It's done - We have new owners! - Press conference right now on masn Orioles YouTube channel

spleen1015

I used to think that the only obstacles for a proposed owner being approved were insufficient financial resources to weather a business disaster (like a pandemic) and invovement in sports betting. I guess it's down to the first of those. 

Can't wipe the smile off my face today, that's for sure.  And that's usually true on Opening Day; got it a day early this year.  Now we just need the weather to cooperate tomorrow and not make us wait another 24 hours for a game!!!

In time for Opening Day.    Who would've  thunk it? 😉

On 1/31/2024 at 6:04 PM, TonySoprano said:

Angelos bought the club August 2, 1993 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/1993/08/03/sold-173000000-angelos-dewitt-team-up-to-buy-orioles-the-sale-of-the-orioles-local-ownership-group-pays-record-price-for-club/

Full approval of the purchase was on October 4, 1993.

Two months is about the same timeframe for Cohen's purchase of the Mets to be official in 2020.  Given all that, I expect this will be official around Opening Day.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

I really don't care about dedicating the opening of the press conference to the Key Bridge, or what Younkin did in VA. That is all meaningless politicking.

Currently, one of the main hubs of economic activity and jobs in the state is shut down. It should be a full time job handling the logistics of getting it re-opened as soon as possible. 

So not only is it a bad "look", It actually takes time and resources away from handling something much more important for the state.

Let’s be honest - Governor Moore is not going to micromanage the bridge response or spend 24 hours a day on that.  There are people in his administration who are directly responsible for such things and he will participate as needed.   

That said, I don’t really know why he’d be part of this press conference.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

Saw why you want about JA but that’s a pretty classy statement by him. Granted he managed to pay himself on the back quite a bit, but nothing he said ok that front was really wrong either. 

He had a good PR person write that up. The statement didn't talk enough about John to be from John.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

This video was very well done! Gave me goosebumps. Looks like the Orioles social media/media team have learned a thing or 2 from our other professional sports franchise in town about who to tell a story using video media. Now let's hope they get the part right on the field that brings us a championship!

I had tears in my eyes.  

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s be honest - Governor Moore is not going to micromanage the bridge response or spend 24 hours a day on that.  There are people in his administration who are directly responsible for such things and he will participate as needed.   

That said, I don’t really know why he’d be part of this press conference.   

Supposedly Moore and Rubenstein are talking about development around Camden Yards and extending the 15 year lease to 30 years by the end of the year,if not sooner 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Got this email from the Orioles:

It is a privilege to introduce myself to you as the new control person of the Baltimore Orioles.

I grew up in Baltimore and am a lifelong Orioles fan. After college and law school I served in the administration of President Jimmy Carter and founded an investment company, The Carlyle Group. In addition to supporting Johns Hopkins Medicine I have committed resources to what I call Patriotic Philanthropy, which is about honoring the history and heritage of America. I also love the arts and serve as Chairman of the Kennedy Center and the National Gallery of Art, both in Washington, DC.

I thank Major League Baseball and its owners for entrusting me with this great responsibility. Owning the Baltimore Orioles is a great civic duty. I want you, our fans, to know that the entire Orioles organization will work its hardest to deliver for you with professionalism, integrity, excellence, and a fierce desire to win games.

When the opportunity first arose for me to purchase the Baltimore Orioles, I had three goals. The first was to put together a diverse partnership group comprising people who care about this city. Joining me in this venture are individuals who are well-known in Baltimore and have a deep connection to the city.

The investor group includes Michael Arougheti, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Ares Management; Mitchell Goldstein and Michael Smith, Co-Heads of the Ares Credit Group (together joint owners of Charm City Sports Partners, LLC). Subject to obtaining Major League Baseball approval, it is anticipated that the following will become part of the Orioles ownership group: Cal Ripken, Jr., Orioles legend and National Baseball Hall of Fame Member; Michele Kang, businesswoman and owner of the Washington Spirit; The Hon. Kurt Schmoke, former Baltimore Mayor; Grant Hill, Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer; The Hon. Mike Bloomberg, business leader and philanthropist; Bill Miller, investor, philanthropist, and lifelong Orioles fan; Rick Rieder, business leader and lifelong Orioles fan; Greg Baroni, business leader and lifelong Orioles fan; Stan, Allison & Albert Chen, business leaders and lifelong Orioles fans; Kate Ramsdell, lifelong Orioles fan; Lauren Tabak Fass, attorney and philanthropist; and Jason Reese, business leader.

My second goal is to strengthen the foundation laid by Peter Angelos and his family. The Angelos family bought the Orioles in 1993 and led them to three American League East titles and three AL Wild Card appearances. In the past five years, John Angelos led a dramatic overhaul of the team’s management, roster, recruitment strategy, and farm system, resulting in one of the most successful rebuilds in the history of professional sports.

Last, but perhaps most importantly, our eyes are set on returning the World Series trophy to Baltimore. I look forward to the day when we can parade that trophy through downtown Baltimore.

The future of the Baltimore Orioles and the City of Baltimore are bright. I know firsthand that the energy and enthusiasm for this team quickens the heartbeat of the city, and it is my honor to work alongside you – the best fans in baseball – as we embark on this next chapter together.

In the years to come, you will see exciting changes and initiatives aimed at enhancing your experience as a member of Birdland. Along those lines, I welcome your feedback for ways to take the Orioles to the next level of success.

Thank you for your continued support. Today, we begin writing the next chapter in Orioles history — one that will be filled with triumphs, memories, and, above all, a shared love for the team we cherish.

Go O’s!

Yep, I got it too.  It was even personally addressed ("Dear Stephen")... Rubenstein even knew to spell it the correct way instead of the incorrect Steven.   Sharp guy.

• Haha 1