Would you trade Kjerstad for an elite controlled reliever?

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I would agree with this. Not much trading happens this time of year and the Orioles are 14-7, so no reason to make a trade, but I do think those kinds of guys have to be on the table at the trading deadline. the problem is team are going to try and hold out for a Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo type.

I think the O's system is deep enough that they should be able to trade for a good reliever without trading one of the top 3 (not including Jackson Holliday) if they go for a rental or someone with less than two years until FA.  But even if that's true are the O's prepared to trade Bradfield or Povich for a rental?  I doubt it.  

I doubt the Padres would trade him if even they are out of it this season, but could the O's trade for Dylan Cease without giving up one of Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo, Bradfield or Povich?  I think it would be difficult since the Padres have Cease all next season too.  I think the O's could offer Norby, Stowers, McDermott + and see who and how far they can get.

Maybe the O's could get an elite reliever without giving up one of those 5 guys, but I think it would only be a rental.  Otherwise I think it would be someone useful who is not "elite".

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Mason Miller just threw 3 sliders for strikes to Volpe and then struck him out on a 102.5 mph fastball.   

Mason Miller would be a great target except it's hard to see why the A's would trade him.  I don't think he's a free agent for the next 4 or 5 years, plus the A's are playing pretty far above expectations.  I think it would have to be a pretty obvious overpay to get him, but maybe the O's have enough to overpay.  

26 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Mason Miller would be a great target except it's hard to see why the A's would trade him.  I don't think he's a free agent for the next 4 or 5 years, plus the A's are playing pretty far above expectations.  I think it would have to be a pretty obvious overpay to get him, but maybe the O's have enough to overpay.  

Probably an overpay.  He has 6 years including this one.

He looks elite though.  A difference making arm.  The question would be can he stay healthy and how often can you use him and how elite he’d be if you used him more.

Edited by RZNJ

No need to trade Kjerstad.  O’s need to go after a failed starter with a good arm who won’t cost as much as a Miller.  I mentioned Louie Varland previously.   There are pitchers who suck as starters who become elite relievers.   

Thinking outside the box.  We technically have 7 starters and Suarez is almost definitely going to the bullpen.   He has the stuff and control to be a high leverage guy.   Irvin or Means could go to the bullpen and no one would consider them high leverage.  But, what if both were in the rotation and they asked Kremer to be co-closer high leverage guy.   He touches 96-97 as a starter and he’s got a developing split.   I can’t imagine Kremer would be too happy about that and it has almost zero chance of happening but it’s something to think about.

19 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I was thinking about posting a thread about Kjerstad specifically.

What is his role exactly on the current roster?

He doesn’t have one.  I think he hurt himself that first game. He looked over anxious and swung at way too many pitches.

He has been hot and dominating AAA.  The Os should have gotten him into the lineup more so right off the bat to see if you could take advantage of his hot start.

They didn’t and now he sits. He is tied to Santander and OHearn. They won’t play him vs lefties even though he hits them well and they won’t sit either of those guys vs righties.

He also can’t play LF (at least at OPaCY), so there isn’t any sitting Cowser or moving Cowser to CF and resting Mullins.

So, I don’t see a role. 

There could and should be one but there’s not one.

Kjerstad wouldn't even be enough for Miller at this point.  That dude is a stud and is team controlled for 6 years.  It would probably take Basallo or Mayo at this point.  Lets not underestimate the return of Bradish and Means.  Bradish finished 3rd in the Cy voting last year.  Means could be a very special weapon out of the pen that can go 1+ IP.  Suarez will go to the bullpen as well.  Wells is a bullpen option as well, and an optionable option.  

Things will work themselves out and every contender in baseball will want a Mason Miller at the deadline.  Let's see what this can do.

Burnes, GR, Bradish, Kremer, Irvin

R - Kimbrel, Cano, Suarez, Webb, Wells/Tate

L - Coloumbe, Means, Akin/Perez

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He doesn’t have one.  I think he hurt himself that first game. He looked over anxious and swung at way too many pitches.

He has been hot and dominating AAA.  The Os should have gotten him into the lineup more so right off the bat to see if you could take advantage of his hot start.

They didn’t and now he sits. He is tied to Santander and OHearn. They won’t play him vs lefties even though he hits them well and they won’t sit either of those guys vs righties.

He also can’t play LF (at least at OPaCY), so there isn’t any sitting Cowser or moving Cowser to CF and resting Mullins.

So, I don’t see a role. 

There could and should be one but there’s not one.

To me this is the one flaw that has irritated me the most about our otherwise stellar front office.  I cannot stand it when they bring up a highly regarded prospect and sit them on the bench.  If their isn't a roll for them where they would be playing 4 plus times a week then leave them in the minors and bring up some body that can get a cup of coffee and say he got to play in the major leagues.  Either that or just have that 30 year old who has failed at every opportunity in the bigs come up and just stay out of the way since they likely aren't going to play anyways.