2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Career ML splits .634 vs RH and .699 vs LH.   I wouldn’t call that huge.  

Well, it's unusual for a lefty, as they are typically 50 points better vs LH at least.   And the splits for his minor league career are even more extreme.   Every year but one there was a significant split in favor of lefties hitting him better (and that one year was several years back and it was very close to even).

This is a guy who you sit your lefties who have proven to be ineffective vs LH, for sure.   O'Hearn, absolutely.   Holliday, with the way he is hitting now absolutely.   Maybe even Cedric who is 150 OPS points worse vs LH in his career.   But not so sure about Cowser.  I think we just went too far in loading the lineup with RH hitters here.

• Upvote 2

Just now, SteveA said:

I have no problem with the lefty/righty mindset in general.  I think a manager who ignores it in favor of small sample size "hot hand" managing like many here want is making a huge mistake.    O'Hearn should clearly not face lefties, his career numbers are really bad.  He absolutely shouldn't be starting.   Holliday is struggling vs every one, so giving him an off day against a tough lefty makes absolute 100% sense.   

And yes, Mullins is clearly worse vs LH than RH (150 points of OPS for his career).   But I think when also take into account Ragans career splits, both in the 159 MLB innings he has and in his entire minor league career... lefties do hit him.   I would definitely have had Mullins or Cowser or even both of them in there.

Sure, I don't mind it either when it makes sense to do so.  But sometimes it seems to be blindly followed even when the numbers suggest it shouldn't be.  And I don't disagree that you need to have enough numbers so you aren't just dealing with SSS, but as you noted we have more than enough data for Ragan to NOT make it lefty/righty thing in general.  And some of our players either don't have bad splits OR we don't have enough data to know if they have split issues.  Cowser, for example, his OPS isn't a ton different, but it's a SSS still.  While O'Hearn has historically had significant splits.  It SHOULD factor in when the numbers show it makes sense.  But it seems we follow it even when it doesn't really seem to need followed.  

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I have no problem with the lefty/righty mindset in general.  I think a manager who ignores it in favor of small sample size "hot hand" managing like many here want is making a huge mistake.    O'Hearn should clearly not face lefties, his career numbers are really bad.  He absolutely shouldn't be starting.   Holliday is struggling vs every one, so giving him an off day against a tough lefty makes absolute 100% sense.   

And yes, Mullins is clearly worse vs LH than RH (150 points of OPS for his career).   But I think when also take into account Ragans career splits, both in the 159 MLB innings he has and in his entire minor league career... lefties do hit him.   I would definitely have had Mullins or Cowser or even both of them in there.

It's amazing how you and many others are willing to acknowledge that the O'Hearn from KC is not the same O'Hearn of today but still use his numbers from KC to justify bad managerial decisions.

• Upvote 1

I would have played one of Mullins or Cowser and sat one of Mateo or Urias, but that's just me. 

Urias has been showing signs of life when he's been given  his minimal opportunities lately. But Mateo has been freezing sitting on the bench doing absolutely nothing for a significant number of games. Mateo is due for some playing time but he was not good against this pitcher last time around.

Mullins and Cowser are both on heaters. Even facing left handers, their hot streak has to account for something especially if the pitcher has reverse splits.

If they can get Ragans out of the game, O'Hearn, Mullins, and Cowser should be high priority options to pinch hit into the game.

On 4/19/2024 at 2:57 PM, interloper said:

Let's get all of em in there:

Gunnar - SS
Mounty - 1B
Taters - RF
Westburg - DH
Hays - LF
Mullins - CF
Urias - 3B
McCann - C
Mateo - 2B

Bingo, kinda.

Edited by interloper

20 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Orioles at Royals | O’s Starting Lineup | MASN2 | 2:10 p.m.  SS - Henderson C - Rutschman DH - O’Hearn RF - Santander 1B - Mountcastle CF - Mullins LF - Cowser 3B - Westburg 2B - Holliday P - Irvin  The graphic features an image of Santander smiling as he walks through the dugout.

That's a pretty relentless lineup to face, esp if Holliday gets going and esp with Hays, Urias, and Mateo on the bench to sub in situationally.

5 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’m far more concerned about how many runs will be given up than how many they’ll score today.

I mean Irvin will be on the mound… So there’s that.

Hopefully, it will be one of those days in sports where everything is pointing one way and then for whatever reason they go another.

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

Orioles at Royals | O’s Starting Lineup | MASN2 | 2:10 p.m.  SS - Henderson C - Rutschman DH - O’Hearn RF - Santander 1B - Mountcastle CF - Mullins LF - Cowser 3B - Westburg 2B - Holliday P - Irvin  The graphic features an image of Santander smiling as he walks through the dugout.

I’m a little surprised Tony is in the field today, looked dinged up towards the end of the game yesterday getting up slowly from both his slide into second and his diving catch.