Keep v. Trade

Answerman

Okay friends...we all knew this day was coming. Our farm is producing more talent than we can employ at the MLB level. At some point, and that point may be now for a few of these guys, we have to decide which to keep and which to trade. A wonderful problem to have.

Two points we can all agree on: 1) Our window is wide open; and 2) We could use another good starter and at least one more good reliever (and nobody on the farm is banging down the door).

With that in mind, here are my thoughts on some of our top position prospects. Would love to see yours.

- Kjerstad - Keep - Santander is gone next year and he is plug and play ready. Frankly, I'd like to see him up this year.

- Norby - Trade - Nice player, but I don't see a realistic path to him being a starter in Baltimore. His value will never be higher than current.

- Stowers - Trade - Could possibly see him as a fourth OF, but he probably has more value starting for another organization. 

- Basallo - Keep - No rush to get him to Baltimore. He can replace Adley some day, or Mounty, or O'Hearn, but we have another year or two to decide.

- Mayo - Trade - I am probably on an island here, but I think Westburg is our 3B for the next six years. I'm open to trading Mounty and replacing with Mayo (personally, I think they are the same player), but doubtful we do that in what should be another playoff season. Mayo can be the feature in a deal for a very good pitcher (thinking Luzardo).

- Beavers - Trade - No room at the inn.

- Horvath - Trade - Simply in the wrong organization.

Thoughts?

Agree on Stowers because there’s no path for him.   Norby could have a role on a team with so many LH hitters.   2B/LF/RF/DH.   

@Tony-OH loves Mayo but he is arguably our best trade chip along with Basallo.    I’d at least consider it.

Now, if Bradish and Means both come back and Irvin and Wells go to the pen, there’s no way Elias is trading Mayo or Basallo for anything.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agree on Stowers because there’s no path for him.   Norby could have a role on a team with so many LH hitters.   2B/LF/RF/DH.   

@Tony-OH loves Mayo but he is arguably our best trade chip along with Basallo.    I’d at least consider it.

Now, if Bradish and Means both come back and Irvin and Wells go to the pen, there’s no way Elias is trading Mayo or Basallo for anything.

Mayo consensus is a little broader than just @Tony-OH. Pretty much all minor league outlets view him as a top-30 prospect I believe.

He may serve as our primary DH if Westburg establishes himself at 3B and Mountcastle proves too invaluable to move before the end of his arb years. RF would be interesting too.

9 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Mayo consensus is a little broader than just @Tony-OH. Pretty much all minor league outlets view him as a top-30 prospect I believe.

He may serve as our primary DH if Westburg establishes himself at 3B and Mountcastle proves too invaluable to move before the end of his arb years. RF would be interesting too.

No one is arguing that we can’t find a spot for Mayo.   We might be able to put pretty good bats at those spots and Mayo may bring the most in a trade.   

Adley, Holliday, Gunnar and Mullins-EBJ have the middle set for the run.

Even for Westburg, Basallo, Mayo, Cowser and Kjerstad may be tough to outdo on the corners in time.

I do think even if he's pretty bad, Elias being Raysian will sometimes use Coby Mayo at 3B like Tampa has used Yandy Diaz there some.    Some nights based on the matchups it will be worth the trade off.

It does seem like Westburg is establishing himself relative to Norby or Beavers as someone who will be in the starting nine, and of course we probably won't ever have a set DH.     It would be amazing to get 600 PA out of all 9 guys some season.

My thinking is that Santander and Hays are likely gone after this season.   I could also see Mountcastle being dealt if Mayo is ready.   I'd keep Kjerstad as pretty much a full-time DH, let Stowers/Norby be the Lowenstein/Roenicke of the early 80's teams in RF, Cowser in LF and keep Mullins around for another year in center, hoping that Bradfield is ready for 2026.  

Of course, all of this hinges around everyone staying healthy and continuing to produce.  

Honestly, now that Holliday is here, I don't really see anyone in the minors as untouchable, even Mayo and Basallo. My views on this have changed a few times since the offseason, so I reserve the right to change my mind again, but... 

Look - next year we will be without Burnes and Means and Bradish is still a question mark. We're going to need to keep pace with the rotations in our division. So barring an unlikely mega-deal for a FA SP, we're going to need to trade guys again. All of these guys in the OP are candidates IMO. 

Edited by interloper