Is anyone else bothered by the fact Colton Cowser is not starting vs a RHP?

Filmstudy

Not really no. Santander and O'Hearn are both better bets than Cowser right now and everyone is healthy and we're trying to win games.

Also pitcher today is reverse splits and therefore Hays and Mounty.

Edited by interloper

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

O’Hearn is going to play regularly unless he shows that last year’s performance was a fluke, simple as that.   He certainly  looked good in his pinch hit at bat on Thursday, ripping a double.

That’s fine…then when he plays, Hays or Mounty should sit.  None of those guys have earned the right to be 500+ at bat guys, especially at the detriment of a higher upside player.

Besides being the second game of the season this is also a game after an off-day, after three off-days earlier this week. So it tells me they think this starting 9 gives them the best chance to win against a righty, as of today. I don't think we can extrapolate much of anything in terms of they'll use a rest rotation to get Cowser and others in once we are into the normal schedule. 

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s fine…then when he plays, Hays or Mounty should sit.  None of those guys have earned the right to be 500+ at bat guys, especially at the detriment of a higher upside player.

Perhaps Elias and Hyde don’t share your opinion that Cowser has more upside.  I’d say the burden is on Cowser to earn his playing time, not Hays or Mountcastle.   Of course, I do want him to have an adequate opportunity to show what he can do.

1 hour ago, Filmstudy said:

I look at the lineup and think how nice it would be to have Holliday for Urias, but Cowser for Hays would also be an upgrade.  Colton needs to start getting playing time vs RHPs.

This is what worries me Cowser will only play once or twice a week get off to a cold start and ends up back in Norfolk. Any top prospect on the team needs to be seeing regular at bats or what’s the point of calling them up. 

That said this is game number two so let’s see how this plays out the next couple weeks. Here’s hoping Cowser gets in the lineup for three or four games a week. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is what worries me Cowser will only play once or twice a week get off to a cold start and ends up back in Norfolk. Any top prospect on the team needs to be seeing regular at bats or what’s the point of calling them up. 

That said this is game number two so let’s see how this plays out the next couple weeks. Here’s hoping Cowser gets in the lineup for three or four games a week. 

I will be shocked if Cowser doesn’t get significant playing time. 

I think I’ll just resolve to not open any more lineup threads for reading. Because this won’t be the last one. Maybe not the last one today LOL 

Anyway. It’s the second damn game. Just be happy the season is underway. FFS. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I will be shocked if Cowser doesn’t get significant playing time. 

I think Cowser will too this is game number two after an off day. I think we’ll being seeing Cowser play regularly over the next few weeks. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

He should be in the lineup for sure against RHP. Hays and or Mounty get a day off, he has to be in there. Otherwise, what’s the point of him being on the roster? 

You have to ask yourself, what does him not getting regular playing time do for his confidence and development? Very poor decision, IMO. 

If he’s playing once a week, rather it be Stowers that up so that Cowser could at least be in the lineup daily and get ABs at Norfolk. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

He should be in the lineup for sure against RHP. Hays and or Mounty get a day off, he has to be in there. Otherwise, what’s the point of him being on the roster? 

You have to ask yourself, what does him not getting regular playing time do for his confidence and development? Very poor decision, IMO. 

If he’s playing once a week, rather it be Stowers that up so that Cowser could at least be in the lineup daily and get ABs at Norfolk. 

He’s got a nasty CU he throws 21% of the time.  Cowser batted .000 on CU last year.  Yes I know it’s a very SSS.  Also has a good slider & curve.  Cowser was thought to be cheating on FBs that left him vulnerable to good off-speed.