Would you trade Kjerstad for an elite controlled reliever?

I would rather add one very good to great reliever than multiple mediocre relievers.  As we learned last year, adding mediocre relievers is often no improvement at all and can make the team worse.  I would want at least 3 years of control.  I know a lot of posters will say this is a serious overpay, but Kjerstad is quite limited defensively and it seems he will never be an adequate LF at Camden Yards.  He also seems unable at present to play a MLB 1B.  Feel free to add insight on whether this will change.  So we are basically looking at a RF/DH.  He's an O'Hearn replacement who can't handle 1B.  Ouch.  I think the bat would be great, but where do you play him if Mayo ends up at 1B and Adley needs DH at bats?

No. Make that, absolutely not. But a very good controllable starter, now we're talking. 

You don't need to give up a top prospect for a good reliever. Plenty will be available at the deadline for much less.

• Upvote 3

Not Kjerstad but perhaps someone else like Stowers or Norby or further on down the prospect list.  The O's have to trade some of these guys for pitching pretty soon -- unless they start trading veterans.  

I don't see a reliever fitting the description in the OP being available but if they were I'd probably do it. Kjerstad could be a great bat but very limited defensively and I have no doubt Elias & Co. will keep that position player prospect pipeline (say that three times fast) filled. Beavers is already at double-A looking great. 

It would depend on how elite said reliever is. In an ideal world you use him to go get someone like luzardo instead (with a bigger package around him rather than mayo / basallo) but if you get to the deadline and the guardians are selling and you can get clase for another 2.5 years cost controlled and that feels like the missing piece….id consider it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

It would depend on how elite said reliever is. In an ideal world you use him to go get someone like luzardo instead (with a bigger package around him rather than mayo / basallo) but if you get to the deadline and the guardians are selling and you can get clase for another 2.5 years cost controlled and that feels like the missing piece….id consider it. 

Congrats really good post,Clase for Kjerstad would flip the entire narrative of this BP, there not going to get Luzardo for a package headed by Kjerstad

3 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Congrats really good post,Clase for Kjerstad would flip the entire narrative of this BP, there not going to get Luzardo for a package headed by Kjerstad

We're not going to get Burnes for a package headed by Ortiz...