Brandon Hyde 2024

9 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

They are still “grinding”. I am sure that is what will be said when we drop a couple of games to the WS this next week. No the managing and players are just lousy and have been lousy for months now.

1 good thing about no longer having MASN is no longer having to endure Hyde's same tired excuses after every winnable game like this.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Great call by Hyde to throw Kimbrel in the 8th. Hey, nothing is his fault though. No questioning sir Brandon.

Yea because he had so many options…and to be fair to Kimbrel, there was a bs double, an awful defensive play and a bad luck IF GO. 1 legit hit and they get 2 runs off of it.

12 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

The biggest flag is the velocity drop.  He started the season 95-96 and was throwing 91 tonight.  But the most infuriating thing is the in ability to hold runners.  It is just beyond embarrassing when literally every team is turning a single or walk into a double. And a double into a triple.  I've never seen anything like it.

A walk is a double 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

If Elias doesn't want Kimbrel used, he shouldn't be here. What is he, a Rule 5 pick we're trying to hide on the roster?

Idk maybe just don’t use a guy with a 7 ERA in the 2nd half, in the 8th inning of a tied game. That doesn’t seem like rocket science though. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea because he had so many options…and to be fair to Kimbrel, there was a bs double, an awful defensive play and a bad luck IF GO. 1 legit hit and they get 2 runs off of it.

He had tons of options.  Number 1 being don't burn through all your relievers by only letting them throw 6-10 pitches before changing to another one.  Everyone but Perez should/could have gone longer.  

Edited by forphase1
Spelling
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Akin is their long man and arguably best reliever. Cano is unquestionably one of their 2 or 3 best relievers. He let them throw a combined 1.1 IP and 30 pitches. That’s just poor bullpen management. Cano easily could have been pitching in the 8th instead of Kimbrel. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

He pitched Akin, Smith, and Cano a combined 2.1 IP. That’s completely idiotic. 

Fair enough.   Akin came into a 1 out, man on 1B, let the inherited runner score and then one of his own.  If he comes out for the next inning and gives up runs I guarantee someone says “didn’t Hyde see that Akin didn’t have it tonight.   Anyone complaining about using Gregory Soto tonight?   Of course not because he had a scoreless inning.    

Kimbrel had two scoreless appearances before this.   They’re trying to get him back on track.   Didn’t work and I can see the reasoning for using any of Smith, Akin, or Cano for another inning.   Of course, if Kimbrel gets through the 8th, it doesn’t get as much attention.    

Smith has had a recent run of giving up home runs.   Guarantee you, if he gave one up tonight someone would be complaining why he was used in a tight game instead of arguing that he could have pitched more.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Yes, not upgrading the pen in the offseason was the biggest mistake by Elias.  It was a clear and obvious need and now especially with the injuries, he's just throwing darts at the dart board trying to keep this thing together.  

The loss of Bautista is a major blow and and the bullpen needed at least two additions to make up for his loss this year.  While I give the team credit for signing Kimbrel and spending the money it's not surprising to see him struggle. The signs have been there for a couple years now with Kimbrel.

Get some quality arms who can pitch going forward over the closer with the long and distinguished resume. I care more about the win rule than the save rule.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

One of the bad plays was his own...failing to cut off the throw.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Fair enough.   Akin came into a 1 out, man on 1B, let the inherited runner score and then one of his own.  If he comes out for the next inning and gives up runs I guarantee someone says “didn’t Hyde see that Akin didn’t have it tonight.   Anyone complaining about using Gregory Soto tonight?   Of course not because he had a scoreless inning.    

Kimbrel had two scoreless appearances before this.   They’re trying to get him back on track.   Didn’t work and I can see the reasoning for using any of Smith, Akin, or Cano for another inning.   Of course, if Kimbrel gets through the 8th, it doesn’t get as much attention.    

Smith has had a recent run of giving up home runs.   Guarantee you, if he gave one up tonight someone would be complaining why he was used in a tight game instead of arguing that he could have pitched more.   

In my opinion, Akin is one of their best relievers and also the guy that can give them the most length. He probably could have gone longer, but 22 pitches is okay I guess.

But to only have him go 22 pitches and then only have Cano throw 8 pitches before pitching Kimbrel just seems… dumb. Both of them could have gone longer but instead, you go with the guy who has been your worst reliever the last 2 months in the 8th inning of a tied game and he blows the game. I would understand if he was the last resort, but he should not have been if the bullpen was used properly. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

He had tons of options.  Number 1 being don't burn through all your relievers by only letting them throw 6-10 pitches before changing to another one.  Everyone but Perez should/could have gone longer.  

That’s fine but at that point, what was done was done. Kimbrel had pitched better and there was zero wrong with using him there.

If you want to get on him from what he did prior to Kimbrel, that’s fine but the fact is when Kimbrel was brought in, the options were limited.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Two quick things.  As to the bolded 'they are trying to get him back on track', I get it, but we aren't in a position where we can gamble wins and loses in an attempt to make Kimbrel right himself.  With the way we are playing right now, there are many games where we are down and out where Kimbrel can continue to show he's turned a corner.  But in a tied game in the 8th where the Yankees already lost and we can gain a game on them, I'm not sure that's the right time to help Kimbrel find himself.

Second, sure, results matter and gets talked about.  But Hyde is paid, and paid well, to make the moves that get the right results.  Tonight he screwed up by pulling pitchers who were pitching decently too soon (all but Perez could have gone another batter or two) and by letting Kimbrel pitch in such an important spot.  Sure, if they worked we wouldn't be talking about it like this.  But they didn't work.  And it was reasonable to Hyde to KNOW it wouldn't work as Kimbrel has been poor, notwithstanding the past 2 decent appearances.  Talk about a SSS!  I'd need to see a bit more control and positive innings out of Kimbrel before I'd put him in a critical situation like that, unless I had pretty much zero other options.  Hype put himself in this corner though by blowing through the bullpen earlier.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s fine but at that point, what was done was done. Kimbrel had pitched better and there was zero wrong with using him there.

If you want to get on him from what he did prior to Kimbrel, that’s fine but the fact is when Kimbrel was brought in, the options were limited.

Agree to disagree.  Kimbrel had 2 previous good outings, but that's not nearly enough 'proof' that he's pitching better to put him in that situation.  Kimbrel should only be pitching in mop up duties for now.  And yes, at that point the options were limited, but again that's also on Hyde.  He should have never painted himself into a corner where he felt like bringing Kimbrel in the situation was the right/only move he had.  Maybe we lose anyway as the offense sure didn't do anything in the 9th.  But Hyde was a large contributor to this lose by his bullpen mismanagement.