Who Should Be Extension Priority #1?

Who Should Be Extension Priority #1?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Be Extension Priority #1?

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

What is with all the negative EBJ takes all of the sudden?

He's 22 in Aberdeen hitting .234 with four extra base hits.

The lack of power has always been a known issue and if the bat will play has always been a concern.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's 22 in Aberdeen hitting .234 with four extra base hits.

The lack of power has always been a known issue and if the bat will play has always been a concern.

At worst he’s a 4th outfielder. Gonna be hard to throw away the value he has defensively. 

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

At worst he’s a 4th outfielder. Gonna be hard to throw away the value he has defensively. 

I mean, no.

At worst he can't even hit enough to be a fourth outfielder.

There is a point in which the glove doesn't justify the bat.

I do think there is a pretty good chance he at least gets a shot at the majors, but the floor could have him stalling out in the minors.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, dystopia said:

What is with all the negative EBJ takes all of the sudden?

It's not really negative, it's just there was talk that he was an advanced college bat that might only need this year to breeze through the majors to put himself in line to directly replace Mullins.  With his struggles in A+ so far, that timeframe gap between Mullins, and EBJ being ready, looks to be bigger than just the 2025 season.  

Our roster is pretty stacked.  We like draft picks/prospects, but are in win now mode at the MLB level.  WS mode too.  I don't know many teams that sell off their 29/30 year old GG CF while trying to win a WS.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

21 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It's not really negative, it's just there was talk that he was an advanced college bat that might only need this year to breeze through the majors to put himself in line to directly replace Mullins.  With his struggles in A+ so far, that timeframe gap between Mullins, and EBJ being ready, looks to be bigger than just the 2025 season.  

Our roster is pretty stacked.  We like draft picks/prospects, but are in win now mode at the MLB level.  WS mode too.  I don't know many teams that sell off their 29/30 year old GG CF while trying to win a WS.  

My ideal scenario was to trade Mullins and sign Jung Hoo Lee.

When did anyone call EBJ an advanced college bat?   Cowser and Kjerstad were advanced college bats.   EBJ was drafted for his speed and defense with the hope they could develop the bat.  It’s too early to draw conclusions but it was always doubtful that he would breeze through the minors.

Having said that, no way I would extend Mullins.  @Bemorewins  hit the nail on the head.    

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

People are coming to the realization that he probably won't be an MLB caliber player

People are coming to that realization 38 games into his pro career? Seems hasty.

The idea that Bradfield was likely to be ready for the majors by the start of 2025 was always pretty ridiculous.   That said, it’s way too early to say how 2024 will go, and I don’t take “struggles” in 13 games very seriously.  I would consider it disappointing if he didn’t play well enough to get 150+ PA at Bowie this year.   It’s way too soon to know how his season will go.   

22 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

People are coming to the realization that he probably won't be an MLB caliber player

People had unrealistic expectations and now they’re disappointed over his first 54 PA.  If he hits .300 those same people will be penciling him into CF OD 2025.

Cowser and Norby pretty much sucked their first month or two at Aberdeen.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

People had unrealistic expectations and now they’re disappointed over his first 54 PA.  If he hits .300 those same people will be penciling him into CF OD 2025.

Cowser and Norby pretty much sucked their first month or two at Aberdeen.

Wasn't Aberdeen where bats went to die last year? Or at least slow down a bit?