2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

1 hour ago, rm5678 said:

This is not the first time that the O's didn't put someone on the IL and then they're out for a bunch of days anyway, leaving us with a short bench. I don't why they're sometimes so hesitant to put players on the IL when it seems like it would probably be the best thing to do.

You think that is somehow specific to the Orioles?

Yordan Alvarez has missed this entire series for the Astros and stayed on the roster.

It's always a balancing act.   If a guy has an injury that will cause him to miss, say 4 days, which is better?   Playing shorthanded for 4 days, or being without your frontline player for 6 more days than necessary but having a AAAA player on the bench the whole ten days?

I don't think there's a clearcut answer to that.   Also, I don't think medical science is exact enough to kindly tell you exactly how many days the guy will miss.   I'll bet the doctor says something like 2-5 days, and it turns out to be 4.   So when you hear that 2-5, what is your initial decision going to be?   The guy might be good to go in 2 days and you are going to put him on the 10 day IL???

And if you delay the decision, the cost/benefit analysis changes   If you wait a couple days and then consider disabling the guy retroactively then you have already survived 2 games shorthanded, so now your decision is between maybe two more days shorthanded, vs 6 extra days without the player.

Edited by SteveA
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

IMG_1399.jpeg

Already 19, 18, 33, and 38 homers from the first four batters in the lineup must be rather intimidating to an opposing pitcher. If Henderson heats up, that could be two 20-homer and two 40-homer guys at the top in the playoffs. Need the bottom of the lineup to get on base more in front of them (Urias been hogging up those RBIs recently).