Bubble Teams

waroriole

I would like to nominate Auburn to be in the NCAA tourney regardless of the SEC tourney outcome. They've won 8 of 9, they finished 10-6 in the SEC, they beat LSU and Tennessee. Most importantly they play harder than any team I've seen this year. War Eagle!!!!

Also, what bubble teams do you want to discuss.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of right now, Auburn is the best team in the SEC, but it's still going to take an SEC tourney championship to get in. No other bubble team in the country can say they're playing as well as Auburn right now, but unfortunately the season as whole is going to keep them out. The best non-conference win was at Virginia and there were way too many missed opportunities early in the season that hurts. Finishing strong is nice and it's cool to at least be in the talk for the first time since 2003, but its SEC title or bust.

As of right now, Auburn is the best team in the SEC, but it's still going to take an SEC tourney championship to get in. No other bubble team in the country can say they're playing as well as Auburn right now, but unfortunately the season as whole is going to keep them out. The best non-conference win was at Virginia and there were way too many missed opportunities early in the season that hurts. Finishing strong is nice and it's cool to at least be in the talk for the first time since 2003, but its SEC title or bust.

I think, and I'm obviously biased, that if we beat Florida (or Arkansas) on Friday we're in. Yes, the non-conference season hurts us, but we are probably one of the 25 best teams in the country right now. The blowout of LSU should have put us in the tourney. This is a completely different team from the one that played our non-conference season. I think this team would now beat Dayton, Xavier and Northern Iowa. Something has clicked with these guys, and if they get in they could do some real damage in the tourney.

I'm pulling for Jeff Lebo and you guys as well. I've been following them for a few years now and this is what Lebo had hoped for last year before Barber got hurt. I hope they have a good showing in the SEC tourney and somehow sneak in.

Hopefully now the program has turned the corner and he can get some job security there and turn Auburn into a consistent winner.

Has that conference ever gotten two in? I can't imagine Siena getting an at large bid.

I have no idea. I'd think not. But on ESPN2 during halftime of VCU's demolition of GMU, they did a blind bid thing where they compared Siena's resume to S. Carolina (strenght of schedule, all that) and Siena was favorable. They'd be in the equation.

Hey, Mason was an at large bid in 2006 and they were the 65th team to get in. They made the committee look good.

I have no idea. I'd think not. But on ESPN2 during halftime of VCU's demolition of GMU, they did a blind bid thing where they compared Siena's resume to S. Carolina (strenght of schedule, all that) and Siena was favorable. They'd be in the equation.

Hey, Mason was an at large bid in 2006 and they were the 65th team to get in. They made the committee look good.

Interesting. I'd like to see a team like that get in to be honest.

Great point on George Mason. That worked out ok.

The thing Siena has going for them is they are 0-5 against rpi top 50 teams, yet isnt the SC record as well? Doesnt seems to bother the like of Lunardi or Bilas one bit:rolleyes:

If the committee is going to consider how well teams finish Auburn certainly has a legitimate case. What is killing you guys is the best OOC schedule and the SEC's general weakness this year.

No question the OOC schedule is what is hurting us now. I think the SEC's "weakness" is a bit overblown. They're certainly not as good as the Big East or ACC, but I think they match up pretty well with every other conference. Maybe not as good, but pretty close. If the committee looks at how each team is playing, then Auburn should be in easily.

I think, and I'm obviously biased, that if we beat Florida (or Arkansas) on Friday we're in. Yes, the non-conference season hurts us, but we are probably one of the 25 best teams in the country right now. The blowout of LSU should have put us in the tourney. This is a completely different team from the one that played our non-conference season. I think this team would now beat Dayton, Xavier and Northern Iowa. Something has clicked with these guys, and if they get in they could do some real damage in the tourney.

No doubt that right now, we are a tourney team. However, looking at the season as a whole, we are not. The way we are playing now, I think we can do more damage in the tournament than other bubble teams, but we just haven't proven it all year long. Even if we win a couple and make it to the SEC championship game, it is still going to take a lot for us to get in. Check out a recent post on Joe Cribbs Car Wash (great Auburn Blog if you've never visited it). It breaks down what needs to happen, and doesn't paint a pretty picture. Lebo just needs to stop all the at-large talk and emphasize to the players that winning the SEC Tourney is their only chance...can't fall back on anything else.

Beating Florida and UT and then losing in the finals to LSU might squeak us into the tourney as an at-large, but we would still need a lot to fall our way...i just don't see it happening.

But we are atleast getting some attention now. We actually picked up some votes in the AP poll, and we've got the picture on the front page of ESPN.com in the "Forde Minutes" article.

No doubt that right now, we are a tourney team. However, looking at the season as a whole, we are not. The way we are playing now, I think we can do more damage in the tournament than other bubble teams, but we just haven't proven it all year long. Even if we win a couple and make it to the SEC championship game, it is still going to take a lot for us to get in. Check out a recent post on Joe Cribbs Car Wash (great Auburn Blog if you've never visited it). It breaks down what needs to happen, and doesn't paint a pretty picture. Lebo just needs to stop all the at-large talk and emphasize to the players that winning the SEC Tourney is their only chance...can't fall back on anything else.

Beating Florida and UT and then losing in the finals to LSU might squeak us into the tourney as an at-large, but we would still need a lot to fall our way...i just don't see it happening.

But we are atleast getting some attention now. We actually picked up some votes in the AP poll, and we've got the picture on the front page of ESPN.com in the "Forde Minutes" article.

Nice website, I've never seen it. I was reading the football portion that discussed the Tide's potential punishment from the NCAA and it brought a smile to my face.

Apparently everyone believes the Tigers need at least 2 wins, but I hold out hope that the committee sees just how well they are playing now.

Archived