Matt Holliday not happy

Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we did have some negotiating leverage for an extension if Holliday didn’t want to go to AAA, and wanted to start his MLB career ASAP. Obviously we were far apart. 

Also, winning fixes a lot of stuff, but usually not money. Holliday could win 6 WS and 6 MVPs here and still sign with the highest bidder when FA comes. 

Why do you think Elias had the authority to offer an extension when he made the decision to send Holliday down?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

No extension is easy.

End of the day, for him to mention Chuorio’s name, that means either he would sign an extension or daddy is a disingenuous person. 

You can’t say what he said about Chuorio in the context he did it and not mean it.

I think you read too much into the comment. He was basically saying Chourio wouldn't be on the big team if he didn't sign a contract. They would be trying to get an extra year of control of him. 

Edited by Malike

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I think you read too much into the comment. He was basically saying Chourio wouldn't be on the big team if he didn't sign a contract. They would be trying to get an extra year of control of him. 

Right but if you are going to acknowledge that and you see that being the case, you can’t then complain about it if you aren’t willing to do the same thing.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Right but if you are going to acknowledge that and you see that being the case, you can’t then complain about it if you aren’t willing to do the same thing.

Oh, you're talking about Matt not having the right to complain? I read it as if you were saying he would have been amenable for Jackson to sign a contract before he even made the big team.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Oh, you're talking about Matt not having the right to complain? I read it as if you were saying he would have been amenable for Jackson to sign a contract before he even made the big team.

It’s all of it.  As I said, you are either ok with the extension if you are bringing it up or you are being disingenuous about it.

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s all of it.  As I said, you are either ok with the extension if you are bringing it up or you are being disingenuous about it.

He’s bringing it up because it’s an example of how finances affect the game.  Chourio signed an extension and makes the team.  Holliday is not signed to an extension and didn’t make the team.  How you go from there to that somehow means Matt Holliday should be telling his son to sign an extension is confusing a lot of people BECAUSE IT MAKES ZERO SENSE !!

If Jackson had an extension, he’d probably be on the club. It may or may not be in Jackson’s best interest or preference to do so. Both those things are true and I’m sure Matt understands that, so I don’t see anything disingenuous there. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Malike said:

So they took a snip from the blurb where he wasn't "unhappy" and the Banner takes 1 small quote without the full context, which Holliday was completely reasonable in his assessment and now he's unhappy. This is why social media and journalism have become a meme.

The Baltimore banner is on my shit list. Same with Jon Meoli.

8 hours ago, waroriole said:

It’s a really bad look for MLB to have this service time manipulation continue. No other professional sports league holds players in perpetuity by keeping the more talented players in the minor leagues. I get that it’s a union issue to bargain for, but MLB should have some incentive to get rid of this too. 

This was 100% the player's union fault for not really fighting to end this service time manipulation. This complicated system could have easily been solved during the last CBA, but instead, they did nothing significant to make teams not do this.

Do I blame Elias for using this loophole, or course not. He actually would have been silly NOT to have used it when you get an entire season of control for a few weeks in the minors. 

A extra year or Holliday and Mayo is certainly worth a few weeks in the minors. 

Now, would I have preferred Holliday making the team and a 10 or 12 year contract being announced, sure, but that's unrealistic until the ownership change and even then it's unknown yet whether the new owners will be willing to do this or if the players would be willing. Afterall, you don't take Boras on as an agent to give away your earning power.

As for his father being frustrated for his son, I 100% get it. Nothing he said was wrong. We all know this was about service time manipulation and we all know Jackson Holliday and Coby Mayo were ready for the big leagues.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

I wanted Holliday on the OD roster since it's no guarantee they get the extra year unless he's down at least half the year. But if the Hollidays aren't happy then they shouldn't have gone with Boras as an agent.

10 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I wanted Holliday on the OD roster since it's no guarantee they get the extra year unless he's down at least half the year. But if the Hollidays aren't happy then they shouldn't have signed with the Orioles.

Ftfy

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

Yeah because Boras is well known for getting his clients to sign extensions. 

Once again because people don't listen.

Boras is the employee.

If the client wants to sign an extension Boras will help facilitate that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Once again because people don't listen.

Boras is the employee.

If the client wants to sign an extension Boras will help facilitate that.

Is there any indication Holliday wants an extension? There is not much precedent for Boras clients getting extensions. Players do not hire Boras to get extensions. 

Hiring Boras is kind of an FU to the organization you’re playing for. 

Maybe that sounds harsh but… it’s hard not to see it that way. 

Posted (edited)

Why don’t people get that Holliday is already on a 7 year contract where the funds are essentially written in stone?

The question isn’t can you get Holliday to sign an 8-9 year deal. It’s can you get him to sign a 2-3 year deal.

Edited by Sports Guy