2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'd obviously just start Cowser, but trying to think like Hyde here. Couple of reasons: I don't think Hyde wants to sit Hays for too long in a stretch of RHP. I still think he wants to play him roughly 25% of the time to try and get him on track. There's an off day tomorrow, so I think he'll feel like he needs to get him some action. Plus Hays has a small-sample record against Lopez in 5 AB against (I know). It's a more experienced pitcher and I think that helps Hyde justify giving Cowser a rest. He just rested Santander, so not really an option to sit him. 

I might be way off, but it's fun to try and predict. 

I guess that could be the case? But in the interest in trying to win today's game, especially given that we will have an unknown pitcher on the mound (who is likely to struggle/give up some runs), I would hope we would try to put the line up out there that gives us the best chance.

Right now, Hays isn't hitting and Cowser is. I hope the decision making centers around that being the main factor.

Yes Hays hasn't played much. But he hasn't performed at all when he has. And he has taken some pretty poor ABs, swinging at a lot of first pitches. I don't see the need to try to "force" him in the lineup, especially while sitting a hot hitter like Cowser.

But I guess we shall see.

• Upvote 1

I think today you lean playing your first string for the experience against the kind of pitchers they are likely to see in the playoffs.

Friday in the Alec Marsh rematch, play anyone you want.

Saturday in the Cole Ragans rematch, I hope they don't hide Holliday.    Learn by doing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Twins at Orioles | O’s Starting Lineup | MASN | 1:05 p.m.  SS - Henderson C - Rutschman RF - O’Hearn DH - Santander 1B - Mountcastle CF - Mullins LF - Cowser 3B - Westburg 2B - Holliday P - Suárez  The graphic features a photo of Gunnar Henderson watching the baseball he just hit for a home run.

What is the purpose of O'Hearn in RF and Santander at DH? Santander just had a day off and he has another one coming up. Doesn't Suarez profile as more of a fly ball guy? Why not support him with the better OF defense?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Welp, I guess that clears all of that up!

Glad Hyde/Elias/Sig/whoever/whatever, didn't over think it. Go with your best guess, especially riding the hot hand.

Nice, I like this lineup. I got the Mounty start right at least! 

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

What is the purpose of O'Hearn in RF and Santander at DH? Santander just had a day off and he has another one coming up. Doesn't Suarez profile as more of a fly ball guy? Why not support him with the better OF defense?

Santander must be sore or something. Or they are really going out of their way to rest him early in the season. Agree it's weird. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Santander must be sore or something. Or they are really going out of their way to rest him early in the season. Agree it's weird. 

He has had 1 day off this is just his 3rd game as DH

Love the lineup, but absolutely HATE O'Hearn in RF.  That should NEVER happen, IMO, though we certainly need to keep his bat in the lineup.  I'd rather have him in RF than on the bench, if that's the only choice, but I'd rather see Santander in RF or something else done.  Minor complaint over all, until he makes a bad play that costs us runs or the game of course.  

8 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

You make fair points so I can only guess Santander’s legs are a little sore or tight and they want to give him two consecutive days off.    That would make sense.   Otherwise, it doesn’t make too much sense.

12 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Could be Hyde intends to get Hays into the game as a PH/Defensive replacement if the opportunity presents vs. a LH reliever. In that case you'd rather keep Tony's bat in the lineup and get the full value of Hays glove.

Typing that out it seems a bit too convoluted to be the real reason. Just trying to present a different theory other than assuming Tony is hurting.

4 minutes ago, camdencrush said:

Tony did get hit in the knee last night

5 minutes ago, camdencrush said:

Tony did get hit in the knee last night

Good call.  Looked like the shin but same idea.