Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Before today, Burnes had allowed 26 stolen bases.   Nobody else on the team had allowed more than 7.  But yeah, it’s Adley’s fault.  

Just think how many more he would have allowed if McCann wasn't his personal catcher.

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Every stolen base today was 100% on Corbin Burnes, who sucks at that aspect of the game. 

As to framing, I’m simply not seeing what you’re seeing.  

Burnes didn’t give him much chance.  

I’m just looking at the throws.  Weak. Slow. Inaccurate. 

The throwing, for me, is a secondary issue I’ve noticed. 

Watch ball 4 to Lane Thomas in 1st as an example.  He’s not bringing ball into zone consistently.  He’s just catching.  Not receiving with a purpose and intent.  

Edited by emmett16

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Before today, Burnes had allowed 26 stolen bases.   Nobody else on the team had allowed more than 7.  But yeah, it’s Adley’s fault.  

Stolen bases aside, it's rare that Burnes gives up 4 runs. Maybe 2 or 3 times all season? And 3 runs like 8-10 times. I dunno where to look for this stuff but what are the splits between Adley vs McCann on ER allowed or, even, walks allowed? I don't see Corbin being at all phased by a stolen base or which base a base runner is on, he has that much confidence in himself. The framing might be the reason why we see McCann catching him more. 

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Every stolen base today was 100% on Corbin Burnes, who sucks at that aspect of the game. 

As to framing, I’m simply not seeing what you’re seeing.  

I haven't noticed it either but Staircase seems to agree. It puts Adley at #46 in framing runs at -2. Screened by >1500 pitches that puts him at #20. Last year he was +5 and +4 in 2022. Hopefully an outlier year but something to keep an eye on.

6 minutes ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

Stolen bases aside, it's rare that Burnes gives up 4 runs. Maybe 2 or 3 times all season? And 3 runs like 8-10 times. I dunno where to look for this stuff but what are the splits between Adley vs McCann on ER allowed or, even, walks allowed? I don't see Corbin being at all phased by a stolen base or which base a base runner is on, he has that much confidence in himself. The framing might be the reason why we see McCann catching him more. 

Per Statcast, Adley is -2 framing this year, McCann is -5.   After today, Burnes has a 2.81 ERA when Adley catches (13 games), 2.40 with McCann (10 games).   Pretty trivial.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Burnes didn’t give him much chance.  

I’m just looking at the throws.  Weak. Slow. Inaccurate. 

The throwing, for me, is a secondary issue I’ve noticed. 

Watch ball 4 to Lane Thomas in 1st as an example.  He’s not bringing ball into zone consistently.  He’s just catching.  Not receiving with a purpose and intent.  

I blame the umpire for missing the correct strike zone, not the catcher framing. The umpire is supposed to watch the ball not that catcher's mitt!! 

Following up on my post from yesterday.  I spent some time looking at the statcast framing numbers. 
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catcher_framing?year=2024&team=&min=q&type=catcher&sort=4,1

That tracks with the eye test.  Adley is 44th out of 60 Catchers in framing(overall).  The AB I pointed out last night to Lane Thomas (Low pitch) is the location I’ve seen him continue to struggle with.  He just reached down and pushed the ball below the zone instead of getting under it and  bringing it into the zone.  

Digging further if you look at Zone 17 (low outside to RHB), Zone 18 (low middle), and Zone 19 (low inside RHB) you’ll see that he ranks 43rd, 53rd, & 56th in those locations.

Interestingly enough, his best zones are the ones above the strike zone.  In Zone 11(up & outside to RHB), Zone 12 (up middle), and Zone 13 (up and inside to RHB) he ranks 2nd, 4th, & 1st.  So maybe he/Orioles put more emphasis on those pitches? Maybe that’s where they are focusing on the zone?  

But with all that said, he calls the pitches & locations, he knows what they are trying to achieve, so to me there really isn’t much excuse for not putting forth a better effort on framing the low pitch locations.  

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Following up on my post from yesterday.  I spent some time looking at the statcast framing numbers. 
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catcher_framing?year=2024&team=&min=q&type=catcher&sort=4,1

That tracks with the eye test.  Adley is 44th out of 60 Catchers in framing(overall).  The AB I pointed out last night to Lane Thomas (Low pitch) is the location I’ve seen him continue to struggle with.  He just reached down and pushed the ball below the zone instead of getting under it and  bringing it into the zone.  

Digging further if you look at Zone 17 (low outside to RHB), Zone 18 (low middle), and Zone 19 (low inside RHB) you’ll see that he ranks 43rd, 53rd, & 56th in those locations.

Interestingly enough, his best zones are the ones above the strike zone.  In Zone 11(up & outside to RHB), Zone 12 (up middle), and Zone 13 (up and inside to RHB) he ranks 2nd, 4th, & 1st.  So maybe he/Orioles put more emphasis on those pitches? Maybe that’s where they are focusing on the zone?  

But with all that said, he calls the pitches & locations, he knows what they are trying to achieve, so to me there really isn’t much excuse for not putting forth a better effort on framing the low pitch locations.  

How many of our pitchers work low in the zone on a consistent basis?

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How many of our pitchers work low in the zone on a consistent basis?

Yea, that's what I've been looking at.  After seeing the #s on high in the zone it made look at it a little differently.  But like I said, he's calling the pitches so he knows where the location should be.  

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Yea, that's what I've been looking at.  After seeing the #s on high in the zone it made look at it a little differently.  But like I said, he's calling the pitches so he knows where the location should be.  

Yea I get that but if most of the pitchers are working up in the zone, it makes sense that he and the Os are putting an emphasis on the higher strike.

Now, he should be able to handle both but just makes you wonder what the team is pushing.

Hes also not catching consistently enough, so you wonder if that’s effecting him too.

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Very anecdotal opini9n here:  There's quite a bit of bad location from pitchers too.  Especially when Aldey/McCann have a knee down and leg extended.  Receiving and framing a pitch thrown that far out of the shoulders is tough.  And setting up with a leg extended might help frame low pitches but limits mobility to catch a pitch within your shoulders.  But should he set up that way calling for a mid/high pitch?

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Very anecdotal opini9n here:  There's quite a bit of bad location from pitchers too.  Especially when Aldey/McCann have a knee down and leg extended.  Receiving and framing a pitch thrown that far out of the shoulders is tough.  And setting up with a leg extended might help frame low pitches but limits mobility to catch a pitch within your shoulders.  But should he set up that way calling for a mid/high pitch?

Your first point has some credence.  If pitchers are missing by a ton, it makes his job incredibly more difficult and has to almost 'play the defensive' with framing vs. really attaching and pushing the limit of what he can steal. 

He's framing the high ones well.  He's top of the leaderboard on all the high zones.  It doesn't look like he's getting his body low enough to be consistent with the low zone locations.  That would be my complaint is that he's almost too upright.  Maybe he's nursing an injury, maybe he's banged up, maybe he's just grinding out there and conserving energy, but for the last few weeks+ it's seemed he can't get the stealable low pitch called a strike.  

There is a thread on here about playing him into that ground.  Maybe that plays into it and he's more banged up than anyone can imagine.  That's party of the gig being a catcher.  I don't want people to think I'm knocking the guy or think he stinks, but he's show he can be elite at receiving and just takes me as odd that his ability has depreciated so much so quickly. 

19 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Been waiting a while to posts this, but today was the straw that broke the camels back. 

Adley’s receiving is lazy and approaching  pathetic.  He gave so many pitches away on borderline pitches for Burnes today that should have been called strikes.  Just poor mechanics and laziness.  Thats the receiving…. 

Moving forward it’s going to be a track meet when he’s behind the plate, because he has no chance of throwing runners out.  Poor arm strength and even poorer accuracy.  

He needs to figure out a way make his defense a priority and make some fundamentally substantial changes for the better.  

I’m not impressed.  

How quickly people forget that Severino was the every day catcher not too long ago. 
Zero of the stolen bases were on him and his framing was just fine. I’m sure the umps scorecard will reflect the bad calls and missed calls. 

13 minutes ago, sevastras said:

How quickly people forget that Severino was the every day catcher not too long ago. 
Zero of the stolen bases were on him and his framing was just fine. I’m sure the umps scorecard will reflect the bad calls and missed calls. 

Catching Burnes this year:

Adley 80 ip 20 SB

McCann 63.2 ip 11 SB