Holliday called up!

jcaponio

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

My read: Kemp bought Elias an extra two weeks to give Holliday AAA reps and get a look at the ROY race. With Texas boys off to a slow start Elias decided to pull the trigger. Yes, "need to hit lefties" was GM speak just as much as "strong chance at opening day roster." At the end of the day he made the right move, and what he says doesn't matter.

This is the post that makes the most sense to me (barring any injury that we don't know about yet).

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well when the reasons he was sent down for a few weeks don’t seem to make sense in the first place, I dunno.  They said he needs to work on hitting lefties better and he got 12 PAs against them. That doesn’t seem to be a lot to improve upon. 

Him coming up with 142 PAs in AAA is unprecedented for this Org.  He only had 91 coming into the season.  I think the additional 51 just made the FO sleep a little better going against what they’ve stated as important to them (mastering each level especially AAA).  

Last year in AAA he was .267 / .396 / .400

Decent, but not exactly mastering the competition.  He blew that out of the water this year.  

Edited by emmett16

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Actually this isj't anything unusual for many of the players they brought up. DL Hall, Grayson Rodriguez, Tarrin Vavra, Yusniel Diaz, and Gunnar Henderson all had MLB debuts on the road in the last 2 seasons. The only one I can remember that had a home game debut in their call up was Westburg. All the others I previously mentioned debut in Texas, and DL Hall appeared on the road in Tampa.

Adley debuted at home. 

You make some good points but you’re kind of stretching on Yusniel Diaz compared to Gunnar/Holliday. 

Gunnar was brought up, IIRC, when we had an outside chance at a wild card spot, so debuting him on the road made sense. Time was kind of in the essence if you believe that Elias wanted that WC spot. 

That said, I think we as fans overrate debuting prospects at home a little bit.  It’s nice when it happens but I’m sure Holliday is gonna get a nice ovation when he makes his Camden Yards debut. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Adley debuted at home. 

You make some good points but you’re kind of stretching on Yusniel Diaz compared to Gunnar/Holliday. 

Gunnar was brought up, IIRC, when we had an outside chance at a wild card spot, so debuting him on the road made sense. Time was kind of in the essence if you believe that Elias wanted that WC spot. 

That said, I think we as fans overrate debuting prospects at home a little bit.  It’s nice when it happens but I’m sure Holliday is gonna get a nice ovation when he makes his Camden Yards debut. 

That Hall callup was wonky.

I wouldn't pay any attention to that.

9 minutes ago, capyy said:

That's a good point in my opinion - those guys starting slow changes the odds on that draft pick. now maybe holliday misses the toughest 30 PA of the season, avoids those weighing down his season #s. 

Somewhere I can picture an image of Sig doing rocket science calculations on the odds of Holiday winning Rookie of the Year.

Sig was an actual rocket scientist for NASA, after all.

17 minutes ago, capyy said:

everyone knows this - whats your point? 

i was just saying its safe to assume elias and co has a good reason for what they did, even if we don't get it. Doesn't seem controversial. 

Just pushing back a little on the philosophy of just assuming a smart person is doing something smart, even though what they're doing doesn't seem to make sense. That might turn out to be true, but it's ok to question it. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s a small factor along with other things.  He’s had an overall good start, has done fine against lefties (who we won’t see much of the next two weeks anyway), has had some more reps at 2B, and a few of our 2B rotation guys haven’t been producing.  And it was now or never if we want a shot at the ROY draft pick.  The decision to send him down was a 51/49 type call, and the needle has moved just enough.  

Now, let’s see the kid prove they made the right decision to call him up.  

What Jackson Holliday has done in AAA this year is literally the definition of small sample size. He showed all spring he was ready offensively. Elias said he had every chance to make the team this offseason, until they cut him anyway. His father was rightfully pissed, but understood the business side of this.

So what changed? There is no way an organization that is so analytical would change a decision based on small sample size around a 50 ish PAs. Now maybe they really felt like Holliday would get off to a bad start against all those lefties the Orioles faced, and maybe he would have since AAA lefties are not major league lefties for a reason.

I think they tried to get a little too cute with the roster by sending him down when he was ready after all. He went down to AAA and beat up AAA pitching (along with just about every other hitter in Norfolk). 

Now maybe this was all about trying to get him off to a good start in his major league career, but then why sign Kemp? Why not bring him up after the off day yesterday to face the righty today? 

Why bring him up in the middle of a series? Something is just not right here. The timing doesn't make sense.

The only thing that makes any sense from a timing aspect besides Westburg being hurt, if that the sight of Kemp starting at 2B against Boston was so heinous that they had to make a move. 

Now I know Elias has more information than all of us, and perhaps this was the perfect time to balance between service requirements and ROY possibilities as some have stated, but I think they just got too cute and they might have cost themselves a win.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Him coming up with 142 PAs in AAA is unprecedented for this Org.  He only had 91 coming into the season.  I think the additional 51 just made the FO sleep a little better going against what they’ve stated as important to them (mastering each level especially AAA).  

If you let Holliday's 48 spring training PA (Adley was absent for those in 2022) also count as AAA-flavored, it gets him to within about 50 of Adley's AAA/Spring Training the year of your callup number.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Adley debuted at home. 

Maybe a little less pressure on Kid Holliday having his first games on the road.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Adley debuted at home. 

Gunnar didn’t have the same level of fan fare either.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gunnar was brought up when he'd get 125 at-bats give or take with regular play.    He woulda shoulda been up months earlier if Elias cared that much about Adley's rookie year 2022 team's competitive prospects.    Manny Machado was called up when a Club wanted to use a top player to pursue a playoff berth.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I see where you’re coming from but I’m not sure how much I buy it.  I dunno that 51 additional plate appearances should make anyone feel that a players mastered anything, it’s a small sample size in slightly larger small sample size in this case. 

But you do have to like the results. He’s mashed so far, the way you want to see the #1 player mash against minor league pitching. 

I’m stoked that he’s up and I hope he starts tomorrow night. 

• Upvote 1