2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

I think tonight’s pitchers are very similar. Both seem to have the stuff to succeed but not consistent. Hopefully our guy is on and there’s is not. If I remember correctly Marsh was getting ahead early last time so hopefully we are aggressive first pitch.

I’m guessing: 

1. Gunnar - SS

2. Adley - DH

3. Mountcastle - 1B

4. Santander - RF

5. Westburg - 3B

6. Mullins - CF

7. Hays - LF

8. Urias - 2B

9. McCann - C

Hyde may flip Hays and Mullins for righty/lefty reasons. 

36 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I’m guessing: 

1. Gunnar - SS

2. Adley - DH

3. Mountcastle - 1B

4. Santander - RF

5. Westburg - 3B

6. Mullins - CF

7. Hays - LF

8. Urias - 2B

9. McCann - C

Hyde may flip Hays and Mullins for righty/lefty reasons. 

Looks good. Last time Mateo was 0 for 2 with 2 K's vs Ragans (starting in CF), so need to give him a start. However, Urias and Westburg were flipped on defense. That would be my guess.

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Looks good. Last time Mateo was 0 for 2 with 2 K's vs Ragans (starting in CF), so need to give him a start. However, Urias and Westburg were flipped on defense. That would be my guess.

You’re right - it should be Westburg at 2B and Urias at 3B.

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

image.thumb.png.5a8927bfe1e062f460153c7af506fe0a.png

Wow, surprised we went righty-to-the-max vs Ragans.   Ragans has had reverse splits in the majors and in every year but one in the minors.   And in some of those years the reverse split was huge... lefties with very big #s off him.

I figured Holiday and O'Hearn would sit, and maybe at most ONE of Cowser/Mllins.

Just now, SteveA said:

Wow, surprised we went righty-to-the-max vs Ragans.   Ragans has had reverse splits in the majors and in every year but one in the minors.   And in some of those years the reverse split was huge... lefties with very big #s off him.

I figured Holiday and O'Hearn would sit, and maybe at most ONE of Cowser/Mllins.

Autobot Hyde

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

For as 'by the numbers' as we seem to be as a franchise now, it amazes me how sometimes they are stuck in such a lefty vs righty mindset, even when the actual numbers say otherwise, either for a particular hitter or the pitcher in question.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Career ML splits .634 vs RH and .699 vs LH.   I wouldn’t call that huge.  

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

For as 'by the numbers' as we seem to be as a franchise now, it amazes me how sometimes they are stuck in such a lefty vs righty mindset, even when the actual numbers say otherwise, either for a particular hitter or the pitcher in question.  

I have no problem with the lefty/righty mindset in general.  I think a manager who ignores it in favor of small sample size "hot hand" managing like many here want is making a huge mistake.    O'Hearn should clearly not face lefties, his career numbers are really bad.  He absolutely shouldn't be starting.   Holliday is struggling vs every one, so giving him an off day against a tough lefty makes absolute 100% sense.   

And yes, Mullins is clearly worse vs LH than RH (150 points of OPS for his career).   But I think when also take into account Ragans career splits, both in the 159 MLB innings he has and in his entire minor league career... lefties do hit him.   I would definitely have had Mullins or Cowser or even both of them in there.