Is anyone else bothered by the fact Colton Cowser is not starting vs a RHP?

Filmstudy

Not really, for the one game sample. He'll get his ABs as the first guy in whenever one of the outfielders or 1b/DH sit. But I expect Hays/Mullins/Santander + Mountcastle/O'Hearn to be the go-to to start the year, and I understand why. 

To start off the season, I think continuity on defense is important. That play Thursday when Santander made a diving catch in front of Cedric, who typically has the right of way as the CF is an example of outfielders knowing each other really really well. Looking forward to Cowser, I’m sure he’ll get plenty of time.  

I’m annoyed, but I understand it’s just one game at the beginning of the season.  Cowser is not McKenna and I hope he is not utilized as such. My dislike of today’s lineup has a lot to do with Mountcastle hitting clean up vs a right handed SP. That is what cost Cowser a spot in the lineup and Mountcastle is not a great enough hitter for me to think he should be in there every day. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong, he’s still fairly young. But last year he was abysmal vs RHP. He just isn’t the slugger we all want him to be. Watch, he’ll hit a couple home runs today because I’m whining about it. But I’d much rather see Cowser in RF, O’Hearn at 1B, and Santander at DH. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Not when it's the 2nd game of the season.

This.  If we get 8 games into the season and Cowser only has one start and 6 PA, like Stowers last year, then I’ll be a tad concerned.   

Yes but the annoying part is more about the overrating of our vets and acting like they should play everyday.

OHearn, who I like on the team, shouldn’t be starting over  Cowser although they may not want to take Cowsers glove off the table. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes but the annoying part is more about the overrating of our vets and acting like they should play everyday.

OHearn, who I like on the team, shouldn’t be starting over  Cowser although they may not want to take Cowsers glove off the table. 

O’Hearn is going to play regularly unless he shows that last year’s performance was a fluke, simple as that.   He certainly  looked good in his pinch hit at bat on Thursday, ripping a double.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It's not O'Hearn vs Cowser, it's Hays/Mountcastle vs. Cowser

• Upvote 2

I'm going to choose to wait until the team is struggling before I worry about it. There is very clearly a plan for these guys so I'm choosing to give things a month and see what that plan is and how the team is performing. This year should be about winning a pennant and a World Series. Wins are the bottom line for me in 2024. The days of worrying about the best development are over. If the org botches the wins I'll start to worry. 

• Upvote 4