Power Rankings 2024

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I've never been a big Stowers believer but I'd be happy to be wrong.  Dude deserves more at bats...I get it, it's a crowded situation but he's made the most of his at bats so far this year and has been mashing.   Going to be par for the course if he sits today after hitting a homer yesterday so I won't be surprised.  Gotta find out what you have in this dude though and so far he hasn't disappointed during this stretch in Baltimore.
    • You stopped just shy of Hunter Harvey (2013) and Marcus Stroman (2012).   The fact is, going back to 2000, of those 24 picks at #22, 16 were pitchers.  Not many success stories.  Kolten Wong is the only notable college position players.  Colson Montgomery (22) is a top prospect but hitting .223 at AAA and far from a sure thing.  Colton Emerson, a HS SS chosen last year gets rave reviews but he’s got a long way to go.    So, not many success stories no matter which demographic you go with.  Position players are always going to be safer.
    • It's  hard to say what Cowser or Stowers is or will be but I think Stowers deserves at least a couple of weeks of consistent ABs at this point. Cowser looks like he can't hit a breaking ball to save his life right now and after seeing a couple of those he swings right through the fastball. Stowers could be similar but let's find out. 
    • I wasn’t able to watch all of his first start but in his second start, Povich was really, really good at locating his fastball at or above the top of the zone and his curve at or below the zone. I think the fact that it’s not a great fastball may get hitters to still swing at it at a high rate there, and even though it’s not going to get the same whiffs as a better fastball he’s been super effective getting pop-ups with it (which are actually an even better outcome than a whiff!). That’s why his hard hit rate, barrel rate and xERA are so low - similar to Suarez (although Suarez gets whiffs up there too). If Povich can consistently do that, work in the cutter for strikes and get whiffs on the curve, I think he can be successful even if the fastball is lacking.  So far I’ve only really seen Povich use his sweeper against lefties, and that’s just fine. Even if the league is getting better at hitting them, that’s always going to be an effective pitch against leftie and it’s his only pitch with a heavy platoon advantage. He just needs some combination of the cutter and change to be effective in-zone pitches for him against righties because he’s going to need to live at the top border with his 4-seamer and that will make it harder to reliably get strikes that way.  (Btw, I don’t put too much stock on the Stuff+ grades for changeups. Anecdotally, there are really very few changeups that grade well by Stuff+, the ones that do are more the screwball variety than a classic straight change without the forceful pronation. They’re very reliant on location and IMO that’s easier when you’re just trying to deaden the pitch rather than pronante for movement.)
    • I think it makes a lot of sense to just coin the term:  Pissle. 
    • A real piss missile or dildo, I can't remember which, in his vernacular.
  • Popular Contributors