Colton Cowser 2024

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

This is what he did at Norfolk.  He did seem a little more passive tonight.   Swing and swing early.

Yeah I recall him routinely having amazing games and mixing in some complete duds at Norfolk. Hopefully he gets right back on the horse because last night looked a little worryingly like his 2023 ABs. Sort of had a feeling he was due for one of these. 

Cowser got a steady diet of breaking balls just under the zone last night, he was pitched to pretty well. He’s got a great eye for pitches off the plate and seems like he can cover the top of the zone well enough (although he has some whiff there too), but he looked pretty helpless on the low breaking pitches over the plate.

Cowser and Westburg have very similar Statcast pages in that it’s a lot of red, they are clobbering the ball, but then have quite poor whiff rates. It’s a great development for both of them that they’re tapping into power that neither displayed at the MLB level last year, but there’s there’s going to still be some ups and downs with both of them of adjustments and counter adjustments to their scouting reports and opposing pitchers’ gameplans.

I expect that both are going to settle in as above average hitters that capitalize on hitting mistakes, but have some clear holes in their game that can be consistently exploited when the pitcher executes.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He does come up with the bases loaded at least once a game but I bet he’s got 3-4 strikeouts in such situations already.

Just a statement of how good this lineup is. Cowser will have a lot of RBI opportunities. With all the “starters” starting and Adley at Catcher, our 6-7-8-9 is Cowser, Mullins, Westburg, and Holliday. 

Also, the league is tough and I’m sure they will adjust to whatever has been working for Cowser so far. 

13 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Cowser got a steady diet of breaking balls just under the zone last night, he was pitched to pretty well. He’s got a great eye for pitches off the plate and seems like he can cover the top of the zone well enough (although he has some whiff there too), but he looked pretty helpless on the low breaking pitches over the plate.

Cowser and Westburg have very similar Statcast pages in that it’s a lot of red, they are clobbering the ball, but then have quite poor whiff rates. It’s a great development for both of them that they’re tapping into power that neither displayed at the MLB level last year, but there’s there’s going to still be some ups and downs with both of them of adjustments and counter adjustments to their scouting reports and opposing pitchers’ gameplans.

I expect that both are going to settle in as above average hitters that capitalize on hitting mistakes, but have some clear holes in their game that can be consistently exploited when the pitcher executes.

Westburg’s whiff rate is high but his strikeout rate is only 18% so it looks like he has a better approach with two strikes.

Cowser has a beautiful swing but it’s like he tries to keep it level on low pitches instead of using the Tony Taters approach of letting the bat head go into golf mode.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just a statement of how good this lineup is. Cowser will have a lot of RBI opportunities. With all the “starters” starting and Adley at Catcher, our 6-7-8-9 is Cowser, Mullins, Westburg, and Holliday. 

Also, the league is tough and I’m sure they will adjust to whatever has been working for Cowser so far. 

Yup. They'll adjust to him, he'll stink for a few games, he'll figure them out then back to being Stan Musial for Cowser!

9 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

To me it seems they’re both dialed in and swinging at more pitches because of that. It’s a logical approach when you’re mashing the ball like these two. As they start to make more outs, they should become more selective. I do have some concern with Cowser’s K rate, as he’s always struggled with that. 

Good observation about the breaking pitches over the plate but falling below the knees. I hope it’s an adjustment they can make. I’m sure MLB breaking pitches drop more than what you see in the minors.