Matt Holliday not happy

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Did the Banner say he was unhappy or was it just Sports Guy?

The Banner article pretty well captures the nuanced take Holliday presented IMO. He acknowledges disappointment, but spins it positively as a growth opportunity for his son. He also discusses the business realities and people naturally watching out for their best interests, but he refrains from directly calling it service time manipulation, even though he implies that it’s obviously a part of this. The subject title of this thread feels more misleading than the article itself. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Did the Banner say he was unhappy or was it just Sports Guy?

I don't have X so when I click it it says sign in. The title alone is disingenuous, Holliday never questioned the decision in the audio he gave.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't have X so when I click it it says sign in. The title alone is disingenuous, Holliday never questioned the decision in the audio he gave.

Not sure what headline you could choose that would better describe the way he philosophically discussed the decision. I guess he was answering several questions as opposed to raising the issue itself, but he certainly implied service time was involved.

9 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Not sure what headline you could choose that would better describe the way he philosophically discussed the decision. I guess he was answering several questions as opposed to raising the issue itself, but he certainly implied service time was involved.

He never questioned the Oriole's decision. Perhaps, Holliday talks about Oriole's decision or something a bit more true.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

He never questioned the Oriole's decision. Perhaps, Holliday talks about Oriole's decision or something a bit more true.

IMG_2022.thumb.jpeg.0b5fd636889eafb56193b330e2996b40.jpeg

There are plenty of legitimate cases of poor or misleading media out there. Being upset that a headline refers to this as “questioning” isn’t one of them IMO.

I've read different takes but having this full article, particularly with the parts quoted by @ThisIsBirdland above, makes me feel somewhat better about it.

The other day, I DM'd a former player who's now on MLB Network, sending him Elias' explanation that was quoted in one of these threads.  His response was, "These decisions are always tough, u just don't want him to get discouraged b/c he is already disappointed. I've been. He knows he has nothing left to prove but he's not the first and won't be the last!"

Am glad to now read the quote below from Matt Holliday, from the article.  The parenting Jackson has received to bring him this far seems to be a bonus we will continue to benefit from:

“It doesn’t always go your way,” Matt Holliday said. “And so, I think he was disappointed, and so I was disappointed for him. He moves on from things pretty well and pretty fast.”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure he knows that.

He also knows that he probably is part of the decision making process for any future extensions with Jackson.

The talks are over.  They just bought out one free agent year.

I’m sure Matt Holliday doesn’t have his head in the sand. He’s absolutely right about his son being better than… Tony Kemp?

Obviously the best players don’t always make it out of spring training. I’m sure his message to his kid was “It is what it is. Continue to control the controllables.”

Elias has plausible deniability. He hasn’t played that many games at second base (or anywhere for that matter) at AAA. But it’s pretty clear to anyone with a pulse that he checks all the boxes and is only going to improve. Gunnar got the same treatment, really. Elias has been consistent.

Trust the process, I guess. It’s worked swimmingly thus far.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

IMG_2022.thumb.jpeg.0b5fd636889eafb56193b330e2996b40.jpeg

There are plenty of legitimate cases of poor or misleading media out there. Being upset that a headline refers to this as “questioning” isn’t one of them IMO.

His dad is right…so for him to be throwing things out like the Chuorio contract, that must mean his son is amendable to an extension, right?  

That is the question that should have been asked.

53 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Are you joking? ... It's kind of important to our long term success that we are able to extend budding stars like his son. The last thing that I would want is to alienate him or his son.

Not joking. Every Team in MLB has the right to do this. That's a fact. I personally wanted him on the OD Roster. It's the system everyone agreed too. Live with it.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

His dad is right…so for him to be throwing things out like the Chuorio contract, that must mean his son is amendable to an extension, right?  

That is the question that should have been asked.

I think he’d drop the Corbin Burnes line saying of course he’s open to an extension but he also believes in his own ability to pursue the benefits and control that free agency allows. Honestly, Matt’s apparent understanding that neither side in these instances is “wrong” to pursue their self interest, plus the fact that Jackson is represented by Boras, paint a pretty clear picture on the hurdle that will need to be cleared to reach an early extension. Not impossible I imagine, but probably not too easy. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think he’d drop the Corbin Burnes line saying of course he’s open to an extension but he also believes in his own ability to pursue the benefits and control that free agency allows. Honestly, Matt’s apparent understanding that neither side in these instances is “wrong” to pursue their self interest, plus the fact that Jackson is represented by Boras, paint a pretty clear picture on the hurdle that will need to be cleared to reach an early extension. Not impossible I imagine, but probably not too easy. 

No extension is easy.

End of the day, for him to mention Chuorio’s name, that means either he would sign an extension or daddy is a disingenuous person. 

You can’t say what he said about Chuorio in the context he did it and not mean it.

It’s a really bad look for MLB to have this service time manipulation continue. No other professional sports league holds players in perpetuity by keeping the more talented players in the minor leagues. I get that it’s a union issue to bargain for, but MLB should have some incentive to get rid of this too.