the majors, but this team is contending and can’t afford to accommodate that development. 

If you can reasonably believe that Urias and Holliday would give you the same amount of production, then I don’t see the harm in giving Holliday more AAA time and gaining the extra year.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What about in 2030 tho?  Haha. We’re poor team until we see otherwise. 

Until Elias sees otherwise too — he has to operate like he has been and assume that the budget is minimal and his only resources are limited. Until the new ownership group is approved, being a cash poor team is the world the O’s live in.

2 minutes ago, Orioles West said:

Until Elias sees otherwise too — he has to operate like he has been and assume that the budget is minimal and his only resources are limited. Until the new ownership group is approved, being a cash poor team is the world the O’s live in.

I would have thought he had a conversation with Rubenstein but maybe not. Guess we will find out soon.

Honestly none of the options. I’d keep him down until May/June to ensure that my plan to get an extra year isn’t foiled by him still winning ROY. As a sports writer, I’d vote him in as ROY anyway to spite the system. As a union member, I’d start holding my union leadership accountable for why they didn’t fix this loophole, and directed their focus more on making sure the Scherzer’s of the world can earn every last dollar.