Matthew Etzel 2024

RZNJ

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

First game, Fabian is in CF, Etzel starts in LF.

I’m expecting Etzel to get about 30% of his starts in CF.  I’ll be surprised if it’s as much as 50/50.

23 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I’m expecting Etzel to get about 30% of his starts in CF.  I’ll be surprised if it’s as much as 50/50.

Did Etzel pass Bradfield and make it to the majors as a CF piece first?  I'm really not sold on Bradfield making the major league club. 

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

Did Etzel pass Bradfield and make it to the majors as a CF piece first?  I'm really not sold on Bradfield making the major league club. 

No need to answer here - I didn't notice this conversation is already going in another thread. 

On 6/11/2024 at 5:16 PM, RZNJ said:

Well he's in LF once again so if it were going to be a 50/50 split, I would have expected him in CF tonight. Again, this kind of backs up my thoughts that they see him more in the corners with the ability to play CF if needed vs a centerfielder having to share the position with another CF.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well he's in LF once again so if it were going to be a 50/50 split, I would have expected him in CF tonight. Again, this kind of backs up my thoughts that they see him more in the corners with the ability to play CF if needed vs a centerfielder having to share the position with another CF.

McKenna replacement.  

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I can only think of Westburg moving as fast through the system for a college player. Some players like Adley and Joey don’t really count due to Covid year.

Cowser and Norby were drafted in 2021 and made it to Norfolk in 2022.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Etzel’s first 9 games at Bowie he hit .229/.308/.229.   Since then, in 10 games he’s hit .393/.472/.759.  Overall, he’s at .297/.387/.469.   That kind of snuck up on me!

What’s crazy to is that I thought he was some small overachiever type. I checked his player card and he’s 6’2” 211. 

What a steal.  I don’t think this is just a helium year. 

He’s up there for consideration as to who is our #4 behind the big 3. I’m making Povich ineligible a little early. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You could make a case that he’s our #4 behind the big 3. 

I don’t want to get too excited based on a ten game hot streak.  Beavers had an .894 OPS at Bowie last year, and was at .886 in May.   Since then he’s slumped, but my point is that ten games of success for Etzel  doesn’t tell you that much about how he’ll do over 90ish games.   I’m glad he’s got it going and hope it continues.