Matt Holliday not happy

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No extension is easy.

End of the day, for him to mention Chuorio’s name, that means either he would sign an extension or daddy is a disingenuous person. 

You can’t say what he said about Chuorio in the context he did it and not mean it.

I don’t think I follow. Is there any doubt that Holliday would sign an extension, if the Os offered him a very strong, probably record breaking deal? He’s pretty much being discussed as a generational prospect pretty broadly right now. 

Matt Holliday was pretty big in the players union. Why didn’t the players vote for a salary cap, and franchise tag?  They voted for these rules. The vets in the player’s union screw over the young guys. Now his son is one of the young guys. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

BORAS IS THE EMPLOYEE!

There is no let.

Agree with “no let.”  But I think that players who hire Boras do so because they agree with him philosophically.  If Holliday or Gunnar were more inclined to sign an extension they probably would have hired a different agent in the first place.

7 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I don’t think I follow. Is there any doubt that Holliday would sign an extension, if the Os offered him a very strong, probably record breaking deal? He’s pretty much being discussed as a generational prospect pretty broadly right now. 

I don’t think there’s any doubt but plenty of people don’t feel Boras will “allow it”.

The point is, for daddy to be bringing this up, it tells me that he would sign one.

22 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Not joking. Every Team in MLB has the right to do this. That's a fact. I personally wanted him on the OD Roster. It's the system everyone agreed too. Live with it.

I don’t have to “live with” anything. It impacts my life to zero degrees.

It’s the Orioles and Holliday who have to live with each other (hopefully for the long term).

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt but plenty of people don’t feel Boras will “allow it”.

The point is, for daddy to be bringing this up, it tells me that he would sign one.

That’s not the way I interpreted it.  He brought up the Chourios extension and also said if there was no free agency he would be on the team.  I didn’t read that as indicating an openness to an extension.

• Upvote 2

The Rays traded David Price, Chris Archer, Tyler Glasnow, and God knows how many others at peak value. The Rays are very good at trading good guys for more good guys.

Also, Boras is famous and rich because he’s dominating, demanding, charismatic and persuasive, when he ADVISES HIS CLIENTS TO DO X, it’s very difficult to say him Nay, so yeah.

Think Don Corleone’s offer.

So, fagetabudit…Gunnar and the Gang gon’ be gone after a few years.

Instead of complaining(even though I’m complaining too) let’s instead hope that ME drafts as well when picking 30th as when he picks 1-5.

PS Anybody else think Matt Holliday looks like Brad Pitt?

Edited by Philip

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Sure but I’m concerned they’re of the mind that any deal would have to be such a no brainer for him to forego free agency that it’s not really likely. Corbin Burnes I’m sure would sign with Milwaukee or Baltimore for 8/$320m, and as such he’s not being disingenuous when he says he’s open to an extension.

I think Matt just used it as a valid argument that IF Jackson was signed he’d likely be on the team. But the fact that he more or less chalked up the Os position as all being part of “the game” kind of tells me he’s very comfortable with leveraging the player’s self interest element of “the game” as well.

I’ll be the first to say I may be reading too much into this though.

1 minute ago, btownoriole said:

That’s not the way I interpreted it.  He brought up the Chourios extension and also said if there was no free agency he would be on the team.  I didn’t read that as indicating an openness to an extension.

His exact wording was..if he was under contract like…

If he’s going to mention that, it should be a put your money with your mouth this type thing.

I wouldn't extend Matt's comment to mean he's open to an extension.    He's just describing the reality (Eloy, B. Lowe, Colt Keith) that if a kid sells some FA years at a price point amenable to the GM, they have magically "figured out what they need to work on", and suddenly become part of the Opening Day roster.

The truth until it isn't is that despite the fantastic success so far, zero key individuals have signed on for the longer term yet.  

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, btownoriole said:

It’s easy. Chourio is roughly the same age and is regarded as the #2 prospect behind Holliday.   They’re semi-linked already. 

I didn’t read it as being open to an extension either. 

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

End of the day, for him to mention Chuorio’s name, that means either he would sign an extension or daddy is a disingenuous person. 

Huh?   Can someone translate this into logical?

I think we did have some negotiating leverage for an extension if Holliday didn’t want to go to AAA, and wanted to start his MLB career ASAP. Obviously we were far apart. 

Also, winning fixes a lot of stuff, but usually not money. Holliday could win 6 WS and 6 MVPs here and still sign with the highest bidder when FA comes. 

2 hours ago, Malike said:

So they took a snip from the blurb where he wasn't "unhappy" and the Banner takes 1 small quote without the full context, which Holliday was completely reasonable in his assessment and now he's unhappy. This is why social media and journalism have become a meme.

This.

The tweet is disingenuous. The real clip of Matt Holiday was posted here on the message board yesterday and Matt was just speaking in a matter of fact calm type of way, as to say he understands how MLB is a business.

I'm sure he's not thrilled about his son not being called up, but that would just be me making an assumption. I thought Matt was professional in the clip with expressing his opinion about the business side of things. He has a right to an opinion. And he wasn't trying to put anyone in the Orioles down either.