Brandon Hyde 2024

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is there research on that?   Offhand, I’d guess that throwing 60 innings in 80 appearances is more stressful on a pitcher than throwing 60 innings in 60 appearances, but I don’t know if there’s evidence supporting that.

I think it all depends on the stress level of the innings as well.  It seems this organization looks more at pitches thrown too compared to innings.  Most of the relievers are not gonna throw more then 20 pitches except the long an and he is at maybe 50 pitches.  It doesn’t help Hyde that he usually has to have another guy warming as soon as the other guy comes in because you never know what that pitcher will do.  Buck always talked about not wanting bullpen guys dry humping but that is lot easier when you had O’Day, Brach, and Britton you pretty much knew they could come in and would get job done facing 3 or 4 hitters on 15-20 pitches.  

At his disposal, last night Hyde had:

Akin, Cano, Dominguez, Kimbrel, Perez, Smith, Soto, and Baker.

The previous nigth I believe he used, Smith, Perez, and Cano. 

Baker has been optioned today for Povich which shortens the pen.

In the above pen, three are recent or fairly recent additions. As a whole, to me, far from the strongest Oriole pen I've ever seen and not one I'd label as World Series worthy. 

Kimbrel probably makes more than the rest together. Just saying. 

Hyde ain't perfect but boy I'd hate to have to manage that pen and then be evaluated by some of the experts on here! 😀 

I would have pinch hit Jimenez for Urias in the 7th tonight, but Urias wound up getting a swinging bunt hit, so no harm done.  

I was surprised that Povich came out for the 7th, and very surprised that he faced Casas again, who had hit the ball hard twice off Povich.  I would have gone with Cano to start the inning, although Cano was so poor tonight that the outcome might have been the same (perhaps Cano would have been better warmed up had Hyde intended to have him start the 7th?)  

I don't understand why Mullins hit against the lefty Bernardino. I thought Austin Slater was here to be our  outfielder who can hit lefties. Hyde clearly likes Slater a lot, so I'm not sure what kept him on the bench.

• Upvote 2

Hard to complain about any moves Hyde made tonight when offense could only score 1 run and that was a HR by Gunnar.  Failed multiple time w/ RISP.  Big surprise.  Cano choked in a big moment.  I mean if Hyde can't trust Cano, who is he supposed to trust, and don't say Povich who was looking shaky and had never pitched in the 7th.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

I don't understand why Mullins hit against the lefty Bernardino. I thought Austin Slater was here to be our  outfielder who can hit lefties. Hyde clearly likes Slater a lot, so I'm not sure what kept him on the bench.

I try not to vent about managerial decisions because some work, some don’t. And I think Hyde gets a lot of unwarranted criticism here sometimes.

but letting Mullins hit in a 2 run game in the 7th with no outs and a man on base already was awful. It was a guaranteed out, best case scenario was he walks or maybe advances the runner with a weak grounder. The more likely scenario is he strikes out or pops out which of course he did. It also went against how Hyde has managed R/L matchups all year. As we all know he’s quick to make that change with guys even earlier than the 7th. We really botched that one.

7 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Yea it doesn’t make sense. You traded for the guy for that specific reason and then you don’t use him.

Mateo, Westburg, Wells, Means, Bradish, Grod, Webb, Colombe, Mountain ..........

However this year turns out, it will be cast to me as the one year in 70 that I have listened to/watched Oriole baseball and EVER seen these many losses of top players to injuries during the same season for significant times. IF, we still make the playoffs and go beyond, IMO Hyde should be named Manager of The Year For Life - not just for 2023. I may have orange-colored glasses on or whatever you want to call me, but that is why I refuse to peck on him one game at a time. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Tonight showed off part of Hyde's bullpen management that I don't like--he won't let his relievers throw more than one inning, even if their pitch count is low.   In a tie game where Hyde had already used two previous relievers, Gregory Soto only needed 10 pitches to get through the sixth--yet Hyde replaced him in the seventh, with another lefty.   Then when Perez struggled, Cano only needed 8 pitches to get out of the seventh--yet Hyde replaced him in the eighth, with Kimbrel.  Who promptly gave up two runs, one that followed a stolen base.   

This game was a war of attrition, and Hyde needed to be willing to let Soto and Cano get more outs.  Kimbrel might have had to come in eventually (in extra innings), but he should not be trusted to come into a tie game in the eighth inning if there are other options.  

Glad folks are coming around on this.  This is an issue that has been brought up several times.  Unfortunately this is not a new thing, and aside from the head scratching use of Bowman the other day, I don't see it changing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LGOrioles said:

Great call by Hyde to throw Kimbrel in the 8th. Hey, nothing is his fault though. No questioning sir Brandon.

If Elias doesn't want Kimbrel used, he shouldn't be here. What is he, a Rule 5 pick we're trying to hide on the roster?