2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Not sure where you got that stat but Ohtani, Judge, and Witt Jr all 3 best hitter in baseball bat 1-2 in the lineup.

Judge bats 3rd, Ramirez bats 3rd as well.  It all really depends on what other players you have on and speed in the lineup. I also prefer a left handed hitter to bat 3rd over 1st so they get the open hole more often between 1st and 2nd baseman.  Some guys don’t like hitting 1st either because they want to get a look at the pitcher from the un deck circle a time or two first.  

Just now, MDK02 said:

I really like Cowser at the 1 spot. He seems to be thriving there as well. Will it last? Let's hope!

As long as he keeps walking, working the county, hitting the ball hard and using all fields, he will be fine.  The results weren’t there for a few months but he was doing all of those things, which is why many of us weren’t worried about the results because we felt they would come.

3 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I really like Cowser at the 1 spot. He seems to be thriving there as well. Will it last? Let's hope!

I feel like he's there just because no one else really fits right now. Cowser has way too much swing and miss to his game to be a long-term leadoff hitter. He also isn't terrorizing any pitchers/catchers on the bases.

Holliday is the leadoff prince that was promised.

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Of note Jimenez is at DH with O'Hearn playing in LF tonight.

Orioles at Blue Jays | O’s Starting Lineup | MASN2 | 7:07 p.m.  CF - Cowser RF - Santander SS - Henderson LF - O’Hearn C - Rutschman 1B - Mountcastle DH - Jiménez 2B - Holliday 3B - Urías P - Rodriguez  The graphic features an image of Gunnar throwing his bat to the side after drawing a walk.

I suspeccted they would start finding ways to sit Mullins a bit more often even vs RH pitchers.   I thought Slater might get a start vs a righty, but instead they moved O'Hearn to the OF so that Mounty/Jiminez/Santander all got to play as well.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The Roku broadcast mentioned that GRod wish have multiple 3-4 inning rehab starts and then get one start at the Ml level at the end of the year. I would assume this is info they were told by the team and didn’t make it up but if so, I think it’s possible GRod goes to the pen for the playoffs if he’s not right yet. Remember, he has had mechanical issues coming back from injuries, so shorter stints could be in the cards for him especially if they need high leverage reliever help. We have to see how he looks coming back from the injury but don’t be surprised if that happens, despite the lack of starting rotation depth.
    • Also Not to be overlooked. Cowser is currently 5th in MLB in K%.   
    • At this point it's hoping that Mounty, Westburg, Urias and Kjerstad can come back and provide a jolt.  Maybe Adley can figure out a way to stop looking terrible...but as SG noted and I agree, I don't think he's 100% healthy. Move Mullins up to the 2 spot, drop Adley to 5th or 6th.  Hope Gunnar can stay hot.  That's about it.
    • Possibly, but I want to see if he can make adjustments first. Right now he's being beaten bc of his approach, not so much his tool set. Even though I don't love his LH bat speed, I think he can still have success from that side if he makes adjustments to his attack plan
    • No question. I don’t put anything on Mayo because the playing time is so inconsistent and he has had such few at bats that it’s not really effecting the team. I definitely thought Holliday would be producing better as of now but he’s also 20 and learning.    Before the season started, I consistently talked about how a big part of 2024 was Elias figuring out when to go with the inexperienced guys. It is a delicate balance. You need these guys to develop but you are also trying to win.    I think they have completely screwed up Mayo’s ML development this year. They didn’t play him at first enough, they called him up too late, they went away from him when maybe he was getting comfortable and now they aren’t playing him enough. Holliday is moving to a new position, trying to adjust and he’s just 20.    It’s a really tough situation for all involved but it’s also why I wanted to just go with these guys early and just take your lumps. Look at Milwaukee with Chuorio. His first 200 PA saw him have an OPS just over 600.  Since then, he has just about 300 PA and his OPS in that time frame is over 900.    Now I’m not saying this is what would have happened with Holliday but Chuorio hit that 200 PA mark in mid June. Holliday is still 28 PA from that…so maybe another week or so away from that. Milwaukee is going to the playoffs and they were patient with their 20 y/o star prospect. (Chuorio did start off better from day 1, which helped..struggled after) I really don’t think they have handled these situations as well as they should have and I think it’s hurting the team now.  
    • Its usually not, but in this case it is. If a ball is on the outside edge or top of the zone, Adley needs to look to drive it, bc the result right now is typically 0-1.  Those pitches can be hit for HRs or XBH if you're timed up and in this case, looking for it. Mike Trout talked about this indepth a few years ago. They pitch him differently every year. Analytics and data show holes in your swing or approach and the only way to beat it is to adjust. If Adley is looking for that first pitch location at the top of the zone, and cheats his set up to get to it more easily, he could get hot quick. Same with the outside strike: if you look for 1st pitch CB on the outside half of the strike zone and you get it, it can be absolutely barreled. Just gotta guess right, and in this case, there seems to be a lot of patterns and evidence that if Adley was commmitted to swinging at it and studying the analytics, he could guess right. But patterns show that if anything comes in with spin or near the edges, Adley don't bite on 1st pitch; however, again, typically 0-1 Looking for certain pitches on the edge to swing at early in counts is not a recipe for success if the scouting reports aren't recommending thats the way to attack you. Reports show Adley rarely swings 1st pitch as it is. He's not adjusting. Once he starts barreling 1st pitched edge strikes (even some balls), they will have to learn to pitch him differently. 
  • Popular Contributors