Would you trade Kjerstad for an elite controlled reliever?

41 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think Pittsburgh would turn down that offer.  Skenes seems like one of those generational talents.

That’s why I said Holliday plus.  I wouldn’t do Holliday plus Kjerstad.  But I would do Holliday plus.  The way I look at it is if the Orioles had the first pick at the beginning of the season and they could choose between Skenes and Holliday, I would want Skenes. 

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

That’s why I said Holliday plus.  I wouldn’t do Holliday plus Kjerstad.  But I would do Holliday plus.  The way I look at it is if the Orioles had the first pick at the beginning of the season and they could choose between Skenes and Holliday, I would want Skenes. 

Skenes, like other power pitchers, will need TJ at some point. Keep this is mind any time you want to do a position player for pitcher swap.

Did most people miss the words elite and controlled in the title? Surprised at how easily so many people said no, when I thought the bullpen was a consensus weakness of this team.

I like Kjerstad too and you don't trade him for just anyone. But if you can get a difference making 8th/9th inning guy, who isn't a rental, that seems worth considering. 

38 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Skenes, like other power pitchers, will need TJ at some point. Keep this is mind any time you want to do a position player for pitcher swap.

Probably. But with Skenes this team could win this year

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I think if TEX had to do that all over again, they wouldn’t. Everyone recognizes now that was a huge mistake.

That is certainly not the norm though. You usually don’t need to give up a potential ace for a mediocre bp arm.

Ask their rings.

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I wonder how the Hangout would be reacting to Haders 0-2 record 1 blown save and his 8.38 ERA. 9 runs, 11 hits, and 5 walks, in 9.1 innings.   Just a bad start but can you imagine the panic?

I really can't imagine Elias locking up another closer for multiple years, nor can I imagine Hader taking the risk that he would be the second best closer on the team for multiple years. 

1 hour ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Yeah I agree with your thought process on position players vs pitchers. But that’s also why the young cheap guys like Skenes are worth so much. Yeah, he may break, but he’s cheap and you don’t have to give him a ton of money like you would for a free agent pitcher. With our current situation, I’d definitely do Holliday for Skenes straight up. It’s very likely Holliday provides more value during their controlled years, but he’s more easily replaced. If we’re lucky and Skenes and Grayson can have a few healthy years together, I think that gives us a better chance at a world series than 6 healthy years of Holliday. 

I disagree. If Holliday becomes an elite MVP caliber player like his talent suggests that is more impactful than a pitcher (even an elite one) who only impacts you every 5th day.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ask their rings.

The most likely would have won without acquiring Chapman. They probably could have been better off acquiring Robertson.

But I remember at the time many posters panning the Royals for the return they received. Turns out their gm/front office knew a bit more than many of our arm chair gms here.

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The most likely would have won without acquiring Chapman. They probably could have been better off acquiring Robertson.

But I remember at the time many posters panning the Royals for the return they received. Turns out their gm/front office knew a bit more than many of our arm chair gms here.

They barely made the playoffs, they barely beat the Astros.

My guess is the Rangers, and their fans, are happy enough with the deal.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Not sure but the kid on Oakland, Mason Miller, would certainly be intriguing.  

He looks like a TJ surgery waiting to happen. Gotta figure you’d lose 1.5-2 years of however long you have him. What do you think it would take to trade for him?

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

He looks like a TJ surgery waiting to happen. Gotta figure you’d lose 1.5-2 years of however long you have him. What do you think it would take to trade for him?

Good question.

9 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I wouldn't go to that extreme about prospects, but until proven otherwise prospects are the only way that they will be able to extend any window of competitiveness. The new ownership could change our perspective, but we don't know yet. Any trade would really need to be for someone with more than 1 year left.

I might have had a bit of undetected sarcasm in my post.  I love our prospects, but several are clearly blocked.  Also, our player development system is incredible, but even so not 100% of the prospects will be impact major league players.

• Upvote 1