Heston Kjerstad 2024

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm taking these early Norfolk numbers with a bit of a grain of salt because clearly something isn't normal there, but.... talk about beating the door down.

Charlotte is the White Sox AAA affiliate, and they were begging us for pitching, so that kinda checks out. But Durham is the Tampa affiliate, and they put up 29 runs in 3 games. Or maybe MLB is secretly testing the next juiced ball for Norfolk games. 

I'm taking these early Norfolk numbers with a bit of a grain of salt because clearly something isn't normal there, but.... talk about beating the door down.

This is nothing new.  They did all last year as well. 

• Tony-OH changed the title to Heston Kjerstad 2024

Kjerstad's start to this season is exactly why I wanted O'Hearn moved this offseason. Not only is Kjerstad potentially an impact bat at DH/RF/and fill in 1B (He's been better but not great at 1B in Norfolk) he's a better defender in RF than O'Hearn. 

Either way, I'm hoping the Orioles make room for him soon.

image.thumb.png.ce60ebb91b4388cd7177c6180b0bb4d6.png

Maybe, but like every game down there, the Tides had the vast majority of the 100 MPH EVs. They 8 of the 11 100 MPH EVs and of course, Kjerstad, Mayo, Holliday and Stowers all were once again on the list. 

It’s interesting with Kjerstad in many ways as the clamor for a call-up should be around him as much as Holiday.  There is really no AAA development left for Heston, he belongs in ML and would upgrade the major league team.   

Continue to be confused why Elias is favoring several marginal players for the major league roster, players that cost more and project worse than the major league talent at Norfolk. 

10 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

It’s interesting with Kjerstad in many ways as the clamor for a call-up should be around him as much as Holiday.  There is really no AAA development left for Heston, he belongs in ML and would upgrade the major league team.   

Continue to be confused why Elias is favoring several marginal players for the major league roster, players that cost more and project worse than the major league talent at Norfolk. 

I think it's clear that Elias values depth in AAA. The problem with that is he values it so much, that he hoards marginal players like O'Hearn, Urias and Mateo as well as major league average players like Hays, Santander and Mountcastle because he can just keep major league ready players in AAA in case they get hurt.

Basically he's think if O'Hearn can give me about what Kjerstad can give me, why not keep both? Now I think Kjerstad is showing he can give more than O'Hearn so at some point, a move will need to be made, but there is that veteranosity stand point and the fact the team is 4-2, even if it took two comeback walk off wins to make them that instead of being 2-4. 

All Kjerstad can do is exactly what he's doing. I hope they continue to give him 1B work because that could very well end up his position if Mayo improves enough to stick at 3B. 

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

This is nothing new.  They did all last year as well. 

No, not like this they didn't.  At least not all at once.  

Again it will obviously level out a bit but these numbers so far are silly.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe, but like every game down there, the Tides had the vast majority of the 100 MPH EVs. They 8 of the 11 100 MPH EVs and of course, Kjerstad, Mayo, Holliday and Stowers all were once again on the list. 

Oh I don't disagree that they're hitting the ball really hard, but these numbers obviously wont' keep up.

The thing we aren’t talking about here is the game power Kjerstad is showing.

That is something we have seen glimpses of but not much in terms of consistency.

Now obviously he won’t keep this up at this level but this is good to see and hopefully it’s a sign that his game power is back on a more consistent basis.

He hit a rope to LC and got robbed by the CF his last time up.  His other out was hit pretty hard up the middle to the SS.  He’s super relaxed and confident and finding the barrel almost every AB.   Not even close to what he looked like in ST.  Looked like he was trying to lift and pull the ball 500 feet each time.   Looking really good.  As Tony said, besides that embarrassing drop on Hollidays lob he looks more comfortable at 1B last game or two.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The thing we aren’t talking about here is the game power Kjerstad is showing.

That is something we have seen glimpses of but not much in terms of consistency.

Now obviously he won’t keep this up at this level but this is good to see and hopefully it’s a sign that his game power is back on a more consistent basis.

You don't think he's going to hit 109 home runs? 

10 Seinfeld scenes every product manager should watch | by Guy Molho | UX  Collective

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

No, not like this they didn't.  At least not all at once.  

Again it will obviously level out a bit but these numbers so far are silly.

By 4/29 last year they had already had (2) 20+ run games and a 17 run game.   On 4/29 they broke the then franchise hit record. 

Folks forget they had Westburg, Ortiz, Cowser, Stowers, Norby & Prieto.  They were a juggernaut.  The line-up was just as potent. 

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

By 4/29 last year they had already had (2) 20+ run games and a 17 run game.   On 4/29 they broke the then franchise hit record. 

Folks forget they had Westburg, Ortiz, Cowser, Stowers, Norby & Prieto.  They were a juggernaut.  The line-up was just as potent. 

Maybe, but maybe because it’s the first 6 games, we  never had a group of hitters putting up video numbers at any point.   That was a great lineup too but the current numbers JUMP at you.