It's done - We have new owners! - Press conference right now on masn Orioles YouTube channel

spleen1015

Watching the interview that Rubenstein did with Cal and Ryan Ripken, I feel really good about his perspective. And I believe that he will make some of the needed/necessary changes that the org needs to make both on the field (through financial investing) but also off of the field (through investing in the community that the team resides in).

9 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Watching the interview that Rubenstein did with Cal and Ryan Ripken, I feel really good about his perspective. And I believe that he will make some of the needed/necessary changes that the org needs to make both on the field (through financial investing) but also off of the field (through investing in the community that the team resides in).

This is what I’ve been hoping for. We actually need to see some actual movement to cement the vision. I’m really hoping Mr Rubbenstein is treating this like a rich owner with a new toy as opposed to a venture capital venture.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

This is what I’ve been hoping for. We actually need to see some actual movement to cement the vision. I’m really hoping Mr Rubbenstein is treating this like a rich owner with a new toy as opposed to a venture capital venture.

He keeps saying he wants a WS Trophy. And a parade. He's been pretty clear this is important to him. Refreshing change.

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m encouraged that it is not the later given his long history as a philanthropist. 

49 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m encouraged that it is not the later given his long history as a philanthropist. 

Simply put, this guy does not need to make money off his baseball team.  He’s got gobs of money, his main business is very profitable, and he’s 74 years old.  He’s in it to win it and leave a legacy.  And, he seems smart enough to let Elias do his thing.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Interview with DR and Cal for anyone interested.

Two moments I found interesting and enjoyable.  At about the 12 minutes mark, DR said the job of the front office and manager is to “put the best players on the field, train them properly, and make sure that they’re adequately compensated.”  And then at the end, Cal said “they have a good chance of making the playoffs” and DR interjected “WE do.”   

DR made an interesting point about getting African Americans in Baltimore more interested in playing and following baseball.  He said only 4% of fans at Camden Yards are African American.  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the short “Next Chapter” video features an African American girl delighting in thumbing through an Orioles scrapbook.  I bet you are going to see the Orioles really stepping up the efforts to get local kids to games and to build interest inside the city.  

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Two moments I found interesting and enjoyable.  At about the 12 minutes mark, DR said the job of the front office and manager is to “put the best players on the field, train them properly, and make sure that they’re adequately compensated.”  And then at the end, Cal said “they have a good chance of making the playoffs” and DR interjected “WE do.”   

DR made an interesting point about getting African Americans in Baltimore more interested in playing and following baseball.  He said only 4% of fans at Camden Yards are African American.  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the short “Next Chapter” video features an African American girl delighting in thumbing through an Orioles scrapbook.  I bet you are going to see the Orioles really stepping up the efforts to get local kids to games and to build interest inside the city.  

It goes with his politics and the whole political climate right now, so I’m not surprised that it’s a priority for him and it checks that box.

That being said, it should be a priority. I picked up on that too and felt the 4% stat was interesting.

I definitely feel part of the baseball issue with African Americans is that there aren’t a lot of players that “look like me”. Now, that’s not totally MLBs fault but I do think it’s a big reason they tend to migrate to football and basketball more.

Most teams are in major cities, where the minority population is usually high and while MLB isn’t ignoring this, you wonder if they are doing enough. 

Just from a pure talent aspect of things, if you could tap into that NBa and NFL talent and have those kids play baseball instead, that would be huge.

Has anyone in MLB set up facilities in inner cities Ala the facility in the DR? It seems to me that may be a project worth pursuing. I know Ripken Baseball has built fields and done stuff in inner cities but I wonder if there was something more than that, if that would help?

Getting someone like Adam Jones involved in a project like that would be something I would pursue.

• Upvote 1