Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Seriously?  I’m truly saying to trade him. 

However, if he can’t hit well as a catcher but everyone values him as the best catcher in the league and you can get a ton for him, trade him.  We didn’t draft him to be a DH and I doubt if he was a full time DH that he would hit close to a 1000 OPS anyway.

And run with a McCann/??? battery the rest of the season?

17 minutes ago, Gatoriole said:

If we want to preserve Mayo's ROY eligibility for 2025, we can probably bring him up around August 15. He has to be on the roster less than 45 days (and the season ends on September 29). We also need to keep him under 130 at bats. 

The Nationals called up James Wood.  Screw the ROY eligibility.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Seriously?  I’m not truly saying to trade him.  It was a tongue and cheek sarcastic comment.

However, if he can’t hit well as a catcher but everyone values him as the best catcher in the league and you can get a ton for him, trade him.  We didn’t draft him to be a DH and I doubt if he was a full time DH that he would hit close to a 1000 OPS anyway.

The thing is, he provides value defensively. And that’s right, just because he’s hit well as a DH doesn’t mean he’ll keep those numbers as a full time DH. 

As someone else said, likely preserving him for down the stretch. The idea that is would be a full time DH is ridiculous on its face. Either way, McCann needs to go and likely won’t, just a feeling.

On 6/27/2024 at 11:08 PM, Sports Guy said:

Adley and Gunnar played at Norfolk when the league was more pitcher friendly.  I can't say whether they'd have topped .967, but they'd both have been considerably higher than their numbers shown here.  Adley had most of his AAA time in 2021 when the league had a .743 OPS.  Gunnar was in AAA in 2022 when the league OPS was .750.  The last two years, with the ABS system being tested, the league OPS has been .794 and .772.

It’s a good thing, but Mayo is screwing up the FO plans.  Holliday was supposed to be ahead of him and Westburg wasn’t supposed to be quite so good. Now Westy is pretty entrenched on the team. If you call up Mayo, then there is no place for Holliday.  They need Santander gone to free up some space.  They really should trade Mounty in the offseason. I am just not sure they can get enough. 

4 hours ago, baltfan said:

It’s a good thing, but Mayo is screwing up the FO plans.  Holliday was supposed to be ahead of him and Westburg wasn’t supposed to be quite so good. Now Westy is pretty entrenched on the team. If you call up Mayo, then there is no place for Holliday.  They need Santander gone to free up some space.  They really should trade Mounty in the offseason. I am just not sure they can get enough. 

No problem at all.   Mayo at 3B is not a problem.   One of Mayo, Westburg, or Holliday is going to have to get an outfielders glove and start breaking it in UNLESS the team wants to just plug all 3 into a 2B-3B rotation.