Colton Cowser 2024

Back to Cowser.  That was a pretty terrible play by him in the 10th inning on Rooker’s double.  It seemed to take him a long time to get to the ball and then that throw was just a wild fling to nowheresville.  If he hits Gunnar crisply with a good throw, Langolier is probably out at the plate in my opinion.   

Also, while I can see Mason Miller is very tough to hit, I wasn’t too pleased with Cowser failing to advance the zombie runner from 2B in the bottom of the 10th and nobody out.  He let strike 3 right over the middle of the plate go by for strike 3, his third strikeout of the night.  

Cowser has cooled off a bit of late, .200/.314/.400 in his last ten games, with 15 K’s in 35 PA.  Hopefully he snaps back soon.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Back to Cowser.  That was a pretty terrible play by him in the 10th inning on Rooker’s double.  It seemed to take him a long time to get to the ball and then that throw was just a wild fling to nowheresville.  If he hits Gunnar crisply with a good throw, Langolier is probably out at the plate in my opinion.   

Also, while I can see Mason Miller is very tough to hit, I wasn’t too pleased with Cowser failing to advance the zombie runner from 2B in the bottom of the 10th and nobody out.  He let strike 3 right over the middle of the plate go by for strike 3, his third strikeout of the night.  

Cowser has cooled off a bit of late, .200/.314/.400 in his last ten games, with 15 K’s in 35 PA.  Hopefully he snaps back soon.  

Agree on the defensive play and Cowser has cooled off.  However, after fouling off a couple of 100 mph fastballs and getting brushed back by another I’m not going to fault him for getting frozen on a slider that probably looked like a fastball up and away halfway to home plate.   Gunnar guessed fastball, got center cut fastballs, and couldn’t make any contact.   Mason Miller might be bettter than The Mountain and I say that as the highest possible compliment.   I was surprised Miller was used on consecutive days when he had at least 2 days of rest for every other appearance.  I don’t think they were using him unless they got the lead.   

Cowser’s missed cutoff man and McKenna not doing the one thing that justifies him being on the team, along with Kimbrel looking like he was over throwing did us in.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was a very poor defensive play by Cowser. He took a bad angle to the ball that made him late getting to the ball. But the biggest issue is that he totally "panicked" and airmailed a throw that basically overthrew both Cowser and Westberg, eventually weakly one-hopping to Urias who had no chance at the runner at that point. Cowser has never been known for taking great routes and last night it ended up hurting the team.

Obviously Cowser had a game he'd like to forget last night and yes, he's cooled off at the plate as the opposition is working breaking balls away from him right now and he's not made any adjustments. 

Can't get too upset with him over his at bat against Miller last night as he did foul off several 101-102 MPH fastballs and Miller is that good. Sure, we all wanted him to get that runner over, but if it were easy, he would have done so. Most batters nowadays are taught about doing damage, and not about having "quality at bats" like moving runners over. If he did just try to move him over, it's not like its very easy to do against Miller's stuff.

I've noticed that a couple times instead of taking chances on running in and attempting a shoestring type catch, Cowser just lets the ball drop in for a hit. It's like he doesn't have the confidence to try a running/diving type catch. So far, it appears that he is not a plus outfielder. 

5 hours ago, Natty said:

I've noticed that a couple times instead of taking chances on running in and attempting a shoestring type catch, Cowser just lets the ball drop in for a hit. It's like he doesn't have the confidence to try a running/diving type catch. So far, it appears that he is not a plus outfielder. 

Though I criticized that play last night, overall he’s looked good in the field this year.  3 of the 4 defensive metrics I look at have him in positive territory: 2 OAA, 1.3 UZR, 1 Rdrs, -2 Rtot.  He’s faster than Hays and covers more ground.  Hays catches anything within diving range and has great body control, but many of those balls he dives for would be caught without diving by a faster outfielder or one who gets better jumps.  Not that I’m complaining about Hays, who was a deserving Gold Glove nominee last year.  

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Though I criticized that play last night, overall he’s looked good in the field this year.  3 of the 4 defensive metrics I look at have him in positive territory: 2 OAA, 1.3 UZR, 1 Rdrs, -2 Rtot.  He’s faster than Hays and covers more ground.  Hays catches anything within diving range and has great body control, but many of those balls he dives for would be caught without diving by a faster outfielder or one who gets better jumps.  Not that I’m complaining about Hays, who was a deserving Gold Glove nominee last year.  

Cant have 'glass man' Hays diving for the ball. His most recent injury was just from rounding first on a hit and going back to the base.

On 4/27/2024 at 4:06 PM, Roy Firestone said:

Cowser and Moutcastle have cooled off...both strike out a lot lately

Cowser has cooled off.  Mountcastle actually has been very steady.  

On 4/27/2024 at 9:17 AM, Frobby said:

Part of that cooling off is that he’s been playing against LHP. .1.100 OPS vs RHP, .770 OPS vs LHP. .770 is still good though. 

One thing to consider going forward… Cowser, Holliday, Heston, and even Gunnar, can rack up some Ks. We might have games where we score 15 runs but strike out 15 times the next day. 

SSS alert but Cowser’s OAA is an outstanding +3 early on…94 percentile.

The defense in LF looks legit, so even if he’s slumping at the plate (which he will because he does have a good bit of swing and miss in his game), he should help in the field.  The arm is legit, he had good sprint and in game speed, so he will help in a lot of ways. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The defense in LF looks legit, so even if he’s slumping at the plate (which he will because he does have a good bit of swing and miss in his game), he should help in the field.  The arm is legit, he had good sprint and in game speed, so he will help in a lot of ways. 

I have a difficult time putting much stock into a defensive metric that has Cowser as +3 fielding value and Mountcastle -2.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He had a good play in the 9th back in the LF nook/corner on the drive off Coulombe.  

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Needs to hit the cutoff man. Other than that, I thnk he's been pretty damn good.