Heston Kjerstad 2024

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

He can only play RF or DH.  

Among players with 40+ PAs, Ryan O’Hearn leads the league in xwOBA at .531. He has a .950 OPS with .260 BABIP.  Despite not playing against lefties, I can’t see them decreasing O’Hearn’s role.  Adley often takes the DH spot vs lefties.

I’m not sure if Elias/Hyde are fully comfortable yet with Kjerstad in RF.  He may be a downgrade from Tony defensively. Tony has struggled at the plate so far but he’s a streaky hitter that will be close to .800 OPS and 30 HRs when the season is over. It’s not a sure thing that we get better production from Kjerstad the rest of the way.  Replacing Tony with Kjerstad also makes us our lineup very lefty heavy.

I don’t think Kjerstad is a massive upgrade from what we currently have in those spots given what we’ve seen in terms of MLB adjustment periods. Now maybe we can trade Tony or O’Hearn for a key piece while replacing most of their production.  However, it’s not clear what their trade value is in terms of MLB players - they will only be if interest to win-now teams who are unlikely to move top quality pitching. 

If moving Tony or letting him walk and replacing him with Kjerstad opens up the financial flexibility to extend some of our core (or Burns) or acquire a top SP in FA / trade deadline salary dump, then I'm all for making that swap.

Edited by bluedog

1 hour ago, bluedog said:

If moving Tony or letting him walk and replacing him with Kjerstad opens up the financial flexibility to extend some of our core (or Burns) or acquire a top SP in FA / trade deadline salary dump, then I'm all for making that swap.

1.  Letting him walk.  This is the most likely scenario.  Replacing his 14M salary with someone making the minimum hardly seems to significantly impact extending Burns or even any of our young core, or sign a top FA pitcher.  They will or they won’t regardless of the savings.

2. Moving Santander in season seems unlikely but that could have some affect towards adding salary at the deadline.

On 4/11/2024 at 11:45 AM, interloper said:

Unfortunately watching him on defense is the opposite. Cost Means a run there with a catchable, if slightly wind-aided, ball that he kind of gave up on and it fell into RF. Tony would have had it for sure. I've seen a few balls like this where Heston seems hesitant to attempt a dive or sliding catch. 

It happened again tonight in LF, pulled up on a ball that was catchable.  It happens way too often.  

1 hour ago, HuskerFan said:

It happened again tonight in LF, pulled up on a ball that was catchable.  It happens way too often.  

Disheartening to hear that his offense is poor in the outfield, especially that there seems an element of lack of effort or possibly fear of getting hurt with all his injuries.  What is holding him back from being able to play an adequate 1B?  It seems like that would be his more natural position than even RF.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Disheartening to hear that his offense is poor in the outfield, especially that there seems an element of lack of effort or possibly fear of getting hurt with all his injuries.  What is holding him back from being able to play an adequate 1B?  It seems like that would be his more natural position than even RF.

Coby Mayo?

Jacksonville play by play guy just called out Heston in the 6th.  Double off the wall against McDermott and Heston pulled up like it was a homer or foul.  It was a legit double as I didn't think he could've caught it but just pulling up like he did isn't a good look.  

He had a wanky throw earlier in the game that allowed a run.

Mayo dropped a routine pop fly in the 6th with 2 outs and Jacksonville takes advantage by scoring 3 unearned. 

14 hours ago, HuskerFan said:

Jacksonville play by play guy just called out Heston in the 6th.  Double off the wall against McDermott and Heston pulled up like it was a homer or foul.  It was a legit double as I didn't think he could've caught it but just pulling up like he did isn't a good look.  

He had a wanky throw earlier in the game that allowed a run.

Mayo dropped a routine pop fly in the 6th with 2 outs and Jacksonville takes advantage by scoring 3 unearned. 

The ball was 50 feet away from Kjerstad in the corner.  He did coast a little.  Not sure if he expected it to land foul or was afraid of some tricky carom but he could have gone harder for it.  He did go full speed once it landed but he never, ever, had a chance to come within 20 feet of it.  

Tough inning for McDermott.  Routine fly out to CF. Routine popup that the 3B misplays.  Routine popup that Mayo misplays.   Strikeout.   Then a hit, walk and double.  Then he gets the 5th out.

4 hours ago, btdart20 said:

https://pitcherlist.com/the-stash-list-week-4-top-10-hitting-prospects-to-stash-in-2024/

I debated about where to post this because it's relevant in a few discussions.  But landed here because HK is tops.  Mayo and Norby make appearances as well.

Caveat emptor as it's a fantasy list...

I'd be careful with this particular list, this list from a few weeks prior was discussing how Holliday would replace Gunnar at short when called up. Everyone knew long ago he was going to play 2nd and Gunnar has been considered the better defensive option for a long time now. This forum is far better for any orioles information than any aggregator website. It's difficult to follow 30 teams closely.  

1 minute ago, capyy said:

I'd be careful with this particular list, this list from a few weeks prior was discussing how Holliday would replace Gunnar at short when called up. Everyone knew long ago he was going to play 2nd and Gunnar has been considered the better defensive option for a long time now. This forum is far better for any orioles information than any aggregator website. It's difficult to follow 30 teams closely.  

here it is, makes you wonder how sound the information is on the other teams:

https://pitcherlist.com/the-stash-list-week-2-top-10-hitting-prospects-to-stash-in-2024/

"

Like Holliday and Kjerstad, Mayo could be an MLB contributor right now if he wasn’t on the Orioles. The O’s #3 prospect is ready for the big leagues but finds himself blocked by solid MLB options on Baltimore’s roster. The impending promotion of Jackson Holliday only makes Mayo’s situation more unclear. When Holliday gets the call, All-Star Gunnar Henderson likely moves to the hot corner. Mayo doesn’t have the defensive versatility to plug into any spot on the infield, so being blocked by Henderson limits his immediate fantasy value.

"'