Cionel Perez 2024

Tony-OH

I do feel like today Cionel represents a maybe, maybe not kind of pitcher as Elias assembles 12-13 pitchers to play October with.

During talent accumulation, you hold borderline talents a long time and people get used to having them.     We all saw how Dombrowski just acted with Seranthony who had been in the org 12 years.

I think Jacob Webb is in a similar situation, hoping Elias doesn't add more than one reliever, but if for the sake of conversation we have Scott, Nardi and Brebbia tomorrow night, I won't lose any sleep about Webb/Cionel being underdogs to even make the postseason roster.

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting.  He’s 2-0, has 2 saves and 13 holds, and hasn’t blown a save all year.  He’s allowed 26% of inherited runners to score, well below league average.  He has a .451 OPS against in high leverage situations.  He’s pitched in 14 games where the O’s had a 1-2 run lead or the game was tied, and has allowed a run exactly one time.  So, I’d say he’s been pretty damned successful in tough situations.  

Your blown save stat that you love so much is a bs stat.

His Bb rate is 4. His xERA is just over 4. Below average K rate. He has a mediocre statcast page.

Thats what he is.  A mediocre reliever capable of looking very good and very bad. He’s basically a lefty version of Dillon Tate. When they are on, they get ground balls, get some Ks and can very effective. But they largely don’t throw enough strikes and can’t be counted on when you need them the most.

• 5 weeks later...

Very nice four-out outing from Cionel last night.  One tidbit they dropped (and have mentioned a couple of times recently) is that he’s now gone 90 straight appearances without allowing a homer; his last homer (actually, two of them) allowed was May 31, 2023.  And actually, before that he’d gone 53 straight appearances without allowing a homer.  So, he’s given up homers in only 1 appearance out of his last 143.   

Jim Palmer was very unhappy that Kevin Brown mentioned the homerless streak while Pérez was on the mound.  Good to see Jim is as superstitious as some of the fan base.  Kevin apparently isn’t.  

• Upvote 1